PS 1000 break in

randerson3024

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My new PS 1000's just arrived. They sound promising, but seem to need some serious break in time. Anyone out there been through this? If so, how long did it take?

Reports at Head-Fi suggest around 200 hours or so, but I never know what to make of such things. Seems like that's sort of the magic number (more or less) most commonly suggested for pretty much any headphones. Best advice is to just let 'em burn in at slightly above normal listening levels and check in on them frequently. I've been thinking about picking up a pair myself, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Thinking about some Canon L glass as well, which would probably get more use.

IIRC there were reports of the GS1000 drivers breaking when people burned in their headphones with slightly louder than listening volume. Actually I think there were reports of the GS1000 breaking just by people looking at them and their existing. I don't know how much this extends to the PS1000 but the PS1000 is just a GS1000 with metal cups so probably quite a bit.

To be honest I wouldn't trust Grado QC enough to even really give credit to these graphs as the average to what is expected. I guess they might have tweaked the drivers on top of changing the cups to aluminum. I still remember when the GS1000 was still a prototype and everyone shat themselves saying how good it was and then the production models became a huge flop and people suspected the prototype and production models were different. But then again people shat themselves saying how good the HD800 was before it was released and now the idea of it being picky with amplification or generally a bit bright or with slightly sucked out mids, lifeless, sterile, K701 on steroids, etc. seems to be more prevalent.

Grado QC is pretty worrying in the cosmetics area but when it comes to sound they do a pretty good job. At one point I had 5 pairs of vintage RS-1s and as far as I could tell they all sounded the same, I couldn't say the same thing about their looks though except for the damn kink & pinch at the cable Y which was identical on each one.

I've actually noted a larger variation in the sound of Senn 650s than I have in any Grado, or for that matter any other headphone except the AKG K340.

According to the PS1000 fan club then there is a large level of hit and miss when it comes to the sound so you really have to buy more then one set to get a good one. :palm:

Oh for fuck's sake, I think I'm done with Grado. Mine sound way different than the ones I heard in Singapore, and I have let them play several hours. It serves me right for sending my electrostats home after the flooding. I already have some 404's, HE 60's, and 4070's out here again. I had to buy a cheap SRM 006 to drive them that hasn't arrived. I will probably get Justin's BHSE out here just in time for another flood......... The only conventional headphones I have that are worth a shit are the HD 800's with an uber-expensive Stefan Audio Art cable (really worth it).

• 5 months later...

My first set of phones over $200 was the GS-1000s and they sounded like shite until 200 hours, better at 300 and at around 400+ hours they became very nice. I can see how someone might not like the frequency balance, but it's definitely a quality presentation.

How many of the negative GS 1000 comments were on phones with 300-400 hours?

What's the PS sound as compared to the GS?

Is it possible it just took that long to brainwash yourself into liking them?

I'm a professional mastering engineer, so 'brainwashing' myself into hearing things is not something I can allow myself to do very often. My take on them is they're resolute and offer good depth and details for the rare moments I want a headphone to check distortion, they are nothing more or less.

Anyone else have something to offer the new guy that's not an asshole's quip?