electrostat amp.

GoRedwings19

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a pic of the front panel with the wood trim. I saved it as a TIFF otherwise the JPEG compression dulls all the color in the wood.

This wood has only been sprayed with clear laquer to get an idea of how it will look, the real ones are being polished by hand (tomorrow)

http://www.headamp.com/aristaeus_front.tif

I can't see it... >:(

has the pic been removed...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the EA-6 has landed - Homeland Security is definitely keeping us safe from Canadian headphone amps...

100_1959.jpg

100_1962.jpg

100_1966.jpg

But, all seems well so far... still acclimating. Preliminary: Outstanding on accoustic cuts (Dire straits - Why Worry), and not quite ready to rock (Skynyrd, Devo, Jet). Next up: Allison Krauss, Janes Addiction, Velvet Revolver, NIN... we'll see.

Proceeding with the Blue Hawaii build so far, as I haven't heard anything that says 'Don't bother'. Of course, i didn't hear that with the ES-1 (Rob, aka bahamaman) or the HEV90 (McManus) either.

Somehow I bet the duct tape wasn't DHS provided.

Well, the EA-6 has landed - Homeland Security is definitely keeping us safe from Canadian headphone amps...

100_1959.jpg

100_1962.jpg

But, all seems well so far... still acclimating. Preliminary: Outstanding on accoustic cuts (Dire straits - Why Worry), and not quite ready to rock (Skynyrd, Devo, Jet). Next up: Allison Krauss, Janes Addiction, Velvet Revolver, NIN... we'll see.

Proceeding with the Blue Hawaii build so far, as I haven't heard anything that says 'Don't bother'. Of course, i didn't hear that with the ES-1 (Rob, aka bahamaman) or the HEV90 (McManus) either.

Yep, not totally thrilled with the exemplary selection of Realistic tubes.... and wondering if some better glass will sound better?

1x12BQ6

5x6BQ6

4x6CG7

2x12AT7

It was nice of Customs to take several tubes completely out of the boxes for me, to save all that unpacking time. But, there are places this sounds absolutely spectacular (this amp LOVES NIN - Pretty Hate Machine)

According to Peter you shouldn't bother, but definatley try it out for your own piece of mind. ;)

Several manufacturers have said that tube rolling will not affect their amps. ::) Ray Samuels and Helmut Becker (AudioValve) come to mind. Both were wrong. Maybe Peter is right, and different tubes will not affect his amps. There's always a first time for this claim to be true. :P

Good point, I will definately be trying tube rolling on my amp... just going to keep an open mind. I'm confident that if there is a change I will still notice it regardless of what Peter tells me, but by the same token I don't want to convince myself that there will be a change and imagine something.