John Coltrane Crescent, ORG 45rpm problem

shaizada

On the current 45rpm reissue of Coltrane Crescent (ORG Release), the second disc doesn't sit well with my VPI Periphery ring and I'm kinda lost on this. Basically the ring doesn't clamp the disc circumference properly. It flattens down one side, but the disc is short on the opposite end. So the disc ring just sits a little loft sided.

Knowing the high quality of the ORG releases, I thought this is just a one disc fault or something. So I sent it back to elusive disc who send me a new replacement copy. SAME PROBLEM! Now I'm a little concerned. All the ORG releases in my collection are pretty much pristine...so I'm a bit bummed.

Add to that about a 40 second ticking on the first track on side 4 and I'm a little "ticked". Looks like I'm gonna have to send it back for a 3rd replacement and ask them to test the record before sending it my way. I don't want any ticks and I want the ring to sit properly (which they can test being VPI dealers and all).

Just venting out...

Audiophile quality records...sheesh! For $60 a pop, they should really get it perfect...they did in the 60s and 70s with the records.

Is the record warped? Or some other anomaly (ie off centered pressing)?

Sort of related, but how much of the lead in groove does the periphery ring clamp cover up? I have some records with really narrow lead in grooves (usually vintage Mofi vinyl).

Edited by deepak

The record is perfectly flat and the pressing doesn't seem to be off centered otherwise my stylus would be moving back and forth while playing. Don't know what the hec is up with this particular record.

With most records, I get a little more than 1/8 of an inch easily, so I never really have any problems cueing up. I know what you mean about the vintage Mofi records....but I just cue up carefully even though they seem to give somewhat less groove lead in space.

These Coltrane ORGs are definitely pressed at Pallas...

Wonder whats up with the perfect german pressing plant. They usually are literally PERFECT. I'm going to give Jason or Sam a call tomorrow at Elusivedisc and see to a replacement copy...again!

On a lighter note, I spun Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson and melted away in my chair. 33 1/3 rpm, 180g pressing and nary a tick or a pop. Just perfect blissful music by two masters. A testament that things can be perfect sometimes...

These Coltrane ORGs are definitely pressed at Pallas...

Wonder whats up with the perfect german pressing plant. They usually are literally PERFECT. I'm going to give Jason or Sam a call tomorrow at Elusivedisc and see to a replacement copy...again!

On a lighter note, I spun Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson and melted away in my chair. 33 1/3 rpm, 180g pressing and nary a tick or a pop. Just perfect blissful music by two masters. A testament that things can be perfect sometimes...

They've been getting hit hard with so many orders and projects. I can imagine that combined with the Christmas rush for all these new products is causing the problems.

I was looking forward to picking up the ORG releases, Bernie does some great mastering. And they've certainly contracted some choice titles.

Deepak, you MUST pick up the ORG Impulse releases. So far, they have been nothing but mind blowing and easily worth their salt in ANY jazz collection. Since they are only pressing 1000 of these, it would be worth to get them now before they run out. They always press extra discs to compensate for any returns/damages/exchanges etc. So you can definitely risk it. Never thought I would say that for a Pallas pressing.