Stax SRM-T1 earth terminal

mrmarbach

Yes they are my first, and they sound wonderful. I am very happy. I am not sure I need better right now. Just more - one for each room. :)

Thanks for pointing out my profile. It's a long story. I ordered the 404LE and paid up front, before they were available. Then I read some negative predictions about them and decided to upgrade to Omega. Told EIFL to get me a pair (must have been when I wrote my profile). Then when the crunch came decided the outlay was too much (having just also bought a Meridian DSP system rather by accident...) and went back to the 404LE.

The T1 was an impulse on Ebay. And a good one - it had just been serviced and is in perfect condition internally (though a few dings on the outside).

Nic

The Omega 2 is too dark and smooth when underdriven to sound close to real life, and apparently only the likes of the WES and BHSE can really wake them up. I have not heard the 404LE but I do like most of the Lambdas I've heard so I think you made a good choice. Do you think piano recordings sound very close to real life with your Stax setup?

The violin/piano I've listened to (Kremer/Bashkirova Schubert) sounded great but is limited by the original (analogue recording). The orchestral I've listened to (Rattle Mahler) sounded stunning. The total lack of congestion in the texture was truly breathtaking, and the bass very extended and natural. It was just a brief listen to check the amp worked. I have to decide now where it's going (with the main speaker setup or a separate office set-up).

Nic

I may still get Omegas at some point. I certainly like a lot that I've heard about them. But I think I should hear them for myself first (which may not be so easy, particularly as I would never buy them from a German dealer, and would therefore feel bad about auditioning them in one).

And I know it means getting a new amp in due course...

Actually, I have to correct myself. I have a pair of Stax SR34-PRO (SR30PRO + SRD4). They were very cheap, and have a family resemblance, but of course are not in any way comparable. I guess they should go to ebay.