Which Head-Caser's Music Collection Do You Envy?

luvdunhill

Does it have to be just one? :D

Probably Dusty.

Other than the complete lack of organization issue, of course.

I don't envy anyone's. I do envy people who know what they like and get it -- people like Aardvark, Deepak, postjack, even Colin. And grawk of the multiple copies of one album fame. I admire their focus.

But on the other hand, having so much music that you're constantly discovering new stuff within one's own collection is rewarding in an entirely different way.

I've been accused of liking music that is less than best -- and it's true. But I think I had adopted Hirsch's rule of 'if you don't make some missteps/fall flat on your face, you're not trying hard enough to stretch your boundaries', subconsciously, before it was even formulated as a thought, much less stated out loud.

I'm not saying everyone has to stretch their boundaries. But I do. I enjoy being surprised by something completely out of (my) left field. I also enjoy tried and true, of course, too.

My music collection is nothing.

Browse through this thread. My new listening room - see it develop over the next few weeks - SH Forums (pages 7-10 on default posts per page)

I would kill to own a complete Japanese TOCJ CD collection, even though the 45 rpm sound better the TOCJs are so cool. Or even most of the first pressing Japanese CDs pictured. Collecting vinyl is a whole new level of insanity. I will have to snap a pic of my friend's 100 or so original Blue Notes.

Edited by deepak

My collection is extreme eclecticism, so I doubt anyone else would get my taste, let alone covet my collection.

For the same reason it would be doubtful I'd find another collection I'd covet.

Just to drive the point home, here are 5 random selections...

Average White Band - AWB

The B-52's - Cosmic Thing

Eddy Arnold - The Essential Eddy Arnold

The Guess Who - The Best of the Guess Who

Tom Jones - The Best of Tom Jones

Several people's music BUDGET on the other hand... :)

About 10 years ago or so, I came to the realization that even if I had a million bucks I still wouldn't be able to buy all the music I wanted, assuming I had a place to put all the discs. Not to mention that it would take something like 50 years to listen to it all.

About 10 years ago or so, I came to the realization that even if I had a million bucks I still wouldn't be able to buy all the music I wanted, assuming I had a place to put all the discs. Not to mention that it would take something like 50 years to listen to it all.

And that's when I came to the realization I'd rather have a lot of music I will listen to instead of hoarding rare discs and vinyl. I recently sold one of the first ever pressed CDs (a sampler) that draws collectors, but the music itself is pretty mediocre.

Buying binaural CDs is my latest kick ^-^

Collecting CDs is a relatively benign condition. After all the most expensive CD that I know of has only sold for around $5000. Records on the other hand...

And that's when I came to the realization I'd rather have a lot of music I will listen to instead of hoarding rare discs and vinyl. I recently sold one of the first ever pressed CDs (a sampler) that draws collectors, but the music itself is pretty mediocre.

Buying binaural CDs is my latest kick ^-^

Collecting CDs is a relatively benign condition. After all the most expensive CD that I know of has only sold for around $5000. Records on the other hand...

Deepak, got a list of what you currently have on vinyl and CDs? :)

Deepak, got a list of what you currently have on vinyl and CDs? :)

I attempted it on rateyourmusic, but it's too much work :sadcat:

When I have all the music in one place I might try again. I have most of my vinyl here, but my CDs are scattered between my apartment, storage and my parent's house.

I don't particularly envy anyone else's music collection but it is nice to see the kind of music that's devoured by everyone here. It helps me find new music sometimes. ;) (For a long time my CD collection was more than 80% electronica/trip-hop - with the diversifying I've been doing lately it might be at almost 50% now.)

I've seen some pretty high prices on out-of-print MFSL and DCC Gold CDs on eBay. I don't know if the people who actually buy those are just crazy or obsessed, or both. I personally draw the line at $60 at most on out-of-print audiophile CDs and if I can get something lower, so much the better. :)

Steve Hoffman guy seems to have a Headroom Blockhead and HD600.

Not sure if he has those now, but his last listing of equipment I found (which is consistent with what he said at CanJam '09) is as follows:

Headphone systems

WooAudio 6 Single-Ended Class-A tube headphone amplifier

Channel Islands Audio VHP-1 Mark II Solid State headphone amplifier

Sennheiser HD-600 headphones with Stefan Audio Arts Equinox cable upgrade

AKG K-701 headphones with Ken Ball ALO Audio upgrade

Oritek Audio X interconnects

I attempted it on rateyourmusic, but it's too much work :sadcat:

When I have all the music in one place I might try again. I have most of my vinyl here, but my CDs are scattered between my apartment, storage and my parent's house.

This is windows only, but I've used it for this purpose before so I'll post it for anyone interested.

RJL Software - Software - Utility - TreeCopy