FYI, current production PS3 doesn't play SACD. While I like mine, I also use it for gaming as well as streaming video from my iMac. The consistent firmware updates helped it be one of the best BD players early as it had less issues compared to the competitors - I don't know how much of this is still the case with the format settling down a bit. If you use universal remotes, it won't work with PS3 unless you add a 3rd-party accessory since its remote works via Bluetooth.

Use PS3 Media Server (if you're streaming from PC; if you have songs on the hdd then I'm not sure (move them :))). The program shows up in the main list under Video, Audio, etc. You select it and it takes you into whatever folder structure you have setup on the PC. Perfect as long as you keep your folders organized like I do.

It has really good codec support too... better than any other software I've tried.

edit: Only problem I've run into is that it has to buffer each song before it plays. I usually have a 2 or 3 second gap between songs. So, no gapless playback. It might be better if you're not on wireless.

I bought one and I'm not a gamer at all. But I should explain to you that I have very specific plans for it (hack a linux partition onto it, etc.). And 's'truth about current gen not playing SACD.

Did you get a slim?

I've started looking at what it'll take to hardwire my PS3 since wireless performance in my house seems to be not so great and I really do hope to try the Netflix streaming option soon. So when I playback music it's usually off of a thumb drive and that's where the annoying alphabetical syndrome comes from.

I've started looking at what it'll take to hardwire my PS3 since wireless performance in my house seems to be not so great and I really do hope to try the Netflix streaming option soon. So when I playback music it's usually off of a thumb drive and that's where the annoying alphabetical syndrome comes from.

I have a pair of those things that sends the network over the power lines and I find it works very well. YMMV

It's in a box tucked away until I get some time to myself. It'd be easier if I could find the ad...hold on...this one.

:palm:

Why wouldn't I be able to load linux onto it? It's a computer, it's just a matter of hitting it with the right hammer, innit?

(wanders off to do some research -- helpful links would not go ignored)

Edited by Dusty Chalk

It's in a box tucked away until I get some time to myself. It'd be easier if I could find the ad...hold on...this one.

:palm:

Why wouldn't I be able to load linux onto it? It's a computer, it's just a matter of hitting it with the right hammer, innit?

(wanders off to do some research -- helpful links would not go ignored)

Oh, that is a good model - before they took out SACD capability and PS2 hardware.

On that model, you can load Linux on it. It's the current production models (i.e., Slims) that you can no longer load Linux.

Oh, okay, (wipes brow...which ends up looking just like...) :palm:

It was shiny and black, so I just thought...I made sure it had the SACD compatability, but wasn't aware that not all PS3's could have linux loaded onto it, so did not check that at all.

Dinny -- the honest answer is, "I'm not sure". It's a computer, so the possibilities are endless, but I don't know what non-game utilities are available via standard deployment options other than streaming, which, as has already been said, is certainly available elsewhere.

EDIT: Well, apparently you can do Folding@home if that interests you at all. (The CPU inside this thing is unholy powerful. Folding@home is that technology that allows your computer to utilize idol clock cycles contributing to searching for the cure for cancer.)