Opinions Sought (remolding of IEMs)

n_maher

So I've pretty much convinced myself to go back down the rabbit hole that is Custom IEMs. My budget, as usual, is somewhat limited so I'm trying to weigh all of my options. Over a year ago I started a similar thread and at the time was pretty much ready to pull the trigger on some Freq product right as they decided to go under. So I tried the Livewires, they sucked without an amp, so I bailed and gave the idea more time to percolate. In addition to the traditional options this time I'm also considering one of the new-to-the-scene remolding/shelling services that have come about in the last 6 months or so. I have a pair of TF10 Pros that would be pretty ideal for this and so I figured I'd put it out there and get some feedback. Anyone have any direct experience with this type of service?

Pros:

Cost - $200 to have the TF10's turned into customs, $300 if I want an additional driver added to allegedly bring them within 5% of UE11s

Cons:

Location - almost definitely means dealing with an overseas company. I've heard there's a place in Florida but I can't find it.

Resale - I'd imagine the value for something like this is $0, which honestly I'm pretty comfortable with.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate, the place in Florida is Fisher Hearing, I believe. I have a pair of FreqShows I may send to have reshelled. They do not go as deep as the JH13's and I figure I have them around. If the cost is under $100 I might as well have them reshelled especially since I have an extra set of molds from CJ '09.

Edited by tyrion

Maybe I should send my jh13 since there were some adjustments made. What was the turnaround time for you?

Mine was 5 days when they were still 'inactive'. Right now they're swamped with orders and I saw the turnaround is around 10-14 days. Not a big deal though.

The company Nate mentioned is Unique Melody in China. Their build quality is top-notch, I must confess. Much better than any custom IEMs I've ever seen. The problem here is their response and English is very bad.

A couples pics to compare my JH13s with their remold SE530:

4190155283_59332a9e8a_d.jpg

4190915226_5200bac5ae_d.jpg

Sounds like I may want to be quick before rates go up. :)

They said they won't go up the price.

@edit: They won't do the Etys. Only BA drivers.

Hmm, it only cost 80$ + cable + shipping for remolding your TF10. The company is Fisher Hearing, located in Florida.

I went through the process of remolding my SE530 (and TF10 this week) with them and result is really good.

Nate, I think this may be the Florida place you're thinking of - Welcome

Here's the thread on HF about one guy's experience with them - IEMs reshelled into Custom Molds $80 in the USA (TripleFi 10, SE530, etc.) from FISHER HEARING - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Nate, the place in Florida is Fisher Hearing, I believe. I have a pair of FreqShows I may send to have reshelled. They do not go as deep as the JH13's and I figure I have them around. If the cost is under $100 I might as well have them reshelled especially since I have an extra set of molds from CJ '09.

Thanks guys, I had impressions taken yesterday (my local ear doc does it for $25) so I'm pretty much good to go on that front and for the apparent price it's a no brainer. I'll drop them a line today and see what they say regarding turn-around but 2 weeks+ is fine by me.

Lil' Knight, I'm curious, how do the custom SE530 compare to your JH13?

Well, it's hard to 'measure' the difference but the JH13 is still better on every way. The only thing the SE530 can stand against the JH13 is the mids. I love its fun, colored mids :chair:

Comparing with the stock SE530s, the remold has better comfort (surely), soundstage and the highs are less rolled off. I bought the SE530 in beaten up condition for ~100$ so for a total of 210$, I'd say it's a steal.

I looked at the website and tried calling, how exactly does one order from Fisher?

Not sure about now, but last time I did, I just emailed them in advance to let them know I sent the stuffs in. All you need to do is to include the impressions, the IEMs and a small piece of note, telling them exactly what you want (color, cable, name on shell and shipping address). They will call you for the CC info when they finish the order. They don't take Paypal.

Looks like they have the order form now but a simple note would do the trick.

I'll wait to hear what you have to say about them.

I already saw a picture of someone who got an Autobot symbol on theirs. Pretty bad ass imo.

I sent in the order form and will send TF10s and impressions tomorrow. I opted to pay $15 to have the turn-around time cut to 3 days so I should have them before the end of the month. I went with the Dusty black/black option, no artwork.