Sub Cable Advice

Augsburger

I need to move some of my speaker gear around to accommodate my future TT which means I need to move my sub woofer about fifteen feet away from its current location. Allowing for curves banisters and height, I estimate I need a 25 foot L/R cable terminated with RCAs and 1/4 TS.

Do I need a shielded cable for a sub woofer? Some forum posts say yes others say it doesn't matter. I do not seem to have any RFI issues in my listening room with my current pro audio sub woofer cable but I have no idea if these are shielded or not.

After searching around until I have a headache I have narrowed my choices down to either-

The Belden 1808A

Belden 1808A, twin Miniature Coaxial Cable, color Black

Belden 1505 F (overkill?)-

Belden 1505F Bulk Flexible Audiio Video RG59 Coaxial Cable

Or just plain rip cord. What do you people say?

Thanks for any guidance.

I can't answer the question on the cable types, but......

Blue Jeans Cable will do you a 25ft 1505F RCA-RCA for $42.75. That's a bit more than the bulk cable you linked to, but it is professionally terminated. Or you could go for the lower capacitance (but stiffer) LC-1 for $43.50. I'm sure if you asked for 1/4 TS instead of RCA on one end they could accommodate you.

I purchased a 35ft stereo RCA that is RG59 for $6.75 from Monoprice. Works like a champ.

Thanks Naaman, my only concern though is that particular cable is not shielded and for such a long cable and with my luck I may need the extra protection of the shielding. They have great prices on some other cables I need. :)

Thanks Naaman, my only concern though is that particular cable is not shielded and for such a long cable and with my luck I may need the extra protection of the shielding. They have great prices on some other cables I need. :)

I haven't seen the cable in question, but if it's RG59 then it certainly is shielded.

when are you getting it?

and what are you planning to get?

I bought JP Num's Denon 59L and I will get it when I drag myself up to the Bay Area. I would like to try for February but it is not looking good at this time.

Thanks for the info on the Rg59 Fitz, I looked on the Monoprice website and I looked around on Google but found nothing about shielding. I guess I didn't spend enough time looking.

Cables ordered.

Thanks everyone.

My experience is that shielded was good for me, but (a) I also confirmed that I needed it even with a short run, and (B) I was using the sub's crossovers and ran the crossover point pretty high (Spendor S3/5's -- was using subs as the third in a faux-3-way speaker) so for all I know, was getting twice the signal strength right at 60 Hz.

It certainly wouldn't hurt. Dew et.