New, Cheap Dynalo...

Raez

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a modified version of KG's amp. Someone changed the output stage of the amp on HeadWize several years ago, said it was better, and since then it's appeared on every DIY version.

The Gilmore Lite is about to be sold out anyway. on today's Head-Fi? They're about 6 years too late.

Gah! Will you be making a replacement?

Yeah, Justin has said a few times that he wants to keep offering a range of amps, not just portables, but that he will have to find a way to produce the desktop models more efficiently given how much of his time is now being sunk into the Pico end of the range. I just don't think he's figured out exactly how he's going to do that yet.

Thats good to know; I hope he continues to push the envelope as his work is excellent. The 'six year too late' comment got me thinking that if the glite is short for the world the other two would be as well since they're deriviatives. The demand for them is still there, a tribute to his workmanship.

Thats good to know; I hope he continues to push the envelope as his work is excellent. The 'six year too late' comment got me thinking that if the glite is short for the world the other two would be as well since they're deriviatives. The demand for them is still there, a tribute to his workmanship.

The GS-1 and GS-X will continue solely because I still have plenty of parts that I've invested in. If I were about to sell out of them like with the Gilmore Lite, then they'd likely be discontinued until I thought spending the time bringing them back or redesigning them was more worth it than working on a portable amp or DAC. Right now I'm working on getting all of the GS-1 and GS-X boards I have professionally soldered and the supply of them is somewhere between a few months and a couple years, depending on what demand is when they go "In Stock".

Edited by justin

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'd like to put in a few words regarding the HA-006+

The original Gilmore DynaLo design uses dual FET that is next to impossible to acquire in large quantity at reasonable price. (I used to be able to get a pair for around 8 USD, now I found someone selling them for $28 a piece) That was replaced with hand matched single FET. That is all the change regarding transistor selection.

During the Christmas/New Year, we were working on lowering the overall noise floor of the HA-006+, while it is very quiet with high impedance load, it starts humming softly with 32ohm or lower load (eg: Grados, some Sonys). We were probing and prodding the unit for quite a while before replacing the transformer with an ultra low noise Toroidal transformer. Which lower the overall noise massively, and does not really show any sort of noise at all, even with Grados and other sensitive headphones.

All those who have purchased HA-006+ from me is entitled to a free upgrade that includes round-trip shipping. :) All those who ordered during the Christmas season had their order put on hold until the upgrade is ready (which was then shipped on Jan 5th).

If you guys have any question regarding the unit, please feel free to ask.

Linear Integrated Systems - Press Release

http://www.linearsystems.com/datasheets/LSK389.pdf

If you'd like me to try one, I could send one out your way.

Hello luvdunhill, thank you for the offer. I had saw that dual JFET a few years ago when I started building my Beta 22, but LinearSystems never seem to make the 2SJ side of the Dual FET, if they do make the other side, we will definitely consider using it. Possibly using the SMD version for small/entry level version and the metal canned one for higher end version. However, that's only gonna happen if they decide to make the 2SJ side of the transistor.

For the moment, it is hand matched to very very low DC bias at the output (normally below 5mV without DC servo, rarely above 10mV).

Thanks

David

Yeah, real shame that Linear Systems never seemed to get the P-channel equivalent up. IIRC, they had been predicting Q4 2008, which obviously didnt happen. Dont know if they are having fab/yield issues, or just decided it wasnt worth the money to pursue.