0.5 lb Special B

0.5 lb Chocolate

2.0 lb Honey (last 10 min of boil)

Hop Schedule

1.0 oz Warrior pellets 60 min

2 oz cascase

2 oz fuggles

Alternated fuggles and cascade at 5 minute intervals

carry over yeast from my IPA (California Ale yeast)

• 4 weeks later...

Thai Wit

7 lbs. Munton's Wheat Extract

1/2 lb belgian aromatic malt

1/2 oz lemongrass

1/2 oz kaffir lime leaves

3/4 tsp crushed coriander

1 oz willamette hops (bitterness)

1/2 oz saaz hops (aroma)

White Labs wlp400 Belgian wit yeast

• 1 month later...

I want to start home brewing. I have looked about and am considering this as my entry into the art before graduating to more fulsome brewing.

Is there something objectionable about that kit? It seems between a pre-measured mix with cold water kit and a full set of grain based gear.

I have 2 cases of grawk light ipa bottled for gene, as well as a 6 pack of grawk alt alaskan amber clone. I also have 8 of the ipa's reserved for local consumption, and 4 gallons of alt on tap.

Dan, I don't care what jp, Vicki, Mike, Al, and anyone else says about you ... u r d man!

I am driving north later in the summer, and will coordinate pickup. If jp dares, he can join in the rendezvous. What am I saying? Of course he dares. Fun times coming ...

I want to start home brewing. I have looked about and am considering this as my entry into the art before graduating to more fulsome brewing.

Is there something objectionable about that kit? It seems between a pre-measured mix with cold water kit and a full set of grain based gear.

I guess it depends how much you want to spend and if you plan on bottling or keging the beer. If you think keging will be the way to go I would skip the kit and purchase glass carboys instead.

I definitely prefer brewing in glass carboys, but I'd look for 6/6.5 gallon ones for use as a primary fermenter. The buckets work ok, but if they get scratched, that's a potential place for bacteria to hide.

My other main suggestion is to use liquid yeast if possible. If you can't find it in stores, check with local biology departments, sometimes they culture beer yeasts...

I'm kegging my wit beer today. So on tap after this afternoon are weird pink birch/wintergreen soda, grawk alt, and grawk wit

• 2 weeks later...
Just kegged my summer wheat, and a rootbeer. So right now, I have 3 kegs on tap.

Very nice.

Can't wait to get back and start up brewing again. I'm starting to think the brewing beer might be what I want to do when I grow up. Three years to perfect some recipes before I retire.

This is becoming quite the trend. Grawk is now brewing in near commercial quantities for a craft brewer, Doug is working at a distillery and working up a business plan for his brewery and now Naaman is thinking about beer recipes while flying around in deadly military hardware. Somehow I think you guys should put all of this disparate energy into a group enterprise of some sort. How about it, gang, wanna build an international craft brewing super-power?