Best Sennheiser?

Wmcmanus

In your opinion, what is the best headphone Sennheiser has ever produced?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, what is the best headphone Sennheiser has ever produced?

• HE90
    • HE60
    • HD800
    • HD650
    • HD600
    • I'd better not vote or Vicki will get pissed because I haven't heard both the HE90 and HD800

Inspired by this thread: The Best Senn Below the HD800 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio and what started out as an intentionally silly response on my part: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6266249-post84.html, I'm now putting my theory to the test!

As I mentioned in that post, I'd pick the HE90 over the HD800 if I could only keep one pair of Senns, but both are world class headphones IMO.

I'd place the HE60 third, I think, but I haven't had enough time with them to know exactly how they might compare. Yet, they're probably close enough to the HE90 that they might edge out the HD800 as well, for the same sorts of reasons I suggested in the linked post above.

I prefer the HD650 over the HD600 almost always, and especially when I've heard balanced HD650's at meets (really impressive with the SDS-XLR, for instance).

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say I truly enjoy the HE90 even if it will put me in harms way of the Stax Mafia :)

What I'm most interested in is how people think the HD800 stacks up against the likes of the HE90/HE60 (depending on what you have the most experience with). This is why I started the poll here. I figured the results would get less noise pollution than at HF where many people would vote for either the HE90 or HD800 without having heard both (based on whatever it is that makes them do such things).

I haven't heard the Senn electrostatics yet so I can't comment on them.

Of the rest I'd pick the 650 by a small margin over the 600, and the 800 is way off the back in last place. I found there was a fair bit of sample variation with the 650, maybe it was pad condition, maybe one was a Monday morning special from the factory or something, but the ones which were around "average" had a bit more goodness to them than the 600. It takes all the good parts of a 600 and improves on them a tad without taking any steps backwards. It's not the most involving or fun headphone around, but if I plug them into any vinyl rig they can get down and boogie.

The 800 is technically great, wads of detail, measure great, yada yada yada, but artistically and emotionally, it fails and fails hard. It disconnects me from the emotional aspects of the music I'm listening to, my music doesn't move me anymore and I don't feel anything other than boredom. Not my kind of headphone, at all.

I haven't heard the HE90.

I prefer the HE60 to the HD800 and the HD650 to the HD600.

I think you should vote then. What I'm interested in is whether there are many folks out there who have heard the HD800 and either the HE90 or HE60 and prefer the HD800.

What I'd prefer to avoid is a vote for the HD800 from someone who hasn't heard either of the stats, and is just speculating that the HD800 must be better (because its so filled with goodness that it can't possibly be bested).

This way, your vote can be interpreted as a nod for the HE90/HE60 team. It still represents a win over the HD800-led team of dynamics. In any case, my guess is that you would also prefer the HE90 over the HD800 for much the same reasons as you prefer the HE60.

The 800 is technically great, wads of detail, measure great, yada yada yada, but artistically and emotionally, it fails and fails hard. It disconnects me from the emotional aspects of the music I'm listening to, my music doesn't move me anymore and I don't feel anything other than boredom. Not my kind of headphone, at all.

Wow! Thanks for that, and thankfully not a reaction I've ever had with them. Thanks also, for the Vicki vote, given what I'm really trying to poll here.

HE60 > HD800 > HE90; I've heard them all but only own the HE60. I think the HD650 and HD600 are different enough from the others to not be part of the rating. I prefer the HD650 to the HD600, but only by a little. Owned them both, only own the HD650 now.

Edited by morphsci

HE60 > HD800 > HE90; I've heard them all but only own the HE60.

Most amazing! Well, not really, but based on your own ears you've managed to buck the system that would have guided you differently. Makes me want to spend more time (beyond the quick meet opportunities) with the HE60.

Do you have other stats as well?

I think you should vote then. What I'm interested in is whether there are many folks out there who have heard the HD800 and either the HE90 or HE60 and prefer the HD800.

What I'd prefer to avoid is a vote for the HD800 from someone who hasn't heard either of the stats, and is just speculating that the HD800 must be better (because its so filled with goodness that it can't possibly be bested).

This way, your vote can be interpreted as a nod for the HE90/HE60 team. It still represents a win over the HD800-led team of dynamics. In any case, my guess is that you would also prefer the HE90 over the HD800 for much the same reasons as you prefer the HE60.

I already voted for the safety option. I like the HE60 a lot though. Up with the JH13 and O2. And I couldn't find a way to like the HD800 like I wanted to. aerius put it well.

