Sennheiser at CES 2010

Voltron

HD800 shaped cups, wonder if they are similar in comfort. /me want real velour, not crappy paper texture pads. Wonder if those velour pads on that one model fit the others...

Amazon.com: Sennheiser RS 180 Digital Wireless Headphone System with Automatic Level Control and Adustable Balance Control: Electronics

I really like the transmission center headphone stand.

I've tried some of the older RS series of wireless, was not too impressed, with sound quality or capability to send signal without excess hiss and noise. A decent sounding and good SIGNAL wireless phone would be pretty cool.

But I think the new products will be.....the i series. Led by the HD-800i. New cable design to go with that new logo! :D

It seems to me that the releases of the recent Bluetooth headphones/headsets -- the PX 210 BT, PXC 310 BT, MM 400 and MM 450 -- were done awfully quietly, just zero fanfare. Even if Sennheiser doesn't have a lot of new-for-CES product to announce, just getting more attention on these products from last year ought to be worthwhile for them.

The MM 400 is darn great sounding IMO. And I don't just mean "for a Bluetooth headphone" or "for a headset." I heard it without knowing it was either of those, and was seriously impressed. (So I guess I mean it sounds great "for a small, comfortable portable headphone," since I did know it was one of those.)

Are wireless cans that big a deal?

No - not if you want quality.

Wireless cans are perfect for convenience, but you pay for the transmitter and receiver as well as the headphones.

For sound quality, wired is always best.

But wireless are great for the TV and the bedroom and wandering around the house listening.

Good ones would be. To me, anyway (he says after lifting up his chair after having run over the cord for the umpteenth time today).

Remember, that means the amp and the DAC would be in the headphone.

DynaFET on your head... let me know how that works out :)

I've tried some of the older RS series of wireless, was not too impressed, with sound quality or capability to send signal without excess hiss and noise. A decent sounding and good SIGNAL wireless phone would be pretty cool.

But I think the new products will be.....the i series. Led by the HD-800i. New cable design to go with that new logo! :D

:headcase:

The very best cordless headphones I heard were the IS 850.

These were the HD 580 headphones with wireless infra-red - the signal was actually sent digitally and the DAC was in the headphones.

The sound quality was superb but not that many were sold.

Why - because the IS 850 were

...spent [4x] price ... for the convenience of cordless and most people could not justify it.

SO - a cordless pair of HD 800 ??????

I'm hoping those numbers don't scale the same.

The trick is to match the amp to a transducer that sounds good out of a dynafet -- like the JH13's (I'm guessing) or the Sony MDR-7506/-V6 (which sounds good out of a laptop jack -- not as good as with a real headphone amp, but it doesn't "scale like a bastard" like amp-hungry headphones do).

I have to say I could quite happily live with the RS170 (closed) or RS180 (open) for quite some time. I really do think they sounded great for what they are. My guess is that for folks here using a wireless as a secondary headphone for music while doing dishes or for movies or listening in bed, they would be quite satisfied.

The RS160 is pretty range limited; good for a bedroom headphone though.

I have given several RS160 as gifts over the last couple of years and they are always a huge hit. The recipients are not audio-phreaks but they like the sound and can watch football, wander around with classical playing all the time, or listen to podcasts when they were previously hampered by spouses or sleeping kids or whatever. If these are much better, then it is a cool thing.

Still sucks that they don't have anything to announce for us. :sadcat:

I have given several RS160 as gifts over the last couple of years and they are always a huge hit. The recipients are not audio-phreaks but they like the sound and can watch football, wander around with classical playing all the time, or listen to podcasts when they were previously hampered by spouses or sleeping kids or whatever. If these are much better, then it is a cool thing.

Still sucks that they don't have anything to announce for us. :sadcat:

I meant I have gifted the RS130, not RS160. :chair: