The Quad thread

postjack

I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should pull the trigger on some Quads. (dew et, I know.)

Don't fuck about. Just do it. You won't regret it.

Actually you might regret it, if you get the 11L. Because you'll sit in front of them wondering about the 12L every time you listen.

6 of the 8 over the years sounds like 1 or 2 at a time when they went bad. I'd be wary that means the 2 old ones will cop-out.

Given that Q&SD are not really close to the seller my assumption is all 6 were done at once, but I should ask. I rang Q&SD and refurbing/replacing individual panels isn't cheap. $350 per panel plus labor, which is a minimum of 3 hours. Replacing all 8 panels is $3100 including labor (I believe).

qs&d is the most expensive ESL refurbisher. nice guys, quality work, just way expensive. check out Kents pricelist at estatsolutions.com for a better feel for the market rates. I've heard great things about Wayne piquet as well.

qs&d is the most expensive ESL refurbisher. nice guys, quality work, just way expensive. check out Kents pricelist at estatsolutions.com for a better feel for the market rates. I've heard great things about Wayne piquet as well.

Lots of great info at estatsolution.com, the first I have seen with any meaningful info on serial numbers.

I have been going back and forth about whether or not to put down a deposit for the Magnepan 1.7 vs an ESL63 (even before the Audiogon ad showed up), and everything tells me go Quad since I love electrostats.

Does it seem more sensible finding a dead pair of ESL63 then getting someone to completely rebuild them? $1900 at estatsolution.com, but then you're approaching used Quad 988 prices once you take into account the used speaker cost.

The Maggie is a much bigger speaker. How big is your room?

I haven't measured it, but roughly 25'x15' dedicated listening room. I'm sold on Cardas/Barry Diament's speaker setup guide so either instance I wouldn't be sitting further than 9 feet from the speakers.

Hm, that's an interesting point you have there, of 'stat vs. quasi ribbon or magnetic planar sound. Care to explain the differences in sound?

Hmm well my experience with electrostatic speakers is limited to the Sound Lab 945 (admittedly not a fair comparison, since it is probably the Ferrari of electrostat speakers) and various Maggies.

I will say the SLs sound like real music and the clarity I heard was unbelievable. Maggies try and get close to that clarity, but never quite get there. They also lack the utmost realism with instruments. Still they fare better than any box speakers in those two areas. My interest in Maggies is I still feel they are the best value at various price points, but wouldn't mind extending my budget for Quads. I will eventually get the SLs, life is too short to not enjoy that sound on a daily basis.

Hmm well my experience with electrostatic speakers is limited to the Sound Lab 945 (admittedly not a fair comparison, since it is probably the Ferrari of electrostat speakers) and various Maggies.

I will say the SLs sound like real music and the clarity I heard was unbelievable. Maggies try and get close to that clarity, but never quite get there. They also lack the utmost realism with instruments. Still they fare better than any box speakers in those two areas. My interest in Maggies is I still feel they are the best value at various price points, but wouldn't mind extending my budget for Quads. I will eventually get the SLs, life is too short to not enjoy that sound on a daily basis.

Yeah, part of that difference is probably the different pricepoints, but I see what you mean. The pair of Maggies I was considering getting before the Acoustat Model 3s were some 2.5Rs, which apparently had to have the ribbons replaced every couple of years because it traded performance for durability (was really thin). I agree that I have been spoiled by the boxlessness and may never be able to go back. Still haven't heard any Maggies.... :palm:

The 63 has the point source thingy! Way cool.

Yay Monkey, which ones did you end up submitting an offer for?

I have been going back and forth about whether or not to get these Quad ESL 63 For Sale | AudiogoN

I have no idea how only replacing 6 of the 8 panels will affect the sound, and the good side of the brain says it's not worth it in case anything goes wrong I wouldn't be able to service them myself...

The evil side says do it :/

QS&D certainly do not look cheap. There are other Quad refurbing places on both sides of the pond that are a whole lot cheaper than that and just as good. Sheldon's Audio Designs in the US, One Thing Audio in the UK and several in Europe. The company in Germany who took over the technology from Quad (including their film stretching jig and oven) when they stopped doing repair parts charge less http://www.quad-musik.de/Quad_classics.pdf . They even supply a completely new build ESL57 pair for Euro 4500.

Craig

Any reason you're looking for the 63 as opposed to the 57?

This link might be helpful, and the site has tons of info about Quads:

GangofFive

Here's Wayne's website:

Quads Unlimited

Everything I have read leads me to believe the 63 will better suit me (more extension, and I listen to a wide variety of music). It's difficult to hear either around here.

Any recommendations for amps? My preference is for tube amps since they're easier to find than low power class A solid state and I don't want to mess with any other SS amps in case they blow up :)

Also do the protection circuits for the tweeters need to be rebuilt for the ESL63?

You can't go wrong with either Quad but I'd personally go with a 63 too just because they are easier to live with. You shouldn't need new protection boards but diodes do age and components drift so why not get a new set. Better to spend a bit here to be sure they are protected.

There are a lot of good Class A amps out there and even more amps that remain in Class A for the first few watts. Old Krell, Pass, Bedini, some of the Accuphase amps and the list goes on and on.

You can't go wrong with either Quad but I'd personally go with a 63 too just because they are easier to live with. You shouldn't need new protection boards but diodes do age and components drift so why not get a new set. Better to spend a bit here to be sure they are protected.

There are a lot of good Class A amps out there and even more amps that remain in Class A for the first few watts. Old Krell, Pass, Bedini, some of the Accuphase amps and the list goes on and on.

I will keep my eyes open. Would something like a Pass Labs Aleph 3 or Aleph 30 be enough power? I really like the sound from both of those. I was under the impression a stout 50 wpc amp would be needed that is stable into a highly variable load. Though the other benefit of staying with tube amps in my system is they are usually higher gain and I intend to keep my transformer volume control as a preamp.