Audiophile Chairs

blessingx

I would recommend sitting in one before buying it. I bought mine blind because I love the Eames' design. I was a bit underwhelmed the first day. This is not the type of chair you sink into. However with a few more days of use, it has really grown on me. I don't regret the decision and really enjoy the chair, but would highly recommend you try one out before buying it. I could see it not being for everyone.

• 5 years later...

back from the dead - rise thread rise !

Any new thoughts on this topic? I use an Ikea poang now but find it really bothers my forearms and elbows during long sessions in a way that Mike's Eames knock off did not. 

Look at a knock off/reproduction Eames any suggestions - the Manhattan Design version looks really good but on the pricier end for a knock off.  http://www.manhattanhomedesign.com/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman.html

Edited by jp11801
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
back from the dead - rise thread rise !
Any new thoughts on this topic? I use an Ikea poang now but find it really bothers my forearms and elbows during long sessions in a way that Mike's Eames knock off did not. 
Look at a knock off/reproduction Eames any suggestions - the Manhattan Design version looks really good but on the pricier end for a knock off.  http://www.manhattanhomedesign.com/eames-lounge-chair-and-ottoman.html

Jp, did you end up trying one of these?

This is mine. Looks kind of funky by comparison with the mega-chairs on this list - but there was a reason for choosing it. First off, it is comfortable - it supports your lower back and fits like you are being hugged. Second it is easy to move out into the listenening position from where it sits out of the way (where it is when I just took this photo.

And finally, and most importantly, it puts your head in the air, with no obstruction behind your ears. So you don't have the back of a chair behind your ears modifying the acoustics.

chair.jpg

Haven't made the purchase yet I splurged on the MBP so I am waiting a bit for the new chair. I am concerned about the reflective issue with a head rest but also want to be comfortable. 

Thanks JP. I ordered another chair from the same vendor, in “upgraded” leather. I think it could have been packed a bit better, you can see on the front corner of the seat where it was compressed in shipping. I think it will even out, but still. The leather is decent, I expect the cheaper option wouldn’t be passable. Will be a good office chair for the home-office-bedroom.

6d7f3552ffc3f097e90316fd1bc4d065.jpg
  • Like 1

Headrests like that can make a significant difference in the sound.

For a mild demonstration, listen normally than fold your hands behind your head like they often show in "dad's relaxing" pictures. 

To me it sounds a little like having some room treatments (maybe reducing some early reflections?).

So, just because it changes the sound doesn't mean that's a bad thing. 

For casual listening, it's obviously up to you.

Edited by ironbut

• 1 month later...
On 30.09.2017 at 7:57 PM, ironbut said:

Headrests like that can make a significant difference in the sound.

For a mild demonstration, listen normally than fold your hands behind your head like they often show in "dad's relaxing" pictures. 

To me it sounds a little like having some room treatments (maybe reducing some early reflections?).

So, just because it changes the sound doesn't mean that's a bad thing. 

For casual listening, it's obviously up to you.

Yup, I've experienced this too. The sound is less open with headrest, at least that's how it is at my place.