XP hell

Ok, I have a 10 year old nephew with a laptop. This was purchased by his IBC mother (my sister) at a pawn shop for cheap, and, of course, without the original XP media.

Need I say more?

But, I'm stuck getting XP back on it.

The machine is not up for Vista, nor Win7 (pity, because I have a spare Vista upgrade), and Linux (Ubutu, etc) just is not an option for the spawn of IBC.

So, how do I get a reasonable version of XP?

XP isn't that bad, and hell it's 7 yrs old now....

Vista got a bad rap due to crappy early driver support and despite ending up as a pretty solid OS was never able to change that early perception.

Windows 7 has been very good so far.

The problem with both XP and Vista is it takes a lot of tweaking to get them to be stable and perform well on a regular basis. At least that is my take. In addition Vista does some pretty intrusive shit that also takes up a lot of CPU time and cannot be turned off, at least not easily, without causing cascading problems. On the other hand OS X is not trouble-free either.

The problem with both XP and Vista is it takes a lot of tweaking to get them to be stable and perform well on a regular basis.

While I agree about Vista (it's buggy as all hell on my home laptop) I've had nothing but good luck with XP from a stability standpoint with no user interference required. It's still my preferred OS given the software I have to run. OS-X has certainly been more stable on my macbook than any other OS I've run but I also don't mess around with that laptop like I do my other computers.