Advice on new tv

shellylh

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One heads-up when viewing at a big box store: I can't prove this, but it sure seemed like they were pumping really low-quality, compressed video into most of the TVs. I never really saw what my TV was capable of until I actually owned it and played a Blu-Ray disc. If you can, preview a live HD broadcast, or better yet a Blu-Ray disc; but this is hard to do at the big box stores.

I ended up with an LCD because I watch in a room with a lot of windows, including directly opposite the TV. As has been said, everyone has priorities. For me, the glare on all of the plasmas was more than I could stand. Blacker blacks is very unimportant to me, and the brighter screen on the LCD won me over. I agree that plasma is better from a wider viewing angle, but I'm always right in front of the screen anyway. Find out what is important for you.

Finally, I'd consider getting a Netflix-capable DVD player/TV if you don't already have a way to stream directly to your TV (more convenient than plugging in the laptop for me). That is my wife's favorite feature on our new TV.

I don't know about low-quality/compressed, but yes, I agree -- that has a lot to do with why they look all the same: something is wrong. Personally, I think it's the video distribution system -- they probably go through switches and amps and cheap cables and whatnot, and that's a seriously weak link in chain stores. :rimshot:

Before purchasing a new TV it's always best to get the retailer to take the TV off the same video loop which feeds all the shops video, and ask them for a demo connected separately to a dvd/blu-ray player ect...

As a number of members have said in so many words, the retailers do not really display the screens properly, which dosn't help!

However with guys such as ourselves, we would look and ask, because of our pastime and the seeking of picture quality.

A number of the population just want good price, looks, and to be happy with what they see with first impressions.

I have a Pioneer Kuro PDP6090 for the main room and would be happy with an LED-LCD Samsung for the bedroom.

Panasonic do have a rather large selection, of which as mentioned before can be very confusing indeed.

:confused::confused:

It's not wrong if it's an opinion -- I'm severely negatively affected by digital picture artifacts (to the point where I delayed entry into DVD for years, and invested heavily into laserdisc), so to me it's more important than it is to you. Seeing how many people look at blotchy screens (this was especially obvious in the CRT era, when screens needed regular demagnetizing, and most didn't), I have come to believe that most laypeople wouldn't notice.

:asshat:

I agree with your views on the Digital artifacts first noted on DVD, of which I invested into at the same time as I was importing Laserdisc's from the USA.

I bought into both but preferred LD, but then again ''for me personally'' it's not just the picture or sound, but also the collectability of the artwork which is very attractive........I am still purchasing Laserdisc's today.

Laserdisc lives comfortably with my DVD / HD DVD & Blu-ray's their all great.

Sincere Regards

grenert: I have a PS3 Blu-Ray and an Oppo DV-980H for upconverting DVDs. Also, we use Media Mall's Playon to stream Hulu and Netflix to the TV so I am good there (although it would be nice to be able to stream hulu without streaming from an external PC).

Will the BB employees hook up a TV to a DVD or Blu Ray player and play something that you bring in? Seems like a lot of work especially if I am not going to buy it there.

Actually, the main thing is to hook it up directly -- you don't necessarily need to bring anything of yours in. I wouldn't, but mostly because I'm lazy that way. Also, if you do put them through that much trouble, you really should purchase from them. I mean, think about it, if we put all the local stores out of business, you soon won't have that option (of seeing it before buying it).

Difference between the Panny G10 and V10 series is the V10 is the current top of the line.

Samsung plasmas are the panels that seem to have the worst buzzing issue right now.

As far as 1080p vs 720p goes, most cable signals are not 1080p anyway. I am on Cox and the best I get is 720p.

Check out the LG LH90 series TV's. Right now they seem to be the best bang for the buck tv out there. There panels seem to be more reliable that the Samsungs right now. I have seen the LG55lh90's go in the low 2k's. I own two LG's and have not had any problems at all.

You might also look at the Toshibas. They are a very affordable set. They seem to have resolved a lot of their issues and are much better this year.

The main benefit I get from Bluray is the audio. When it comes to the video I tend to get so wrapped up in the movie I can't tell a lot of difference between DVD and Bluray. I have two LG LCD's and a Toshiba Cinema Series rear projection. When it comes to movies I actually prefer the picture on the Toshiba and it is only 720p/1080i. It is more film like to me. But for regular programing the LCD's dominate. That being said I would only buy a 1080p set which I intend to do for Xmas and it will be LG 55LH90.

Explicitly, no.

my understanding is that it was a way to get the feature to market sooner rather than later.
See above link -- you're essentially right, but it also appears to have something to do with their extant agreement with Microsoft (so it's probably some loophole in an aspect of the agreement that was intended to prevent competition).

Bit of a bummer. I appreciate it being mentioned -- forewarned is forearmed and all that.