UE18 Pro -- The great driver wars are upon us

The Monkey

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are the two extra bass drivers in there for bass emphasis? Better bass resolution and control? Better sales through marketing? I'm confused. Is this meant to replace the JH13 as the TOTL custom or compliment it as an extra bassy version?

Either way, I've held out on the JH13 this long, and might as well hold out a bit longer until I know what's what. Then, there's also the BHSE fund that needs, um, starting up.

So are the two extra bass drivers in there for bass emphasis? Better bass resolution and control? Better sales through marketing? I'm confused. Is this meant to replace the JH13 as the TOTL custom or compliment it as an extra bassy version?

Either way, I've held out on the JH13 this long, and might as well hold out a bit longer until I know what's what. Then, there's also the BHSE fund that needs, um, starting up.

AFAIK the JH16 is meant to compliment the JH13, for those who would use it, mainly in a live music environment, where much great bass headroom is necessary. The extra bass drivers give it the ability to handle very high SPLs, even with bass boosted for the performer's rhythmic benefit.

At least when the topic of what became the JH16 came up, when I last spoke with Jerry, he had me pretty convinced that this is not a piece for the audiophile set, and would not offer us an "upgrade" per say over the JH13 for OUR purposes. Hence the reason that despite having known about it for a while, I really could have cared less.

AFAIK the JH16 is meant to compliment the JH13, for those who would use it, mainly in a live music environment, where much great bass headroom is necessary. The extra bass drivers give it the ability to handle very high SPLs, even with bass boosted for the performer's rhythmic benefit.

At least when the topic of what became the JH16 came up, when I last spoke with Jerry, he had me pretty convinced that this is not a piece for the audiophile set, and would not offer us an "upgrade" per say over the JH13 for OUR purposes. Hence the reason that despite having known about it for a while, I really could have cared less.

that was when we were living in a pre-UE18 world

• 4 months later...
I read on head-fi where JH stated in the release that they tweaked the JH16 to make the JH16 Pro after engineers supposedly said the market could use the bass increase. So, it seems that by building on the JH13 signature and the JH16, these are supposed to have crossover improvements to make the pro version.

I'm also not interested in either still, but will watch the price of the JH13 especially knowing the JH Audio with do reshelling for $75 from what I hear (which UE would not do originally for any price).

wait, really? :o

wait, really? :o

Someone I thought was trustworthy had told me that is what they were quoted, its been a while though and I can't remember who now. :confused:

EDIT: And by reshelling, I only mean changing the shell to fit your ears in case your fit changes, not change the JH13 to a JH16.