What bizarre foods have you eaten?

jvlgato

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Here you can. Haven't tried it myself though.

MMMMmmmm. Looks tasty! I like the rest of the page, too! I noticed the messed up eggs at the bottom, too ...

Don't ask me why, but I saw this T-shirt today and it reminded me of this thread: FUNNY T-SHIRT: PIE TASTES LIKE PUSSY

Funny ... My favorite bizarre food ... pie, that is :D

Mustard or horseradish with beats. ;) Ketchup on tongue sandwich is just not kosher at all :P

Boy, I think I've always done ketchup. I messed that up totally! :palm: Will have to try it again soon ... although I never did keep kosher, even when I was living in the Jewish neighborhood I grew up in ... :D

Don't mind them incorporated into dishes, just don't like the disassembly aspect of whole lobsters and crabs.

Agreed. Part of it is having to do all that work to get at the edible stuff, and partly it really is opening up giant sea bugs. It's also annoying having to kill the live ones (boil them to death and whatnot). Every once in awhile is okay, though.

I was in Maine this fall and had some fabulous shellfish. I have to say that I love it. But heard a great story there that there was a time when the local prisoners received so much lobster for their meals that they staged a protest to ask for something else besides all that damn lobster!

I dont like working for my food, so I stay away from crab and lobster :)

You definitely have to work for your food when it comes to crabs. However, this is good when it comes to the whole stomach-is-full signal/brain delay mechanism.

As far as weird foods I've eaten, I'd say the pig's feet terrine I had last week qualifies. It was much hyped by the waiter, but I was disappointed.

The Pilgrims brought livestock, but they and their descendants considered Lobster to be a food of last resort. Throughout New England, the only people fed Lobster were prisoners. In fact, several prison riots were caused by prisoners demanding to be fed something other than Lobster all the time.

The convicts of early North America, engaged in prison riots because they were served those sea vermin (lobsters) so often, as opposed to real food that ordinary, respectable people would eat.

Things I've eaten that haven't been mentioned yet: natto and smelly tofu. Natto is quite nice, but smelly tofu I haven't quite gotten a hang of yet. It tastes exactly like what it smells like, which is unpleasant to say the least.

On the less bizarre side, durians. Can't quite understand why some people find it unpalatable <_<

In colonial and later times, lobster was considered peasant food. Only the poor and, I guess, prisoners ate it.

The Pilgrims brought livestock, but they and their descendants considered Lobster to be a food of last resort. Throughout New England, the only people fed Lobster were prisoners. In fact, several prison riots were caused by prisoners demanding to be fed something other than Lobster all the time.

The convicts of early North America, engaged in prison riots because they were served those sea vermin (lobsters) so often, as opposed to real food that ordinary, respectable people would eat.

Thanks for clearing that up. Learn something new everyday. :)

Things I've eaten that haven't been mentioned yet: natto and smelly tofu. Natto is quite nice, but smelly tofu I haven't quite gotten a hang of yet. It tastes exactly like what it smells like, which is unpleasant to say the least.

On the less bizarre side, durians. Can't quite understand why some people find it unpalatable <_<

Actually, I thought smelly tofu tasted no different from normal, just slightly crispier. The smell, on the other hand, is something you definitely need to get used to. Definitely agree with you on durians, I LOVE them. :D

Never even heard of natto, I had to look it up, thanks for the post! I was hoping someone would bring up Japanese. Puffer fish anyone? Or that fish they slice up live and flash fry so that it is not quite dead when it is served?

Geoduck ('gooey duck') anyone? Never had it, but I love clams and missed my chance once in San Fransisco, when the menu offered fresh geoduck, but when ordered, was told they were all out. :mad:

You definitely have to work for your food when it comes to crabs. However, this is good when it comes to the whole stomach-is-full signal/brain delay mechanism.

As far as weird foods I've eaten, I'd say the pig's feet terrine I had last week qualifies. It was much hyped by the waiter, but I was disappointed.

I've never understood terrine of any type, much less pig's feet. Terrine reminds me of jello w/ fruit cocktail in suspended animation and served as 'salad'. At my first Thanksgiving w/ my in-laws, in small town Wisconsin, the table discussion was the optimal number of cows to milk in a day; Uncle Bill asked me to 'pass the salad'. I looked in panic for anything leafy and green and could find none. My wife nudged me and whispered, 'he wants the jello,' which was sitting right in front of me. I looked like more of an idiot than I already am! :confused:

Thanks for clearing that up. Learn something new everyday. :)

Actually, I thought smelly tofu tasted no different from normal, just slightly crispier. The smell, on the other hand, is something you definitely need to get used to. Definitely agree with you on durians, I LOVE them. :D

Smelly tofu - I'll take a pass. It's tofu, and it's smelly; I'll just have tofu that isn't smelly.

Durian is an acquired taste, I think. The first few times I had it, the odor was just so overwhelming. After a while, I got used to it, and it does have its charm. Interestingly, I have heard that the better hotels in Asia ban durian because it is impossible to remove its odor once it's been eaten in the area, and customers flee, never to return. Also, in all the Zimmern shows I've seen, with him eating bugs and rodents, and all kinds of putrid looking things, and ALWAYS saying, 'oh, this is delicious,' the ONLY item I've ever seen him turn up his nose in disgust with is ... durian. He nearly vomited in the midst of his first swallow and said it's the worst thing he's ever eaten. Which is funny, when he just finished a segment on some horribly yucky thing and saying he loved it!

In colonial and later times, lobster was considered peasant food. Only the poor and, I guess, prisoners ate it.

Interesting, indeed. But I suppose, eating it every day, with no hot butter... prepared prison style (probably just boiled), ya sure, that would get boring.

Smelly tofu - I'll take a pass. It's tofu, and it's smelly; I'll just have tofu that isn't smelly.

:D

Durian is an acquired taste, I think. The first few times I had it, the odor was just so overwhelming. After a while, I got used to it, and it does have its charm. Interestingly, I have heard that the better hotels in Asia ban durian because it is impossible to remove its odor once it's been eaten in the area, and customers flee, never to return. Also, in all the Zimmern shows I've seen, with him eating bugs and rodents, and all kinds of putrid looking things, and ALWAYS saying, 'oh, this is delicious,' the ONLY item I've ever seen him turn up his nose in disgust with is ... durian. He nearly vomited in the midst of his first swallow and said it's the worst thing he's ever eaten. Which is funny, when he just finished a segment on some horribly yucky thing and saying he loved it!

There's some truth to that. Durian is banned on all public transport, and when you keep some durian in the fridge somehow everything in the fridge ends up tasting like it. Very potent, and not very pleasant.

• 5 months later...