Magnepan 1.7

deepak

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad didn't have much of a stereo really, so I made up for not being able to ruin speakers by sticking a PB&J in the VCR. :palm:

I figured out how to open the cover on VHS tapes and drew on the tape so I could see it on the TV. It didn't work. :P

Near field listening is actually quite nice with Maggies. I wouldn't get closer than about 5 feet, but then I wouldn't sit any further back than 8 feet in most rooms either. I don't think that should be a terribly big concern, although it would be if you had less than 2-3 feet behind the Maggies and less than 2-3 feet behind the listener. I don't think they would do terribly well in a 10' x 10' bedroom, but then again, not too many speakers would so that's kind of a moot point.

Anyone know the minimum space required between the speakers and the listening position? The typical amount for magnepans in general?

Agree w/ wmcmanus. At least w/ my Apogees (which I assume are similar since Magnepan put them out of business for patent infringement), 5-8 feet was about right. Too close and the soundstage does not develop, too far, and it's too narrow. But they do need space around them to breathe. And they were VERY sensitive to placement - toe-in, distance from walls, each side being the same distance to listener, all needed to be very precise to have the best effect. But boy, when you get it all right, it's just magic!

Who's the violinist sketched in your icon? Heifetz, maybe?

Heifetz.

I'm going to measure my room tonight, not sure how big it is. I'd have no problem giving the speakers 3 feet or so from the back wall, but I'm uncertain how much room there would be between the speakers & couch, and couch & wall. Its basically a completely empty bedroom I can do whatever I want with, I just have to move out all the crap I put in there when I moved.

Ok, the room is about 10 feet wide, left to right, and 12 feet deep front to back. Sounds like it may be pushing it a bit?

I am looking into monitors and small speakers too. I was glancing at the mapleshade site and noticed they/he thinks this monitor sounds better than the magico minis.

Strada-CL4-IM.jpg

Gallo Acoustics Strada Reference Speakers-Mapleshade