Yep. An Omega and an Omega II Mk. I. Overall, the Omega is my favorite Stat, though I always worry about its construction. Technically, the Omega II is better but I just like the sound of the Omega better for most of the music I listen to.

Afraid it's going to get damaged and you'll have an expensive items on your hands that you can't find replacements parts for and nobody can repair?

HE90 > HE-60 = HD-800 > HD650 > HD600 for me. I'm not exactly sure which should place second, but the HE60 was amazing when I owned it. Wish I can spend more time with the HD-800 to make the determination. To my ears, nothing move me likes the HE90. It is colored no doubt but it is very musical headphones. I agreed with Wayne on the HD600 vs. HD650 as well.

HE90 > HE-60 = HD-800 > HD650 > HD600 for me. I'm not exactly sure which should place second, but the HE60 was amazing when I owned it. Wish I can spend more time with the HD-800 to make the determination. To my ears, nothing move me likes the HE90. It is colored no doubt but it is very musical headphones. I agreed with Wayne on the HD600 vs. HD650 as well.

Actually, you and I agree on pretty much everything as far as headphones go and always have. As I mentioned, there are pros and cons in the HE90 versus HD800 comparison (for me) but I'm also a fan of the HE90 coloration and it is noticeably more moving than the HD800. My guess is that I'd also have a hard time deciding between the HD800 and HE60 if I had them side by side.

I didn't like the HE60 as much as the HE90 but much preferred them over the O2 when I heard them all in the same room. I prefer the HD800 over the O2 as well (sorry Doug), although the O2's are excellent in many ways.

It's funny how different people react. They're all top notch headphones in my mind but from any given "Top 10 headphones of all time" list that any one of us might put together, nearly everyone else who reads that list would almost want to puke at at least one such selection.

I've heard the HD800 only briefly, but not in meet conditions, I.E. I was indeed able to listen critically.

HE90 by a wide margin. HE90 > HE60 > ... > HD650/HD600/HD580 (memory doesn't serve, they were all pretty close in family sound) > HD800 ...

Not sure where the HD250 II goes, I haven't been able to find mine.

It seems that rationality has returned on the HD800 thing. When they first came out, everyone loved them and they were universally praised. Even the few folks who weren't convinced didn't seem to post any strong negative impressions. Maybe they were afraid to saying anything for fear of mob retaliation?

The list now grows in the HD800 "don't get it" or "don't like it" camp: aerius, Duggeh, Dusty. This might be the same sort of thing that happened with the Qualia 010, except there it seemed apparent from day one that it would forever be a love or hate headphone, without much in between. I wonder if that will be the way the HD800 is perceived (on a wider scale) in years to come? Not that it really matters, I just find this sort of thing interesting.

Yeah, I guess I was being too polite in my reactions initially. At the time, I said they were, "okay"; in hindsight -- I.E. now -- I give them only 'meh'.

Lots of headphones become "meh" after you've put them through their paces. Most often, for me anyway, it's the ones that don't call undue attention to themselves in any way. The HP-2, for example. About as neutral and neutral can be and great for studio monitoring, but where is the spunk I'm looking for? Same with the K701. At first, I thought it had all sorts of promise but now it leaves me feeling bland. HD600 for that matter.

Maybe that's what is happening with the HD800. Too technical and not musical enough? Lacking in character, as in no coloration, nothing that grabs you on an emotional level and makes you want to listen for hours on end? The HE5's have this fail potential as well.

Lots of headphones become "meh" after you've put them through their paces. Most often, for me anyway, it's the ones that don't call undue attention to themselves in any way. The HP-2, for example. About as neutral and neutral can be and great for studio monitoring, but where is the spunk I'm looking for? Same with the K701. At first, I thought it had all sorts of promise but now it leaves me feeling bland. HD600 for that matter.

Maybe that's what is happening with the HD800. Too technical and not musical enough? Lacking in character, as in no coloration, nothing that grabs you on an emotional level and makes you want to listen for hours on end? The HE5's have this fail potential as well.

I've actually heard everything on the list except the HD800 but don't remember the sound of the 'stats.:P Just wanted to say that the headphones you just mentioned are the kind I prefer (neutral, flat, uncolored) so I really want to hear the HD800.

Edited by mypasswordis
too many justs

Again, no love for the 800? I find them to be leagues better, or at least leagues different, than the 650 or 600. In many ways (to my ears), they're not even recognizable as being produced by the same company.

Yes I think theyre leagues (technically) better too, but not more engaging. Theres a reason why, overall, I prefer grados over Senns.