Koss fraud. Wow, not good.

Hopstretch

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We lock people up for that long for relatively minor stuff.

This is true, but it is only part of the problem. More important than the length of the sentences is that we prosecute and lock people up at all for minor stuff. And, more important than that is that while incarceration is costly, the process of getting someone from arrest to prison via plea bargains is hyper efficient and cheap. Require a trial for the 95% of convictions obtained through plea bargains and the prison population would drop dramatically.

true, but i'm a sissy, and i've seen my fair share of X deaths...from only popping one.

Nothing wrong with being safe rather than sorry. That said, if I ever go to a rave, I intend on getting the full experience.

Now that I have successfully derailed the thread.. I like how there's at least six dubstep remixes of Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap (who I'm a fan of). I dig this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Lk4N-EEdY

Journal of Psychopharmacology 2009; 23; 3

This study sought to test the association between ecstasy-use and abnormal sleep. An anonymous web-based questionnaire containing questions on drug use and sleep was completed by 1035 individuals. From this large sample, a group of 89 ecstasy users were found who reported very little use of other drugs. This ”ecstasy-only“ group was further divided into two groups of 31 current users and 58 abstinent users. The subjective sleep of current and former ecstasy-only users was compared with that of matched controls. Patients were asked to rate their sleep according to: 1) sleep quality, 2) sleep latency, 3) night time awakenings and 4) total sleep time. Current ecstasy-only users reported significantly worse sleep quality (P < 0.05) and a greater total sleep time (P < 0.001) than controls. It was inferred that these differences might be due to recovery from the acute effects of the drug. Abstinent ecstasy-only users reported significantly more nighttime awakenings than controls (P < 0.01). These subjective findings are in agreement with the objective findings of previous studies showing persistent sleep abnormalities in ecstasy users.

It looks like a prospective cohort study following their sleep patterns, not sure how it is related to safety?

here is a good one. really, illegal drugs aren't particularly deadly in general compared to tylenol or alcohol, even when statistics are normalized. LSD is about as safe as golden grahams and MDMA isn't any more likely to kill you than anything else you put in your body on any given day. watch out for chicken bones.

I don't see any data. I only see them describing the categories and tables in pages 17-26.

that was supposed to be a link to the entire study. i can't be bothered to go find the whole thing because i don't care anymore. my informatics performance has been decreased by my recent drug use. i'm sure you can find the shit easier than i can. i think i've given a reasonable backing to the idea that MDMA is pretty safe with the other shit, especially from post #246.

From home my access to journals is only as good as anyone else here.

TheDEA.org: Ecstasy Statistics

Going back to the above site- the only two non-narcotic classes that top ecstasy are NSAIDs and anti-depressants (even more interesting the two isolated are SSRIs and not MAOs). Just IMO 5500 ER visits is significant. 110000 visits to the ER from cannabis, this is seriously bizarre.

because, really, they are, from a deaths caused perspective. they aren't really all that different from the opiods i've been popping all week, and i'm not dead. the problem with many drugs isn't that they kill you outright, it's the social issues they can cause. a problem with most of the rest is simply that they are illegal.

For ecstasy to be almost the same mortality wise as coccaine/crack doesn't inspire much confidence. Granted I have not seen any ecstasy ER visits, I have seen plenty for coke. The shit that will do to you when someone ODs is not pretty.

edit: anyway Jacob I didn't instigate this for the sake of being argumentative. I know you're a fairly rooted objectivist (as am I when it comes to medical issues) so I was interested in seeing the data, and I will try to find the full article of the one that took statistics from individual states for my own curiosity.

Edited by deepak

then it likely wasn't x, because x is pretty safe (in fact, it's about as risky as horse back riding). a lot of things, such as strong amphetamines, get sold as ecstasy.

sure, but that's the problem, you don't know what it cut with. until the FDA regulates it, it can be anything.

i've worked in a Medical ICU and ER for 10 years, i'll be the last one to argue with you about the damage of alcohol. i also see suicide attempts daily, with OTC and prescribed. these drugs will be more deadly if taken in large doses for the purpose of inducing multi-system organ failure. MDMA is not the drug of choice for a suicide attempt. also, who's to say that MDMA in combo with other drugs wasn't the precipitating drug.

This is true, but it is only part of the problem. More important than the length of the sentences is that we prosecute and lock people up at all for minor stuff. And, more important than that is that while incarceration is costly, the process of getting someone from arrest to prison via plea bargains is hyper efficient and cheap. Require a trial for the 95% of convictions obtained through plea bargains and the prison population would drop dramatically.

That's WAY too effin' intelligent. You must be some kind of anarchist or something.

• 2 weeks later...