24 hour Subway!

Wmcmanus

Right here, in Grand Cayman, and less than 2 miles from my house...

Ok, so I know it seems silly, but I've been living here for 13+ years and until now, there hasn't been a 24-hour anything. It took years before we finally had wholesale grocery stores, and the ones we have now are not exactly discount houses. Nearly everything in the retail world closes at 5pm, restaurants close by 9 or 10, and nothing (I mean nothing at all) is open on Sunday except about 150 churches and a couple of gas stations.

As an old fart bachelor who doesn't cook (at all) and the kind of dude who stays up all night at least once per week for no particular reason, all I can say is that it's about friggin' time! I can now buy a sandwich between the hours of 10pm and 6am! For years I've been making a 10 mile drive (each way) to the nearest gas station for a gas station sandwich, a gas station hot dog, or a gas station slice of pizza. The pizza isn't bad, actually...

Ah, but no more! Now I can have a friggin' sandwich whenever the frig I want to in the middle of the friggin' night (without having to pick all of the veggies off of a leftover sandwich and without having to then nuke it and choke it down).

I might just have a couple of cookies tonight too.

Congrats Wayne!

Thanks, man. I forgot to mention that I met the rather cute and chubby young lady of a new manager from Canada who made it all possible, and chatted with her (oddly enough, considering her size, and worse yet - mine) about exercise gear and gyms and such tonight. I told her about all of the great equipment I have at my place, which (sadly) isn't getting much use these days. I'm sure I'll get to know her better since she has appointed herself to the night shift. So here's hoping that we'll one day get sweaty together when she needs a good workout.

Sounds just like my home town, Canberra, with everything shutting at 5pm and the city dead on Sundays. I think it has mostly changed though and shops open until the evening and on Sundays now, but it was the most utterly boring city to grow up in. Even 24 hour supermarkets didn't change that.

The beach helps a lot here. When I'm restless in the middle of the night, I just go for a stroll or a swim. There is no surf as such here since the Island is reef protected in 90% of the areas you might want to wander to, so it's like one big swimming pool with the water gently lapping in most of the time. But hungry is hungry and at 3am that doesn't help much. I guess my point is that it's not as boring as a lot of the other places I've lived at.

It's now time to jump on my Vespa and head to Subway for a 1am sandwich! No way, man, this is way too cool to be finally true!

any baguettes?

Nope, nothing so fancy. Had a Subway pizza last night. Not as good as the Esso gas station pizza, but a lot closer for me.

This place has actually been there for several years, but the new manager chick has finally opened their eyes about the 24 hour business. I chatted with her for over an hour and was the only customer the whole time. Everyone else here is asleep by midnight.

I am a sucker for fresh, warm donuts and although you disagree with me, I liked those better than the KKs. And screw you breakfast place, indeed!

You obviously don't live less than 5 minutes from a Krispy Kreme. Come to MexiCanJam and I'll get you a dozen fresh, see if you change your mind.

Mmmmm... Krispy Kreme. I may have to get up for work early in the morning...

**BRENT**