Floor/Carpeting Problem

jvlgato

Hi all, I'd appreciate your help on the following:

I have medium pile carpeting over an uneven floor in my listening room. My old Apogee Centaurs used to have spikes and they were always a nuisance because it was so hard to reposition. After those speakers died (RIP - I loved them!), I have since acquired a pair of used Meadowlark Shearwater Hotrods which I'm very happy with, but they didn't come with their spikes. I am noticing now that the left speaker's back left edge is tilted back a bit because of my uneven flooring under the carpeting. Now I'm missing those spikes I used to hate. I wonder how much it is ruining my imaging because I think even small changes in how a speaker is positioned make a big difference in image. By my ear, it seems imaging is good, but could be more precise and coherent, esp from what others have stated in reviews.

I've read these speakers have a 3/8" spike hole, but have not flipped them over to measure myself. Oh, and Meadowlark is long out of business.

I'm thinking my options are:

1. Find an after market spike system. Polycrystal seems to have some good reviews, but I know nothing about after market spikes.

2. Get a big marble tile and place them on top of that. But it still will be tilted back and I'd have to push the back left side up somehow. Much easier, and can probably get them pointed forward, but some argue the de-coupling of spikes makes a difference.

3. Leave it alone, maybe it doesn't make that much difference? I strongly believe positioning makes a big difference, but not certain of the whole de-coupling thing. I can just make do with the wedges of paper I've put under that back left corner for now. But it bugs me. It looks stupid, and I've gotta think it affects the sound, right?

4. Other ideas?

I'd appreciate suggestions, thanks in advance!

I'd get spikes. I used to have a pair of Infinity Monitors ('70s, same vintage as ESS AMT-1s) and could not believe the improvement some conical TipToes did for them. In my current Von Schweikerts, I have a set of Soler points which were stainless steel cones that I had him do in 3/8-24 thread for my speakers. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be around anymore (Esoler on Agon).

At any rate, you need to determine the specific threading required before you do anything.

I'd get spikes. I used to have a pair of Infinity Monitors ('70s, same vintage as ESS AMT-1s) and could not believe the improvement some conical TipToes did for them. In my current Von Schweikerts, I have a set of Soler points which were stainless steel cones that I had him do in 3/8-24 thread for my speakers. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be around anymore (Esoler on Agon).

At any rate, you need to determine the specific threading required before you do anything.

Good to know you actually heard a big difference, so it's worth the effort!

Do I just tip the speakers over and measure the size of the hole, or do I do a search on the web to find the specs somewhere? I did a brief search and someone at the Polycrystal web site mentioned specifically that he bought 3/8" adapters for his Shearwaters.

Does anyone out there know the designer Patrick McGinty or know a former dealer?

wouldnt it be cheaper/better (in case you got some other speakers in the future) to fix the floor? this is assuming you own the place...if it is a rented apt/house it may not be worth it. then again a 6" granite or a concrete platform covering the area might be yet another solution. that way you could put whatever speakers on there.

or just buy spikes.

wouldnt it be cheaper/better (in case you got some other speakers in the future) to fix the floor? this is assuming you own the place...if it is a rented apt/house it may not be worth it. then again a 6" granite or a concrete platform covering the area might be yet another solution. that way you could put whatever speakers on there.

or just buy spikes.

I own the house, my basement is my A/V sanctuary, but it's an old, old house, and the basement has been rehabbed a few times. I'm WAAAY too lazy to dig up the carpeting and get under there again.

The diameter of the hole is only part of it. Assuming that the speakers have the typical embedded threaded insert you'll also need to know the # of threads per inch which won't be easily measured.

I like the spikes idea, but when I looked into it, only found some unfamiliar brand on Amazon, and didn't know if I can just buy anything that fit or if materials and design made a difference.

Now I'm seeing that it might be even more complicated than that. I'll have to tip them over and have a look.

Spikes have made a big difference on carpet for me with both my Hales and my Castle floorstanders.

