Obesity - Is it a huge health problem? Maybe not...

philodox

There's conflicting research on this, in recent years some studies have shown that a bit more fat in middle to old age can be good thing, but the jury's still out.

What they're also doing is using the exceptions to prove the rule, and confusing cause & effect, or rather, ignoring & deliberately confusing the issues. Of course that's about par for the course for what is basically a fat-ass sympathizer site.

In any case, if you're overweight but otherwise healthy you're probably fine, if you're overweight and suffering from health problems it's probably a good idea to drop a few pounds. If you're a 500 pound lardass who's confined to a bed, then losing a few hundred pounds will save your life.

Although things like cancer and heart disease can strike someone of good health (with bad family histry, such as me) one cannot deny that you are LESS likely to get heartdiseas if you take care of yourself.
True enough. The point is that many 'skinny' people don't take care of themselves [i know I don't] and many 'fat' people are actually in better physical condition. Obviously some people do fit the stereotype of 'fat unhealthy' or 'skinny in shape', but not all. Actually, thinking about all the 'skinny' people I know, hardly any of them are in good shape or eat healthy.
Of course that's about par for the course for what is basically a fat-ass sympathizer site.
And this is better than being a 'health site' sponsored by a drug company? ::)
If you're a 500 pound lardass who's confined to a bed, then losing a few hundred pounds will save your life.
Well, yeah... that is pretty obvious.

I thought that some of you may find this interesting. I myself had always tied diabetes and heart problems with obesity, but it seems that this may be another myth perpetuated by the comercial sector.

http://www.bigfatfacts.com/

Diabetes has been linked to obesity in multiple studies, but as always, the data has been interpreted to serve various interests. Obesity itself has no relevance in diabetes - that is to say that being overweight in itself is not a trigger. Getting overweight through a high sugar, carbohydrate and alcohol diet is a relevant trigger for late onset diabetes. The intake of such a diet of course does not guarantee that one will become overweight or obese, however in more cases than not the two are obviously linked. This is especially relevant in immigrant Indian/Bangladeshi groups - they have an incidence of late onset Diabetes which is far greater than any other group (in the UK) due to the change in diet, including a vast increase in the intake of sugar and alcohol which was not part of their native diet.

Of course, there are a plethora of other psychophysical conditions that stem from obesity itself, rather than the diet that gets you there, particularly with relation to serious damage to the back, hip and knees (fortunately we can make new hips and knees, but we haven't got that far on the replacement back yet...). The level of bone breakages incurred after falls is statistically greater for those who are obese versus those who are not - with the simple reasoning that as one's weight increases, bone strength and mass does not increase accordingly therefore forcing the extra load to be carred by the same structure.

I suppose reading those BMJ's (British Medical Journal) that were always lying around (doctor parents) comes in handy sometimes ;).