Advice on new tv

shellylh

My partner and I are thinking that we may want to buy ourselves a new tv for Christmas (probably 50").

Right now we have a Samsung 40" 720p LCD. We have been pretty happy with it but I think it is time for a step up.

We have a lot of windows in the living room but do most of our watching at night. Any suggestions? How is Sony vs Samsung?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion would be to get a local dimming LED LCD TV. The Samsung 8500 series are pretty sweet and would be my choice but are in the top range of the price category.

Samsung, Pioneer, and Pansonic also have some nice Plasmas with great picture quality but they won't look as good during the day with lots of light and they get hotter and use a lot more power.

Edited by naamanf

Panasonic is probably the best bang for the buck in plasma, but I prefer Samsung for picture quality -- admittedly, not by much, you probably can't go wrong with either choice.

Ditto Sony vs. Samsung vs. Sharp for LCD.

I mean, it's getting to the point where they all are really close.

And ditto on watching TV by day -- probably should go LCD or LED-backlit LCD.

And I, too, am waiting for certain improvements -- OLED and 3D, myself. I'm looking at just getting something 42"-46" 1080p 120Hz/240Hz/600Hz for the interim.

Your single best improvement will be to go 1080p from 720p, so make sure you get that, even if you don't increase size. I'd also try to get at least 120Hz. That's probably the single biggest step (from 60Hz to 120Hz) in the range (60-120, 120-240, 240-600).

if you're going to get a set under 54" or so, the 1080P vs. 720P difference is essentially meaningless at typical viewing distances, if all the blind tests i've read about over the years are to be believed. most sets in the 50"+ range are 1080P though.

Well that certainly makes sense at any size. :)

if you're going to get a set under 54" or so, the 1080P vs. 720P difference is essentially meaningless at typical viewing distances, if all the blind tests i've read about over the years are to be believed. most sets in the 50"+ range are 1080P though. i would choose even brightness and fast refresh over the extra resolution, any day of the week.
Not all sets in the 50"+ range are 1080p. Especially the cheapest ones.

And: pfff -- I disagree completely. But the answer is to go into the store yourself, and see for yourself -- but his point about typical viewing distances is a good one. People have a tendency to get way too close in the store, when they really don't at home. Figure out the distance you usually view at at home, then use that as a gauge when in the store.

And I would totally ignore his comment about blind tests -- he's a zealot -- the only two to whom it matters is yourself and your partner. If either one of you can see the difference, that's all that matters.

No, I didn't say that. I just said it's the best place for the single biggest improvement -- the implication being "...all other things being equal".

Have you even really seen that? Have you even made the comparison for yourself? Yes, even lighting is important, but it's fairly ubiquitous in the brands we've been discussing. If you jump from 60 Hz to 120 Hz (what I cited as my second most important criteria -- and there's no reason you can't have both), fast refresh comes along for the ride automatically. But 60 Hz is already pretty fucking fast, especially if you have a pretty good upsampler (usually meaning whatever is in your DVD player, anyway).

And final snarky answer: so you'd prefer to statistically validate everyone else's opinion rather than coming up with your own? Okay, sheeple.

Ok, I guess people can have different opinions. A trip to the local big box store seems to be in order.

Possible to get 1080p, good lighting, 50/52" and fast refresh rate below $2000 or should I stick to 46"? We sit about 15 feet away from the TV.

Reks: How would you suggest avoiding "splotchy lighting and jittery movement"?

So, what is the difference between something like Panasonic TC-P50G10 and TC-P50V10?

They seem to have similar specs except cost.

It is Reks opinion that either one of these would be better than a non-LED LCD?

Also, I have heard stuff about plasmas making some buzzing noise or getting pixels burned in - both of which worry me.

The Panasonic Viera TC-P50G10 looks reasonable.

I bought that exact TV a few months back Shelly, and I'm very happy with it.

The screen burn ins is pretty much a thing of the past with the newer plasmas, and lifespan is very similar to LCD now as well. Haven't heard of the buzzing issue, but mine has no such problem.

Since my room is dark, plasma was the right choice for me. The background is Blacker than any LCD or LED that I looked at.

Edited by swt61

It's not wrong if it's an opinion -- I'm severely negatively affected by digital picture artifacts (to the point where I delayed entry into DVD for years, and invested heavily into laserdisc), so to me it's more important than it is to you. Seeing how many people look at blotchy screens (this was especially obvious in the CRT era, when screens needed regular demagnetizing, and most didn't), I have come to believe that most laypeople wouldn't notice.

:asshat:

Thats around $3000 for the 46" right? My parents are looking into getting a LED LCD for around $2K as well

$2,580.16 from amazon.com directly (you need to put it in your shopping cart and start to check out to see the price)

Edit: It seems that the UN46B8500 is not in stock right now at amazon but you can order it at the price I stated above.

I saw the UN55B8500 at BB yesterday and it was very nice. I think I am going to go for the non-LED for now and maybe upgrade a few years down the line - just don't think it is worth it. Right now I am leaning towards the Samsung LN52B750 for many reasons (more than just picture quality - and not just because I want to upset Reks ;) ). I spent a lot of time looking at (albeit probably non-calibrated tvs playing non-interesting material) tvs at BB and was pretty impressed with the the LN52B750.