What about something that's not threaded? Link

Would something like that (not necessarily wood) with sorbothane pads on top work?

edit: If you're needing to use the threading to adjust the height of the four corners of the speakers then this won't work.

wouldnt it be cheaper/better (in case you got some other speakers in the future) to fix the floor?

Your lack of knowledge about construction is vast. Let's see, sub $100.00 spikes vs. leveling a floor? Please never ask me for an estimate on any remodeling project. I'm afraid I'll put you into cardiac arrest.

Spikes have made a big difference on carpet for me with both my Hales and my Castle floorstanders.

What about something that's not threaded? Link

Would something like that (not necessarily wood) with sorbothane pads on top work?

edit: If you're needing to use the threading to adjust the height of the four corners of the speakers then this won't work.

I need to adjust the height of the corners, thanks!

Just went thru AA to see if I could find anything and ran across a thread that I had seen some other points/spikes and had commented that they looked similar to the ones I have other than material:

https://myesound.com/Points_n_pads.html

That looks really good. I just have to figure out this sizing issue.

If it is 3/8", there are two common thread pitches that I am aware of... -16 (UNC) and -24 (UNF) I would grab a bolt of each and tip the speaker over and try it.

I'll look at the holes tonight to see what's there and measure it. Sounds like a worthwhile thing to do. Thanks!

So, do these pics help, or do they just give you a headache?

Definitely looks 3/8". Can you tell the thread pitch from a picture? Or should I still just get both common types and try both?

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/jvlgato/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTctMjAwOTEyMDctMjE1N.jpg

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/jvlgato/utf-8BSU1HMDAyMjUtMjAwOTEyMDctMjIwM.jpg

Go to Home Depot, Ace or whatever hardware store and buy a 3/8-16 and a 3/8-24 bolt for $0.05 apiece or whatever. Go home and try threading them in (gently). If I were to guess, it looks like fine pitch (-24) to me. Could be 5/16 also though.

Get both, try both, be sure before you spend $$ on spikes/feet.

Go to Home Depot, Ace or whatever hardware store and buy a 3/8-16 and a 3/8-24 bolt for $0.05 apiece or whatever. Go home and try threading them in (gently). If I were to guess, it looks like fine pitch (-24) to me. Could be 5/16 also though.

:palm: Ahh, got it, thanks for clarifying! I'm a little dense when it comes to mechanical issues.

If you want a really cheap but ghetto fix, I have used marbles taped to the bottom inserted partially into the hole. Yes, marbles. My first set of cicadas didn't have the spikes and I do believe in the whole decoupling voodoo so I figured I would use a set of marbles, couldn't tell you if it really worked or not but I was happy with myself.

If you want a really cheap but ghetto fix, I have used marbles taped to the bottom inserted partially into the hole. Yes, marbles. My first set of cicadas didn't have the spikes and I do believe in the whole decoupling voodoo so I figured I would use a set of marbles, couldn't tell you if it really worked or not but I was happy with myself.

That's a riot. Not a bad idea, while I figure this thing out! Thanks, Ryan!

The spikes that came in my old B&W's were the same spikes I used to put in the bottom of my shoes when I ran CC -- they helped me run faster, so I assume they'll make your speakers respond faster, too ...

runningspikes_links_image.jpg

Thanks, Doug. Makes sense to me!

Did you ever try running with your B+W speakers strapped to your shoes? Or maybe I can get some running shoes to put under my speakers!?

BTW, I have a marble in one spike hole but only in the back left speaker on the end which needs to be propped up due to the uneven floor. It looks way more even now. It is NOT an aggie, though, and I wonder if that might affect its sound quality ... :D I haven't had a chance to have a good listen yet. But thanks, Ryan, it's a pretty good temporary fix!

I still intend on trying out several bolts from the hardware store, then getting properly fitted spikes, just haven't had time yet. So far, my 4 yr old son hasn't noticed his missing marble yet ... :confused: