Magnepan 1.7

deepak

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intersting, a three-way from Magnepan. I have to audition Magnepan speakers again, as the one and only time I auditioned them they sounded terrible. I have to say it was probably the way they were setup. They were put up right against a wall and I don't think the tweeters were positioned correctly either. The combination produced muddy diffused sound with little detail and that seems to be exactly the opposite of some peoples opinions of these speakers.

Great news but are they going to make this any time soon? The small sub-sat speaker still hasn't reached production status...

Good point. I'd like to think soon, since it is a direct competitor to the 1.6, which will slow 1.6 sales (Steve Guttenberg mentions $2000 msrp, same as the 1.6). Whereas the mini/sub combo is more of a stand alone product in their lineup.

Wow, those look nice! Sadly, I'm out of the ribbon market for now since my old Apogee ribbons had fingers put through them first by a friend's kid, then by one or both of my two 4 year olds who got past my full protective gate. I'll wait until they get a little older and live vicariously through you all for now!

Intersting, a three-way from Magnepan. I have to audition Magnepan speakers again, as the one and only time I auditioned them they sounded terrible. I have to say it was probably the way they were setup. They were put up right against a wall and I don't think the tweeters were positioned correctly either. The combination produced muddy diffused sound with little detail and that seems to be exactly the opposite of some peoples opinions of these speakers.

Putting them right up against the wall is wrong on so many levels it should be a criminal offense. :palm:

Wow, those look nice! Sadly, I'm out of the ribbon market for now since my old Apogee ribbons had fingers put through them first by a friend's kid, then by one or both of my two 4 year olds who got past my full protective gate. I'll wait until they get a little older and live vicariously through you all for now!

You're probably aware that you can get ribbons for these? Not child proof, but replacements nonetheless (at least you could when my brother got replacements for his Centaurs).

You're probably aware that you can get ribbons for these? Not child proof, but replacements nonetheless (at least you could when my brother got replacements for his Centaurs).

Thanks for the info... Yes, I am aware. I replaced them myself once already when my friend's kids did the same thing a few years ago. My wife said she'd never seen me look so sad; she thought someone had died. I was never sure I did the tensioning quite right, but it did sound good to my ears. When my kids did it a few yrs later, I decided that if I fixed them again, it was only a matter of time before they did it again; it would just be a recurring battle until they reached a certain age. I gave them to a friend who had good DIY skills and who had a strong interest in them. I wasn't so active here yet, otherwise, I'm sure I could have found someone who would have gladly taken them off my hands! I bought a pair of dynamics (used Meadowlark Shearwaters) that I am quite pleased with, and the kids have shown no interest whatsoever. Something about those big shiny silver ribbons that attracts kids!

Cheaper than replacement ribbons is a $10 lock on the door to the listening room.

I pushed my fingers into the tweeters on my dads Monitor Audio speakers when I was wee though, and that room had (still has) a lock.

Exactly.

We have a pretty small house, and my man-cave now doubles as a kids' playroom. I have a fence going across the entire room to keep them out of the back where the good stuff is, but they leaned against it while watching TV, and the fence got closer and closer without me realizing it, until one day, there were the fingerprints embedded in both my ribbons, one of which was torn. :eek:

My next door neighbor once told me about the time he found a pop tart jammed into his fabulous new CD player; his kid wondered what it would sound like! Anyone with kids will tell you similar tales; it's just the cost of having the beloved little darlin's ... I love them ... I love them ... I love them ... I'd think about starting a thread called 'What horrible things did your darling children do to your high end equipment', but it would be way too painful for me to read. Although it might be good group therapy ...

Let's have a show of hands... who here isn't guilty of doing this as a child?
(raises hand) My dad taught me to respect his gear (I forget the kind of speaker -- yes, singular -- but it had a tweed grill), especially the hot tubes on the Heathkit.

On the other hand, a damn good turntable was destroyed during my high school years by another kid of a similar age at a party leaving a drink on the turntable while it spun round.