UE18 Pro -- The great driver wars are upon us

The Monkey

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The JH16 is our 8 driver, 3 way, triple bore IEM. Pre order now, ships mid-March.

Oh my......:eek:

I held out on the JH13 but this is just too much. Triple bore and 8 drivers? I can only assume extreme frequency extention, and ungodly separation. Now if Mr. Harvey can make this sound coherent w/all those drivers and keeps with the neutral theme as with the JH13 then I just might buckle and cave into this JH madness.

Oh my......:eek:

I held out on the JH13 but this is just too much. Triple bore and 8 drivers? I can only assume extreme frequency extention, and ungodly separation. Now if Mr. Harvey can make this sound coherent w/all those drivers and keeps with the neutral theme as with the JH13 then I just might buckle and cave into this JH madness.

Extra two drivers (over JH13) are bass drivers. As noted at some point in the JH thread here as well as noted by Jude over on HF, JH16's sound may be JH13 with more bass emphasis.

This is an interesting announcement. I'm just going to take a deep breath and be happy. But I feel like this could be a strategic play/tweak of UE. What a great marketing move to upstage UE the day after its own big announcement with an even bigger JHA announcement. However, I remember reading here all along that these were not meant for us (audio enthusiasts), but rather the live performers. What changed?

My guess would be that JH started hearing a lot of interest from non-musos. Why look a gift horse in the mouth?

OT, but Mrs. Monkey, when I first met her, thought the saying was "Why kick a gift horse in the mouth?"

I'm holding at the JH13 for now...unless jp and vicki both cave, in which case I don't stand a chance.

And if you all cave, a black hole of wallet suck will ensue.

I read on head-fi where JH stated in the release that they tweaked the JH16 to make the JH16 Pro after engineers supposedly said the market could use the bass increase. So, it seems that by building on the JH13 signature and the JH16, these are supposed to have crossover improvements to make the pro version.

I'm also not interested in either still, but will watch the price of the JH13 especially knowing the JH Audio with do reshelling for $75 from what I hear (which UE would not do originally for any price).

It will be interesting to see where JH Audio is going with the JH16, I for one wouldn't care for a JH13 with more bass. The JH13 are not perfect, but the one thing I really like about them is their uncolored presentation and boosting the bass (mostly mid-bass I would guess) would derail from their neutral character.

If I had to propose improvements for the JH13, they'd be:

- Wider soundstage (mostly front-to back, not sure if it's possible to implement such a thing in IEMs)

- A bit more "sparkle" in the treble region

Otherwise, I'm still in love with them and they're the most enjoyable headphones I've had in my possession along with the SR-007. Still, it's interesting to see new developments in high-end customs and I'll be looking forward tyrion's impressions.