Audio myths that need to die

aerius

once you get beyond a Glite and an HD580, there is only a 10 percent refinement that can be reached... and the rest of the big money is wasteful. The truth is that there are levels well beyond the mid-fi stuff that most head-fiers havn't seen. No, there is not a 5 percent difference between a K701 and an L3000, the ATH is a far better headphone. Same thing with amps, just because the gilmore light is class A doesnt' mean it sounds the same as a Zana Deux or dynamight.

Most of what i hear is placebo due to the money i've thrown at it. I wish this was the case, but in reality, if you can't tell the difference between a low-fi rig and a good rig you got nothing to blame but your ears. your friends bose speakers sound nothing like a hi-fi rig.

once you get beyond a Glite and an HD580, there is only a 10 percent refinement that can be reached... and the rest of the big money is wasteful. The truth is that there are levels well beyond the mid-fi stuff that most head-fiers havn't seen. No, there is not a 5 percent difference between a K701 and an L3000, the ATH is a far better headphone. Same thing with amps, just because the gilmore light is class A doesnt' mean it sounds the same as a Zana Deux or dynamight.

Most of what i hear is placebo due to the money i've thrown at it. I wish this was the case, but in reality, if you can't tell the difference between a low-fi rig and a good rig you got nothing to blame but your ears. your friends bose speakers sound nothing like a hi-fi rig.

lots of headfiers have a serious sour grapes issue, thats why we all get to see idiots trolling threads everyday or so. the zhaolu and storm craze were also great examples of that.

I prefer every other AT. I've only heard the A500, AD2000, W5000, W11jpn and L3000. The L3000 is super bass heavy, doesn't have the soundstage and imaging of the other ATs, slightly recessed midrange and a grainy treble. Being made out of the most luxurious leather is all it has going for it imo

edit: sorry Reks I didn't see your post.

I see the AT house sound very "down the hall sounding", where I see myself in the middle of a long hall way and the speakers are at the far ends of the right and left side of me. alot of sony headphones remind of this also. I always thought japan just liked it this way. american companies like the bass and french companies love their highs..but thats just me. the l3000 is the one AT can that does not have much of the hall sound to me.

and Grawk i don't think you need to spend $1,000 to get good room acoustics, in fact I seen there is really no right way of doing it. my point was speakers can do something headphones can not if you play with the room and placement enough. I did not judge his sound system for anything like we judge our headphone rig's cause I was so blasted by the effect of placement and depth I was just amazed. He had his speakers very near field and if I had to describe what I heard that day it would be like.. imagine every air molcule in that room as a seperate speaker on its own seprate channel working completely different then the next molcule...it really sounded like that..weird like a magic show.

of course my room of gear does not sound nothing close to that...arrrrr..lol

The reality of the world I live in is it'll be a decade or more before I have a dedicated listening room, so the closest I'll get to ideal sound involves headphones. Which is fine by me, it allows me to have heaven at work, at home, wherever.

Don't know if this counts as a myth, but I get annoyed to no end whenever I hear "you are not really a music-lover if you don't have X number of CDs/LPs and go to Y number of live shows per week." That really pisses me off.

Oh, here's another one: Grado headphones match well with the RA-1 :mikey2: :mikey2:

Ok, how about "You may be a music lover, but you should wait until you've heard more music to spout off at others" if you haven't been to X (well over 50) live performances and/or own X (well over 100) pieces of recorded audio. (I'm not suggesting this is a myth)

Don't know if this counts as a myth, but I get annoyed to no end whenever I hear "you are not really a music-lover if you don't have X number of CDs/LPs and go to Y number of live shows per week." That really pisses me off.

Oh, here's another one: Grado headphones match well with the RA-1 :mikey2: :mikey2:

Whats bad about the RA-1, I've never heard one.

While quality of parts matters, simple designs often sound better than the sum of their parts.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that statement as long as you change it to:

While quality of parts matters, simple designs can sound better than the sum of their parts.

The problem is really elegant designs that take advantage of tight integration of parts are not easy to come by. Nelson Pass amps are a beautiful thing; not many people can design like that.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that statement as long as you change it to:

While quality of parts matters, simple designs can sound better than the sum of their parts.

The problem is really elegant designs that take advantage of tight integration of parts are not easy to come by. Nelson Pass amps are a beautiful thing; not many people can design like that.

Granted.

Well, to me, the RA-1 is just a cMoy in a wooden enclosure, and it sure sounds like it too. And on top of that, it's very over-priced.

So you've heard the RA-1 with Grados? They actually didn't sound too bad when I heard 325is with the RA-1, seemed alright. Anyways, to make it simple, a ton of amps are overpriced in the 0-300 dollar price range

So you've heard the RA-1 with Grados? They actually didn't sound too bad when I heard 325is with the RA-1, seemed alright. Anyways, to make it simple, a ton of amps are overpriced in the 0-300 dollar price range

I owned a Ra-1 and didnt know any better back then, not that I surely do now..j/k

The feeling I got when I found out what was inside that amp and how many clones I heard reminds me of when I got that feeling when I found out my Tissot that costs $300 has the same movement by the same company as a $1,500 Tag..well Instead I was on the cmoy end of the deal this time. II think its 90% of watchs made have the movements made by one big company yet the different price ranges are nuts.

That block of maghony wood and the Grado stamp is something to be held up high and at one point in my life I thought it was worth enough to buy.

Yeah I have, I heard a RA-1+RS-1 combo at a meet. While it was decent, it's nothing really to get excited about. I guess I should've phrased what I said more modestly. What I meant to say was that I heard better amps for the RS-1 at the RA-1's price range.