Brancing out .... how about some headphone recommendations?

Guest sacd lover

Guest sacd lover

I have been thinking about trying some new headphones out. I tend to like the senns, particularly the hd600. I have Reks modded grado sr-80's and I am very happy with that sound, especially the non-sibilant treble. I also very much like the senn 595/ 120 ohm for its grado like speed and dynamics. The one I am wondering about is the MS2i but I have never liked the sr-325 this headphone is based on. But in a short listen I definitely liked the MS2. I really like the grado sound from the mids down. But the treble can often be to harsh and sometimes sibilant as well. I am open to suggestions for headphones, in general .... and also, modding suggestions for the current grado lineup. I probably would not go above the sr-225 with mods. I wish I could find another ultra high bandwidth cable and I would get the sr-225's and be done.

With an aftermarket cable (I tried the the Cardas, Oehlbach and briefly the Zu cable) I found the HD600s to be a very entertaining listen with all types of music and they don't require a mega-dollar system to sound good. Given your love of tubes I would think that they would be a nice alternative to the Grado sound without going fully into the Senn realm. The 650s are certainly more full bodied and seem to scale more with the equipment that drives them.

Personally I never really like the SR225s very much. I had them for 6 months or so and tried them with mostly solid state and some hybrid gear and never found a combo that really did much for me. I'd love to woody a pair now and see if that tames/warms them up a bit but given how happy I am with the HF-1s I can't see a reason to do that at this point.

Guest sacd lover

Earl, you could always sell off a few amps and buy a pair of L3000 ;D

I knew that one was coming. Not a bad idea but I just cant see $2k+ for a headphone. I asked about the M2Si .... anybody heard that one? The dt880 is just to trebly for me. The AKG 340 is interesting, but I hate to spend that much on a discontinued headphone that potentially could go bad at any point and be unable to be repaired.

Guest sacd lover

I didn't think they sounded that similar when I hear them. The L3000 has a lot more bass.

How bout getting a K1000?

I have an amp that will drive them so I have been thinking about the K1000 for sometime. All I would have to do now is find one thats reasonably priced. :laugh:

I knew that one was coming. Not a bad idea but I just cant see $2k+ for a headphonep

But that much for an amp is fine? I fail to see the logic there. ???

Why not get a used rs-1? It seems to be the favorite grado and you can usually sell it for around what you payed. I doubt it'll have the 325 highs you dislike, as far as I can tell the general concensus is that it's the only grado in the line like that.

I am open to suggestions for headphones, in general .... and also, modding suggestions for the current grado lineup. I probably would not go above the sr-225 with mods. I wish I could find another ultra high bandwidth cable and I would get the sr-225's and be done.

Actually I don't think you'd even need an UHB cable, I find that stock Grado cables are a lot worse than popularly accepted and even something like Cat-5e or Cat-6 network cable is a big improvement. I briefly had Cat-6 cable on my 225 and it was a big improvement in treble smoothness, yes it's still a bit on the bright side but it's no longer sibilant. But since I needed that cable for my K340 I ended up putting Biggie's old PS-1 cable on my 225. It's somewhere in between, but closer to the stock 225 cable. Cat-6, some heat-shrink tubing, teflon tape, and techflex (or shoelaces for the cheap) and you're good to go. Might as well do them balanced while you're at it.

Another possibility is to get a used RS-1, they're best with tubes IMO and since you already have a bunch of those you should be good to go.