The Quad thread

postjack

4 hours ago, mypasswordis said:

Sad to hear about the ESL63s, what did you end up doing with them? My Acoustats are still going strong without any tinkering, which is honestly pretty surprising. Hvordan har du det?

Alt vel her ;)

After rebuilding them for the hundredth time i stuck them in the attic, awaiting the day someone invents a dependable DIY tensioning rig.

2 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Nice looking set up.  Quad power amps - don't recognise the deck - a Linn?

And what is the pile of stuff behind the left speaker?  Sub amp and mains regenerator?

The deck is a Luxman pd 272.

I mostly listen to music through itunes nowadays, so it's mainly there to make the setup seem more classy.

The big pile of stuff is the rest of the amps and boxes running the speakers.

a Sumo Andromeda for the Bass, Holton NXV300 monoblocks for the mids, Quad II for the tweeters, rotel RB1510 for the sub, aaaand a minidsp 4x10HD to tie it all together.

the Andromeda is getting replaced by a NXV500, but i am just too lazy to build it right now.

Got too many projects, and Dark souls III just came out!

On 2.5.2016 at 2:01 AM, mypasswordis said:

Glad for å høre det. Din profil pic er kjempebra. :)

Tweaking orthos is a lot easier than tensioning large esl diaphragms evenly, maybe go back go that in the meantime. I still have felt from the group buy and SFI tweeters from another group buy!

I just did some house cleaning the other day, and found my box full of floats, old orthos, SFI's and fine italian artisanal felt squares.

Seeing them all dusty and forgotten in that box made me feel slightly bad.

I've been using my old T20v2 pretty much exclusively for years now, since i mainly use headphones at work.

Guess it's time to get a new amp and pull some old phones out of the box :rolleyes:

Haha, how did you like the fine artisanal italian felt? Should have picked up more special italian felt when i was in italia the past summer. I believe I have a puck of the moorbrook in my t20v2. Like with some other headphones there is a bass heavy and bass light version. I think I have owned 4 t20v2s, two of which are bass heavy and two bass light. The bass heavy ones are too hard to mod because you need to stack special felt squares to the moon to get rid of bass hump and then they sound peaky and wrong. One layer, maybe two of felt and some foam is enough for the bass light version.

One day the plan is to refurb my PS2 jecklins and build a KGTOGTE amp at 650v rails for them. Then build something at a few kilovolts for the acoustats.

To be honest i can't even remember what's going on inside the different phones, but i think most of them are filled with some kind of bitumen, italian fancy felt, and tiny tape squares. :lol:

I often think of commissioning someone to build me a proper amp for my ps2 Floats, but they are just so damn uncomfortable i always discard the thought after using them for an extended period. still love them though ;)

• 11 months later...

I finally got the Spider legs for my ESL57's and after some boiled linseed oil and lacquer, they were installed yesterday:

20170415_155711467_iOS.thumb.jpg.1b8851774573bbc1641b94fca4690d98.jpg

It has changed the sound quite a bit but it mostly makes them easier to live with such as cleaning underneath them and stuff like that.  The panels are 49 years old at this point so the SQ is suspect but they play amazingly well for their age.  Perfect balance with no noise or arcing at all.  Next step will be to replace the panels, paint them and have the covers re-anodized black. 

• Like 9

On 5/4/2016 at 1:06 PM, bjarnetv said:

I often think of commissioning someone to build me a proper amp for my ps2 Floats, but they are just so damn uncomfortable i always discard the thought after using them for an extended period. still love them though ;)

Jecklins uncomfortable - how come? If you want uncomfortable then its Grados or Audeze!

1 hour ago, spritzer said:

I finally got the Spider legs for my ESL57's and after some boiled linseed oil and lacquer, they were installed yesterday:

20170415_155711467_iOS.thumb.jpg.1b8851774573bbc1641b94fca4690d98.jpg

It has changed the sound quite a bit but it mostly makes them easier to live with such as cleaning underneath them and stuff like that.  The panels are 49 years old at this point so the SQ is suspect but they play amazingly well for their age.  Perfect balance with no noise or arcing at all.  Next step will be to replace the panels, paint them and have the covers re-anodized black. 

Lovely Birgir - Peter Walker would be proud!

Are these the Quad Musik style frames?

1 hour ago, Grahame said:

They match the floor / decor !

Hehe yeah, long live stark nordic styling...  ;) 

1 hour ago, complin said:

Lovely Birgir - Peter Walker would be proud!

Are these the Quad Musik style frames?

Not sure who came up with these but a guy in Holland was installing these on his rebuilds and I liked the look.  It's also a good idea to raise any Quad's off the ground so why not.  :)

Yeah...Thoranna just had to have that one on Staten Island after the first ferry trip...  :D

Btw. The black pile next to the statue are the custom Quad covers I had made in Russia.  Nicely made and fit perfectly over the speakers to block out the sunlight should it get through the curtains...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spritzer said:

They are but the thick mats are in place on the back of the drivers so they help.  They are about as far into the room as I dare (roughly 1m) before I might be susceptible to some spousal abuse...  ;)

AH the W A F !! (wife acceptance factor) 

Like keeping your workbench clean and tidy :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, spritzer said:
5 hours ago, spritzer said:

They are but the thick mats are in place on the back of the drivers so they help.  They are about as far into the room as I dare (roughly 1m) before I might be susceptible to some spousal abuse...  ;)

One way around that is to pull them out when you're listening and put them back when you're done.

• 5 months later...

Hello Guys,

I have to ask for your consultance about Quad ESL 2095's

I've bought Quad ESL 2095. I chose modded Quad QC-Twentyfour as preamplifier.  And I'm in between 3 power amplifiers:

Quad Elite Monoblocks

Quad II-Forty Monoblocks

Quad II-Classic Monoblocks

I'm going to listen them all on wednesday but I want to consult you first.

I'm really newbie about speakers. Sorry If it's not the place.

I would personally go with pure Class A amps.  None of the Quad stuff interests me at all and the build quality on the Elite stuff is shockingly bad.  One of them has the output transistors on wires going all the way across the chassis as the heatsink on the other side wasn't big enough. 

• Thanks 1

On 03.10.2017 at 12:59 AM, spritzer said:

I would personally go with pure Class A amps.  None of the Quad stuff interests me at all and the build quality on the Elite stuff is shockingly bad.  One of them has the output transistors on wires going all the way across the chassis as the heatsink on the other side wasn't big enough. 

Thanks for answer Birgir. I've listened to them with some power amps and I went with forties.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Guys anyone has any info about Pathos Inpol 2? Or all inpol series? I really like their look and also going to demo them. How does pathos amplifiers get along with Quad electrostatics?

Another reason is I want to get a integrated amp, 1 preamp + 2 monoblocks take so much space. I recently got a oldstep enhance phono and I cannot use it cuz of space problems.

I'll upload the pictures of my system too. :)