Chrome 4 (Stable) - Now for windows!

• 4 months later...
I installed Chrome today and mother eff it's fast.

yup changed to chrome from ff the other day due to ff randomly crashing and man theres a huge difference.

only thing I dont like is that the ff adblock works way better than the adblock/adsweep/adthwart on chrome

Yeah, there are things that I don't like about Chrome, e.g. no way to clear browsing history without clearing cookies too. So for now it's an experiment but I hope they continue to work on it as FF has gotten pretty slow.

Have you tried chromeplus? a lot of chrome features without the google checking out what you're doing, also that clear browsing history you mentioned works the same way as the one in firefox

also that clear browsing history you mentioned works the same way as the one in firefox

Based on what I read I don't think it does. Clearing cookes, to me, would mean that on a forum like this if I visited twice in a day Chrome would not remember what posts I had previously read whereas FireFox does without remembering that I visited the site (in History).

I switched to Chrome but I switch back to FF now because I actually found Chrome is slower after hours of use with 20+ tabs opened and it doesn't let me open/close tabs when currently opened tabs are loading.

Chrome doesn't allow the use of Ctrl+B for bold tag " or Ctrl+I for italic tag " which are essential for forum posting :(

Based on what I read I don't think it does. Clearing cookes, to me, would mean that on a forum like this if I visited twice in a day Chrome would not remember what posts I had previously read whereas FireFox does without remembering that I visited the site (in History).

in chromeplus you can clear either the browsing history or the cookies or both, if I were to clear my cookies, I would have to log back in, but the browser would remember the posts that I've already visited.

you can do that on regular chrome? little wrench button + options + under the hood + clear browsing data + unclick what you dont want to clear.

I still have a large problem with both CPU and memory leakage on FF, is that also or more of a case with Chrome?

thats one of the reasons i went away from ff. chrome seems to not leak memory for me

you can do that on regular chrome? little wrench button + options + under the hood + clear browsing data + unclick what you dont want to clear.

I don't know what version you're using but all I did was download it from Google yesterday and this is what my "options" look like for clearing data automatically.

n_maher-albums-random-stuff-picture3185-chrome.jpg

I only see one choice, clear history and cookies or don't when I close the browser. What you're talking about is being able to manually go in whenever you want and clear selective things, which is totally different. I want it to automatically purge my history every time I close the browser but I don't want to lose every cookie I have at the same time.

I want it to automatically purge my history every time I close the browser but I don't want to lose every cookie I have at the same time.

ahh, you might need an extension for that(session manager or something), didn't understand what you meant before

I don't know what version you're using but all I did was download it from Google yesterday and this is what my "options" look like for clearing data automatically.

I only see one choice, clear history and cookies or don't when I close the browser. What you're talking about is being able to manually go in whenever you want and clear selective things, which is totally different. I want it to automatically purge my history every time I close the browser but I don't want to lose every cookie I have at the same time.

If you don't mind installing extensions, check out the Click&clean extension

clickcleanchromeoptions.png

It lets you set the same options as manually going in and clear selective things, except you can enable it to do so when you close the browser.

I'm using 5.0.375.55

and I'm seeing

Nate's point was that it won't automatically do that every time you close the browser, the only option for on-browser-close is all or nothing. The only built-in way to selectively clear items is using that interface and clicking the button which is a bit less convenient than having it do it automatically on browser close. Hence the link to click&clean ;)

I'm pretty sure the whole point of Chrome putting each tab as a separate process is so proper garbage collection can be done when you close the tab, but it's annoying as hell when you're trying to kill specific tabs that aren't working properly in Task Manager or whatever and all you see is a wall of chrome.exes.

But yeah, memory leakage is basically when the programmers don't know how to properly garbage collect and so there's random crap that builds up in memory over time. For some reason Firefox easily goes above 500mb even with less than 10 tabs open for me, and it sucks processing power too.