Music Matters Blue Note 45rpm Subscription

shaizada

Hey guys,

I was wondering about this subscription as I've never done anything like this before.

How does it work exactly? They send you 2 titles a month for how many titles?

For people who have this subscription, how are you liking the sound quality of the records?

I know Analogue Productions does a run of 25 titles with 2 titles a month, but I'm not sure how the Music Matters subscription works out.

I think MM can easily fulfill my jazz fetish ;) Do you guys think its worth doing?

Thanks Jacob. I'm sure people will chime in :)

There are a total of 64 titles. I'm guessing they will send out 2 per month as the titles are released. However, joining in the subscription this late with many titles already released, I'm not sure how they send the older released titles. I sent a few questions to them and hopefully will hear back by monday or so.

If they can set up a special schedule with me for the older titles that are released but not OOP, I think I know what I would want for Christmas! My folks have been trying to figure out what they can give me and what is better than the gift of music that keeps on giving.

Let's see if this can pan out well for me...it is quite an investment, but it is long term...

Yes, a few of us have this subscription and it is the best of the options in my book. Their covers and artwork are by far superior to the Analogue Productions and I their customer service has been great. I don't know how they do the subscription at this point -- reach back to the remaining in print selections or just start you from here to the end or what. I know they are planning to extend the first 64 [63?] titles, but here are the OOP titles so far. They ship out 2 titles approximately once a month but it stretches out a bit at times. They bill for those 2 titles upon shipping. Great gift idea.

I hope I'm not mixing up my subscriptions, and I know that AP has been the worst, as far as deadlines go, but I would think of 2 a month as a loose ballpark figure at best.

I've actually had Elusive Disc hold the remainder of my subscription for the time being, and I can pay for all of them when it is finished, or decline the remainder.

I like to keep my credit card payed off and I got tired of always checking to see if there were charges made to it. I thought I would have to cancel outright, and was surprised they were willing to do this to be honest. Elusive Disc is definitely very accommodating and I recommend them.

Also I've only heard needle drops of a few of the releases (I have no vinyl rig; I've commissioned a friend to transfer them to digital, back before the XRCDs were announced) but what Ive heard is excellent.

Fantastic. Maybe I should confirm this as the ultimate Christmas present an music lover can receive....will talk to the folks and see if it would be something they would like to do instead.

The OOP titles have already increased in price if found at elusive disc and the like. I wish I would have thought if this earlier! Oh well.....

Hey guys,

I was wondering about this subscription as I've never done anything like this before.

How does it work exactly? They send you 2 titles a month for how many titles?

For people who have this subscription, how are you liking the sound quality of the records?

I know Analogue Productions does a run of 25 titles with 2 titles a month, but I'm not sure how the Music Matters subscription works out.

I think MM can easily fulfill my jazz fetish ;) Do you guys think its worth doing?

Of the out of print ones my favorites are Johnny C, Tina Brooks and Horace Parlan. Cape Verdean is probably my least favorite of them, but it has one track that just smokes (Nutville).

I've picked up nearly all of the ones that are out of print (missing one), and up to about April 2009. I am thinking about adding a subscription starting in January.

The three above came in. Holy crap....the sound is out of the ball park.

Just picked these up and they are on the way as well:

Out to Lunch - Eric Dolphy

Little Johnny - Johnny Coles

True Blue - Tina Brooks

Undercurrent - Kenny Drew

The Cape Verdean Blues - Horace Silver

Now I just need 4 more and I will have the Out of Print ones covered:

Horace Parlan - Us Three

Hank Mobley - Soul Station

Horace Parlan - Speakin' My Piece

Art Blakey - Big Beat

I'll probably start the subscription sometime next month after the Christmas dust (snow?) has settled.

• 2 years later...

Sadly it looks like this series will be coming to an end. Hands down the best few grand I've ever spent. Eclipses any audio gear by a mile.

The last of the titles to be released:

Music Matters Jazz Extended Release Schedule (2012-2013)

Dear Subscribers,

If you can't get enough of a great thing then we've got terrific news. As we proudly prepared to wrap up the Music Matters Blue Note reissue series we made one last trip to EMI's tape vault. After 88 outstanding releases, and with a serious note of gratitude for our immense good fortune to have worked with these tapes, we were awed to fine more great "must do" titles, historically important sessions from top-tier artists that have never been properly reissued. So we approached EMI to extend our series and they graciously agreed.

This summer we'll be working hard to make sure that these gems live up to Music Matters' highest production standards, and then we'll begin releasing these remarkable additional titles on September 3rd.

(1.) MMBST-84170******* Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers - Free For All*

(2.) MMBST-84147********Herbie Hancock - Inventions And Dimensions*

(3.) MMBST-84166****** *Joe Henderson - In 'N Out*

(4.) MMBST-84008****** *Horace Silver - Finger Poppin'*

(5.) MMBST-84187******* Larry Young - Into Somethin!

(6.) MMBST-84205****** *Pete LaRoca - Basra

(7.) MMBST-84279********Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child

(8.) MMBST-84092********Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland - The Golden Eight

(9.) MMBLP-1518********* Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers

(10.) MMBST-84159*****Andrew Hill - Judgment!

(11.) MMBST-84401**** Hank Mobley Quintet - The Feelin's Good

(12.) MMGXF-3058****** Grant Green - Gooden's Corner

(13.) MMBST-84109**** Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off

We've got original master tapes, incredible studio and session photography, and the titles above certainly speak for themselves, an amazing Baker's Dozen that will bring our Blue Note series to 101 titles in all. We've put up information and title notes for the first six here.

If you want these records we'll continue to ship two records each release, though these remaining titles will be stretched to two albums every six weeks - but I promise, they'll be worth the wait. If, for any reason, you don't wish to receive these titles as part of your subscription, then just contact us to opt out and your subscription will end in June with title #88, Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil.

Our sincere thanks to you, our loyal subscribers, for helping to make this series the great success it has been. We could not have done it without you, and we hope you'll stay on board for another year of incredible music.

And with that in mind, we're pleased to share the latest review from "All About Jazz" for our April release of Herbie Hancock's Empyrean Isles. That says it all!

The Music Matters Team