Opinions Sought (remolding of IEMs)

n_maher

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to add that Fisher's presale customer service has been excellent. They were even kind enough to remind me that I didn't need to purchase one of their cables since my TF10s already come with a detachable cable that they can reuse. I thought that rather nice of them considering it cost them $20 in sales. My impressions and headphones should arrive in FLA on Monday and should be headed back to me before the end of next week. Sweet.

What Mike said. I also specifically asked my local audiologist about this and he said he can handle minor fit issues as well. But I do like the $90 fit guarantee and the fact that it only costs $5 to ship them back and only takes 2 days via Priority Mail in the event there is a fit issue. That was one of my bigger hangups with services like Unique Melody.

I'd just like to add that Fisher's presale customer service has been excellent. They were even kind enough to remind me that I didn't need to purchase one of their cables since my TF10s already come with a detachable cable that they can reuse. I thought that rather nice of them considering it cost them $20 in sales. My impressions and headphones should arrive in FLA on Monday and should be headed back to me before the end of next week. Sweet.

Nate, I'm glad your experience has been positive. When I first ordered my FreqShows, they messed up the fit twice. After I complained, they arranged for a staff member from Fisher to meet me at a location close to my home (even though Fisher was only 15 mins away from me) and he a new set of impressions on the spot. They mailed me the new set after a week and they got the fit just right.

• 2 weeks later...
Quick update - the good folks at Fisher called yesterday to inform me that my customs were done and ready to ship. I opted for UPS 2 day shipping so they should be here tomorrow and I'm loading up the Ipod with tunes in preparation.

Eagerly awaiting your impressions. I bought a pack of medium comply foams for mine and they're a bit small. I just want some reassurance that they sound good from someone here before I go get impressions done.

I'll try to get a few pics up soon, they look as one would expect them to so there really isn't much to show.

Initial musings... fit is pretty good although the left earpiece, which at first felt better than the right seems to actually fit a little worse and cause slight discomfort after it's removed but oddly not while wearing them. I wore them for a couple of 1hr+ stretches this weekend and didn't have any issues during use, but on Sunday my left ear canal was a little sore. I want to give this a little time before assuming a re-fit will be necessary since my ears and I are new to customs and I could be part of the problem. Sound quality wise the review is mixed. I had no real listening time with the original TF10 so I can't compare but my impression so far is that they are considerably more laid back than my ER4Ps. I'm one of those people who never had an issue with how the Etys sounded on the top end so right now I do kind of feel like something is missing up there. We'll see how that goes as I aclimate to this particular presentation. I can say that they have pretty decent low end, not bloated or flabby and certainly in greater quantity compared to the Etys.

I guess so far what I'd say is that given the $200ish price point that these represent to me I'm very pleased but if I'd say, dropped the MSRP of $400 on the TF10s and then another $100 getting them refitted I probably wouldn't feel the same way.

Nate, the fit issue you are describing seems very similar to what I experienced with my JH13. The right earpiece was ever so slightly comfortable while in, but I sort of didn't notice it after a while...until I removed the right earpiece and felt a sense of relief, like my ear canal was sore and I didn't realize it.

• 1 month later...

Well, I dont know if anyone cares, but I got my triple fi's remolded as well. When I received them for the first time, in one of the earphones, the wire connecting from the connector to the crossover got desoldered somehow and had to send them back. Besides that, fisher did a great job with the remold. The sound sig has changed to a more bassy sound for some reason though.