What bizarre foods have you eaten?

jvlgato

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had lots of haggis and black pudding (blood pudding). And a good share of various offel. Sweetbreads are nice. Ostrich, alligator, crocodile, kangaroo. Rabbit isn't bizzare whatsoever here, less bizzare in Scotland even than haggis.

I'd like to try testicle, dog, cat, snake, whatever. So long as I don't have to eat insects. I have a sort of phobia for creepy crawlies.

Well not really bizarre, but I have made it a point to eat any wild caught food that has come my way:

Things not mentioned here yet:

Amphibia: Tiger Salamander

Reptilia: Cooter, Yellow bellied Slider, Snapping Turtle, Bull Snake, and Iguana

Aves: Mourning Dove, Duck Blood (in Soup)

Mammalia: White-tailed and Mule Deer, Pronghorn, Moose, Caribou, Musk-Ox, Walrus, Raccoon, all three North American bears, Castor canadensis (to alleviate :D) and Agouti.

The only thing I did not really care for was the raccoon.

If you had seen the things I have seen come out of pig lung, you wouldn't eat it. EVER.

Dare I ask for the gory details?

Nutria stew. Mmmm, good.

%C1%E304Nutria.jpg

Interesting. I think I saw Zimmern eat that on one of his Bizarre Foods episodes. He quite liked it!

I've also love spam, which is probably pretty bizarre :P

My Mom used to fry Spam for breakfast when I was a kid. I think Spam is a delicacy in the Philippines, and in Hawaii. I seem to recall there was a four star restaurant that had a Spam dish in Hawaii. And of course there's the Spam Museum in MN. Never been there, though.

Here, bull or stallion testicles are called "Rocky Mountain Oysters".

Never had the courage to eat Rocky Mountain Oysters. It seems like it would be painful to even bite into a testicle. It hurts just typing this.

Ive had lots of haggis and black pudding (blood pudding).

I've got to have me some haggis. Been on my list for a while now. I just wonder how authentic anything in the USA would be?

Well not really bizarre, but I have made it a point to eat any wild caught food that has come my way:

Things not mentioned here yet:

Amphibia: Tiger Salamander

Reptilia: Cooter, Yellow bellied Slider, Snapping Turtle, Bull Snake, and Iguana

Aves: Mourning Dove, Duck Blood (in Soup)

Mammalia: White-tailed and Mule Deer, Pronghorn, Moose, Caribou, Musk-Ox, Walrus, Raccoon, all three North American bears, Castor canadensis (to alleviate :D) and Agouti.

The only thing I did not really care for was the raccoon.

Wow, morphsci, I don't think I've had any of these! What is the taste and texture of reptiles, esp Iguana and Turtle?

Dare I ask for the gory details?

Anything airborne that you are exposed to gets breathed into the lungs. If it gets stuck in the airways, its gets infected. If it gets infected, it gets nasty....... real nasty. You often can't see even huge infectious pustules unless you dissect out the whole lung - but into the cooking pot it would go.

I'm fine with the whole eating organs thing because generally they can be made quite sanitary, but with the filthy environment that pigs are raised in, you DO NOT want to eat the lungs.

What happens when toreador looses? :eek:

We bury him with great pomp and circumstance, but leaving his family jewels in place :P

Here, bull or stallion testicles are called "Rocky Mountain Oysters".

Thanks for the information. Never tried stallion ones.

On the amphibia front I've eaten frog legs several times, also some kind of Salamander in Mexico. Don't ask :palm:

Tongue anyone?

Had it a nice tongue sandwich from a Jewish deli just the other day.

Anyone here likes roasted or baked marrow bones?

You like mustard or ketchup on that tongue sandwich?

I've never seen a dish of just marrow, but my brother and I used to fight over the big bones for the marrow when we'd have stew or soup with big boned meat involved.

Can you get a bone marrow dish somewhere?

The most bizarre food I've ever eaten is sushi. I know, I'm boring; do you know what? Fuck you. I'm not eating a fucking bug.

993938.jpg

That's cool, Dusty! Sushi is great stuff, and plenty of people are afraid of that. And who needs bugs anyway, when you've got worms and lung?

Chinese people usually eat everything on an animal. I've had tongues, eyes, and various random organs. Of course, it's usually easier to eat it if you don't know the origins of it.

I can't really bring myself to try insects though. I saw deep fried crickets, silk worms, and the like in rural chinese markets, and suffice to say my fancy was not tickled ..

You like mustard or ketchup on that tongue sandwich?

I've never seen a dish of just marrow, but my brother and I used to fight over the big bones for the marrow when we'd have stew or soup with big boned meat involved.

Can you get a bone marrow dish somewhere?

Mustard or horseradish with beats. ;) Ketchup on tongue sandwich is just not kosher at all :P

What is the taste and texture of reptiles, esp Iguana and Turtle?

The Cooter and slider had the texture of chicken or turkey, the snapping turtle and iguana were more like pork and the closest thing to the bull snake was probably veal but a little firmer. The iguana was great as it was slow roasted on a spit over coals.