Pico Slim Pre-Order

n_maher

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the same connector as the iPod, so yes; but there are other issues (the software on the iPhone has a way of determining if the connector is iPhone compatible or not and complains, but I believe otherwise works).

The iPhone needs a resistor (I don't know the value) between two pins on the connector or it prompts you to put it in "Airplane mode" when you plug the LOD in. The LOD will still work without it but the prompt is anoying.

I had a guy over at HF make me a LOD with the resistor inside the plastic dock connector and it works great. I'll need a shorter one (or shorten the one I have) for use with the Slim though.

www.thecablepro.com has a new Earcandy 90 degree LOD for about $59 that works with iPhone (but I don't think it uses a resistor to disable the "not made for" message). I have one on the way and report on it soon. I met Ted The owner at RMAF, and my son and I dined with him, and he's a nice guy. I also like my CablePro Panorama 1/8" extension cable Ted made. I was also planning on getting one from Justin if he decides to make them later.

For the people discussing LODs, you might be interested to know that according to several people who've posted measurements, the newer iPods' headphone output measures better with no load than its line out. I'm talking about the 2G-and-later Touches and the Classic. So you're getting better measured performance from the headphone out via a simple mini-to-mini than you you are using a LOD. I'll try to find the pages to post here. I think I found them the first time through links from anythingbutipod.

Note that I didn't say that the headphone output sounds better than the lineout, only that it measures better. Personally, I'd guess that they'd be nearly indistinguishable, but if one did sound better I'd expect it to be the headphone out. I'm a big fan of DBT as the only way to substantiate claims about sound quality. Measurements don't prove anything. Anyone with an iPod and LOD want to try some double blind tests?

For the people discussing LODs, you might be interested to know that according to several people who've posted measurements, the newer iPods' headphone output measures better with no load than its line out.

Depends what is meant by 'no load'. The situation might be very different feeding different input impedances.

I guess we can find out the impedance of the lack-of-load used when I find the web pages I referred to, but the outputs were connected directly to the input of the soundcard. The iPod headphone out actually measures very well when it's not driving headphones, as you can see at the web page below:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8151/imgp7447.jpg

The lineout measures pretty well too, just not as well as the headphone out.

I'll let you know when I find those web pages comparing the two.

I guess we can find out the impedance of the lack-of-load used when I find the web pages I referred to, but the outputs were connected directly to the input of the soundcard.

Well the input impedance of PC soundcards can be as low as 1500 ohms according to one reference I found. You can't expect a line level output to drive that effectively, particularly if it has output coupling capacitors. So the headphone output will certainly give a better result into that sort of load.

But increase the input impedance up to levels of typical amps, which is 10kohms and higher, the line level will start performing much better.

CablePro Cable, Connectors, and Accessories instantly upgrade your audio video system has a new Earcandy 90 degree LOD for about $59 that works with iPhone ...

Hey Larry, the only ones I could find there were $119 and up (The Earcandy Lite right angle iPod Dock is flexible, durable, and beautifully musical.) - do you have a link for the one you mention?

Thanks,

Sameer