Pico Slim Pre-Order

n_maher

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Dinny, you wrote this on the other site:

I spent a couple of days with the Slim. Great little amp. I used it with my JH13s. Lots of detail and lots of punch. Good bass, no bloat. If I could dial up the bass just a tiny bit, I would. But it's really a refined amp.

Are you saying that other amps provide you with a more satisfying level of bass or that the Slim still can't provide the little touch of bass that you're missing from the JH13? Your comment made me curious and I preferred to ask you here, this kind of stuff can cause a train wreck over there.

In a similar let-me-ask-here-instead-of-over-there vein, would I be right in assuming the Pico Slim has a sound closer to the sound of a Pico than to something like, say, a Mini3?

I haven't had a chance to hear a Pico Slim - and I really have no idea when or if I will - but I've found that from a pure amp perspective I lean more towards the Mini3 sound than the Pico sound (though as a DAC/amp I still think the Pico is a fantastic package). From a form factor and volume control perspective the Slim is super tempting, but there's no point in kidding myself if the sound signature isn't the kind I really go for.

Dinny, you wrote this on the other site:

Are you saying that other amps provide you with a more satisfying level of bass or that the Slim still can't provide the little touch of bass that you're missing from the JH13? Your comment made me curious and I preferred to ask you here, this kind of stuff can cause a train wreck over there.

I guess all along I have expressed a desire that the JH13 had a touch more bass. The TTVJ Portable fixed that for me. But it is a somewhat softer presentation, so while the detail is there, it's a bit more lush. The Slim, on the other hand, seems to have more of the HeadAmp sound. Very clean, very detailed (not bright), and lots of slam in the bass. But where the TTVJ is more "rounded" in its presentation, I found the Slim more "angular"--sorry I'm feeling inarticulate. Bottom line: for those who thing the JH13 have plenty of bass, then I think the Slim is going to make them very very happy. Mid-fi types like myself may want to find something that gooses that midbass a bit.

Also, this is all based on a very short time with the Slim, so I look forward to receiving my production version for further listening. Again, I can't believe how much I love the volume control. It is simply outstanding and, IMO, represents a real step forward in ampdom.

I guess all along I have expressed a desire that the JH13 had a touch more bass. The TTVJ Portable fixed that for me. But it is a somewhat softer presentation, so while the detail is there, it's a bit more lush. The Slim, on the other hand, seems to have more of the HeadAmp sound. Very clean, very detailed (not bright), and lots of slam in the bass. But where the TTVJ is more "rounded" in its presentation, I found the Slim more "angular"--sorry I'm feeling inarticulate. Bottom line: for those who thing the JH13 have plenty of bass, then I think the Slim is going to make them very very happy. Mid-fi types like myself may want to find something that gooses that midbass a bit.

Also, this is all based on a very short time with the Slim, so I look forward to receiving my production version for further listening. Again, I can't believe how much I love the volume control. It is simply outstanding and, IMO, represents a real step forward in ampdom.

i don't think there is any going back to other volume controls with IEMs :)