The Quad thread

postjack

You might look at the powered Dynaudio studio monitors, too. I listened to a pile of sub $1000 unpowered monitors and none could really touch the less expensive Dynaudios (which were slightly more.) I found a used pair (again unpowered -- 42W's in my case) for $500 and could not be happier. (I've been listening to HD650s pretty exclusively for the last couple of months.)

I have the Adams and I really like it, its sound its very similar to the electrostatic sound but a bit more sweet. They are super detailed but never fatigate even for hours of listening, to my ears.

You can buy them from thomann as they offer a 30 days trial no questions asked and they get from time to time some B-stock(returned) with discount.

Edited by Spychedelic Whale

• 4 weeks later...

Scary lack of Quad ESL's in this thread - let's change that!

Have my 2805's spaced 2 feet from the wall - with an absorber behind the middle panels, I can't tell a difference between this distance and pulling them any further out

img20120727192133.jpg

Edited by El_Doug
  • Like 1

Kimchi is just enjoying the view out the window - I am fortunate that she never claws ANYTHING except the welcome mat. Not once has she ever attacked a chair, couch, wire/cord, or the Quads, in the 4 years I've owned her. In fact, she won't even take out her claws when jumping up on the desk to be pet, leading to a humorous slide as the momentum from her jump pushes her along.

Now I just need to do something about my 26'' TV with black levels and detail that make the Sun look like a reference for darkness...

Oh, and if anyone else wants some Quads, but their wife won't allow them to purchase such large speakers, here's my proven strategy:

Show her the Maggie 20's, and show all the excitement in the world. Once she explains how there's no way she will allow 2 meter tall speakers in the room, agree with her (making a big deal out of how you are a good husband for being willing to compromise), and suggest the "small" Quads

Oh, and if anyone else wants some Quads, but their wife won't allow them to purchase such large speakers, here's my proven strategy:

Show her the Maggie 20's, and show all the excitement in the world. Once she explains how there's no way she will allow 2 meter tall speakers in the room, agree with her (making a big deal out of how you are a good husband for being willing to compromise), and suggest the "small" Quads

Having been married, I will give you some advice: that only works once.

Speaking of cats and Quads, my cat decides to piss all over my ESL57 grills when he sneaks into the room they're in. sad.png

Is it suicidal? huh.png The rabbit I had as a kid really liked to chew the various AC cables around the house but suddenly stopped. I'm guessing it managed to bridge live and neutral and came to the conclusion this wasn't the smartest thing to do... laugh.png

Tried something similar with the hubby - no workey - he's too smart.

Is it suicidal? huh.png The rabbit I had as a kid really liked to chew the various AC cables around the house but suddenly stopped. I'm guessing it managed to bridge live and neutral and came to the conclusion this wasn't the smartest thing to do... laugh.png

Apparently my brother lost his 1 year old dog to chewing a 220v supply line last week. Was a sweet dog too :(

• 2 months later...

Just picked up a pair of 12l Active's.

I excite!

Borat_thumbs_up.jpg

They will be paired with my Ayre QB-9, which currently serves as my KGSS/SR-007 source. Is there a noticeable difference in running these in single-ended vs. balanced? My plan is to use the SE connection on the Ayre for the 12L's while keeping the balanced for the KGSS.

Edited by rogue

• 1 month later...

Get them away from that back wall ASAP!!!

Will do - this was just to do a test listen, post restoration (done by the excellent Sheldon Stokes).

Very nice. IIRC you were a Lenco guy as well?

Thanks. I'm actually a Thorens guy, but only because circumstances provided me with a TD-124 at an unbelievable price. I imagine I would be equally happy with a Lenco.

• 2 years later...

This is my first post on headcase so please let me know if I miss anything.

I own a pair of ELS-63 whose EHT boards could do with upgrading.

I have most of the components (3KV caps and GP04 diodes, resistors etc. ) but the only component which I am unsure about is the VDR (Varistor).  The schematic does not give the values.....

So, does anyone know the VDR ratings i.e. breakdown voltage, current rating etc?

The original VDR is axial and colour coded Blue-Black.  The replacements are usually blue Disk Types.

If anyone knows the rating or replacement part numbers please let me know....

Thanks

• 2 months later...

This is my first post on headcase so please let me know if I miss anything.

I own a pair of ELS-63 whose EHT boards could do with upgrading.

I have most of the components (3KV caps and GP04 diodes, resistors etc. ) but the only component which I am unsure about is the VDR (Varistor).  The schematic does not give the values.....

So, does anyone know the VDR ratings i.e. breakdown voltage, current rating etc?

The original VDR is axial and colour coded Blue-Black.  The replacements are usually blue Disk Types.

If anyone knows the rating or replacement part numbers please let me know....

Thanks

You're one stop shop in the UK is One Thing Audio.  The One Thing they do is repair parts, including rebuilt panels, for Quad ESL's.

http://www.onethingaudio.org/products.htmlnear Coventry.  

• 7 months later...