Chrome 4 (Stable) - Now for windows!

I'm pretty sure the whole point of Chrome putting each tab as a separate process is so proper garbage collection can be done when you close the tab, but it's annoying as hell when you're trying to kill specific tabs that aren't working properly in Task Manager or whatever and all you see is a wall of chrome.exes.

Behold the beauty of the chrome task manager:

chrometask.png

Just hit shift-esc to pop it up and then you can easily tell which process is what.

Memory leak is when a process keeps eating more and more ram as time goes on, basically it leaks memory.

Allocates memory and never releases it. Firefox has gotten pretty damn bad about this, especially for those of us who never close their browsers. Using mainly chrome now, since firefox went horribly flaky on me a week ago. Like it, except for tab overflow handling.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using Windows 7 for a few weeks now. It's okay, other than the fact that I'm getting blue screens. Which I almost never got with XP, which is what I was using before. Used Vista for a couple of weeks, then upgraded back to XP. Might do the same with Windows 7.

Anyway, the point of my post here is that Firefox seems to be a lot better about memory management in 7 than in XP, for whatever reason. Haven't yet tried Chrome.

I actually just installed 3.6.4.:) I assume they mean crashing the browser and not the computer? Firefox itself hasn't crashed on me yet, on 7. The hang detector will definitely come in handy. I'm wondering if there is an incompatible driver installed, or if the stock memory is a bit flaky, in regards to the blue screens.

And thanks, I installed Chrome 5 but just haven't gotten around to using it. Though I have just now, and just enabled the saving the tabs feature. It does seem faster than FF.

Drivers can be an issue, I assumed 7 would install all drivers for my laptop but it didn't. I almost had blue screen everyday until I installed all updated drivers for 7. No more blue screen after updating all drivers and I really think 7 is the best version of Windows.

Still having blue screens, can't easily guess which driver may be causing problems since the crashes are seemingly completely random.

Chrome 5 sucks, it doesn't load the page properly half the time, can't load wikipedia links just because there is no http:// in front, is a huge memory hog, I'm still pissed there's a wall of chrome.exe's in Task Manager, and it's not even that fast. Viewing page source is also weird.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...