Best Sennheiser?

Wmcmanus

In your opinion, what is the best headphone Sennheiser has ever produced?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion, what is the best headphone Sennheiser has ever produced?

• HE90
    • HE60
    • HD800
    • HD650
    • HD600
    • I'd better not vote or Vicki will get pissed because I haven't heard both the HE90 and HD800

I this case it just means that these are fine headphones but poor value since you can get this level of performance elsewhere for less. Nothing new though since to me all Sennheiser's are poor value, save for the HD580.

The Stax Omegas are a faithful representation of what you feed them so in effect nothing special. Both the SR-Omega and SR-007Mk2/A add a little bit of color, each in their own way, but the phones are essentially devoid of colorations. This is what I listen to every day and the HD800 doesn't come close, far too colored. It isn't a bad effect though if you are into that kind of sound.

The wow factor can be very misleading and is often why people choose MP3's over lossless encoders as the MP3 isn't as linear and can be "impressive". Aside from the soundstage the HD800 isn't impressive so that might be why they fell out of favor so quickly.

My only reaction to this post is a good long laugh mainly at its inaccuracy, but also at the arrogant, condescending, know-it-all tone you use so often in your posts Spritzer.

They fell out of favor? Not with me. Preferred them to the O2 MK1's I had and thought them less colored.

Same here. Some people will just never be able to admit when another headphone is superior to their long time favorites.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm rather sensitive to this whole diffused thing but there are ways to get a great soundstage and not have it sound like that, the SR-Sigma for instance.

Ah got it now, seems that not being able to plug into a BH was the ultimate killer.:D But anyways, I figured that it would be the presentation of the soundstage that would do it in for you. I luckily got to compare the Q010 and HD800 on the same setup and the Qualia manages to have spacious headstage with more pinpoint imaging to me. But i'm going to really take time and listen to the HD800 at my next chance(soon most likely)so I can have a firmer grasp on its sound for myself.

Ah got it now, seems that not being able to plug into a BH was the ultimate killer.:D But anyways, I figured that it would be the presentation of the soundstage that would do it in for you. I luckily got to compare the Q010 and HD800 on the same setup and the Qualia manages to have spacious headstage with more pinpoint imaging to me. But i'm going to really take time and listen to the HD800 at my next chance(soon most likely)so I can have a firmer grasp on its sound for myself.

Don't listen to him. He says he doesn't like the whole diffused thing and yet he likes the SR-Omega. :P

I did the Q010 vs HD800 too. Again the Qualia came out below. The has enhanced highs and hence seems fast and pinpointed because it makes strings and voices rise out of the less pin-pointable bass. Also the Qualia had worse measured distortion performance if I remember, god they were comfy though. YMMV.

My MK1 vs HD800 was done on a KGSS but I really doubt the BH would have made any difference in the end to how it turned out.

Also the Qualia had worse measured distortion performance if I remember, god they were comfy though.

About as comfy as sitting perfectly still in a dentist's chair for an hour for fear that they'll slip a millimeter and send you back to the drawing board again in an effort to get anything close to a reasonable seal.

YMMV.

Indeed. But I still think they're great. Just wish I was one of the lucky ones who can get them to seal. It really distracts from my listening enjoyment with them.

I guess I had a "Qualia" head because my pair were fine and I didn't have any fit issues for the month or three that I owned them unless I tried hard too by placing them too far forward. My recollection was that I had a pair of smalls. They are Justin's now and I'm hopeful that a lot more people get to try them now.

A big player I haven't tried in my setup is the Orpheus and considering I've sold the KGSS I would say that's not going to happen. The only ones that I would like to spend more time with is the 4070. Maybe when I get an office one day I can setup a electrostat rig for work (unlikely).

Very interesting, although the Qualia seemed to have an endless amount of treble, its overall presentation was suprisingly balanced to me. How it pulls off this trick i'm not exactly sure. How did the MKI vs HD800 test measurements come out?

Don't remember. Haven't measured anything since the 800s arrived and I sold everything else. I guess I should sell the 650s but they were the first full size cans I bought on my journey and I just don't want to even though I don't enjoy them.

In the end "neutral" really depends on what diffuse field EQ people are aiming for and many other issues. Stax aims for the Diffuse field standard and apparently so does Beyer. I believe that Senn has their own version of the diffuse field EQ that is slightly different again. Who knows.

Edit: 6 months with no measurement. Wow..

That might explain why I always found it so decent. I usually was listening by night at pretty low volumes. And I use to play with the output of my sources so so I can turn my amps loud enough to make them fully enter on linear operation and yet still get low volumes. Obviously they never clipped on me in those conditions.

jinp6301, perhaps both of us are :kitty:

I imagine with an attenuatable source things would be fine. With balanced outs that are normally double the output of single ended it causes problems.

My only reaction to this post is a good long laugh mainly at its inaccuracy, but also at the arrogant, condescending, know-it-all tone you use so often in your posts Spritzer.

Same here. Some people will just never be able to admit when another headphone is superior to their long time favorites.

:confused: they're all opinions being posted here, no one is stating fact. Putting IMO in every comment posted is lame.

A few minutes ago I ripped the XLR connectors off a Zu Mobius so I can connect the wiring directly to the output of an EAR V20 and the HD650 are sounding pretty great. I wouldn't say SDS-XLR great (by memory) but still... I need to keep auditioning them, though... It's going to be a tough night...

I wonder if people usually try to connect the HDs to conventional amplifiers in the same way that we all are doing with the K1000. I guess we could get pretty nice surprises.

BTW, pretty impressed with the V20. 30 tubes and still dead quiet even at max volume with zero input signal. I know I have 300 Ohms but still...

Damn, Nomad's surfaced. Howdy.

Cheers Vicki. Yes. It has been a while, being very busy. But a pleasure to come back, as always. :)

So much catch up to do... In these months a SRM-T2 surfaced, I barely tried the HD800 and didn't heard the Jade, the PS1000 or the T1 just yet. Many new amps and interesting DIY projects to follow as well. This new brand of IEMs that might make me consider to replace my UE10s... Oh well...

I do like the Qualias a lot. No more than the R10s, though. I was toying with them a couple of hours before. Unfortunately I can't use them while in bed as I lose the seal with the pillow pressing around. I have to agree with Wayne that I can be kind of tense while having the Qualias on my head, fearing to lose the seal.

Interesting the similar paths that Sony and Senn followed... from a euphonic can (R10, HD650) to a completely new modern design leaning towards a more "surgical" sound (Qualias, HD800). Both with quite conflicting impressions depending on people...

Well, back to my listening (and it is 2:13AM here) :kitty:

Yes, and he's diggin' on the EAR V20 and K1000 set up! I think I'll blow the dust off of that combo myself tomorrow in his honor. It's been a while since I've imbibed on that liquidy smooth sound.

You won't be sorry, Wayne! :dance:

If you ever have the chance to connect the 650s to the V20, I'd be interested in to know how the setup compares to your other amps, as I can't really rely on my memory: it has been a while since I heard the 650 in one of your uberamps.

Yes!!! Dinny, join me in the "headphones that people think are neutral actually need more bass" team!

The evil that "Sony Megabass" brought to this world... All those poor kids with those tiny walkmans that would infect their ears, making them bassheads for life... :P