Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

I found a few push button switches rated for 125VAC at ~3A but they were all momentary. Think I'm giving up on this idea though because almost no one seems to make latching versions.

I'll stick with buying a replacement for the switch already in there, but many thanks for the advice.

I have a question about hole saws.

I am looking into buying a 5 1/2" hole saw to make armboards for my turntable.

I am curious how these things are measured. The hole for the arm board is EXACTLY 5.5", the Technics armboard measures 5.469" and I would not mind if it were a tiny bit looser, but it cant be 5 1/4" because then it the mounting screws will be too close to the edge

So how are holesaws measured? Ar ethey the diameter of the hole (which would leave the puck smaller) or the diameter of the puck? or the average?

I have a question about hole saws.

I am looking into buying a 5 1/2" hole saw to make armboards for my turntable.

I am curious how these things are measured. The hole for the arm board is EXACTLY 5.5", the Technics armboard measures 5.469" and I would not mind if it were a tiny bit looser, but it cant be 5 1/4" because then it the mounting screws will be too close to the edge

So how are holesaws measured? Ar ethey the diameter of the hole (which would leave the puck smaller) or the diameter of the puck? or the average?

Generally, they are spec'd by the hole they leave behind but I wouldn't count on any more than half a tenth +/- of accuracy.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have a suggestion on finding a top loading, internal, sata, dvd rom or burner that could be used in a custom computer case? There are plenty of external dvd burners, but I am not sure how easy it would be to incorporate one into a different case. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Microchip's funny like that; they're known for their PIC's, but also manufacture IC's for most PIC applications. They're really great for well-documented standalone interface chips--I'm a huge fan of their ethernet controllers.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank for posting that Lil Knight.

And thanks to Pars for posting the diya alternative a while back when I was building my KGSSHV.

I was going through them suckers like water when I was in my "blowing up the psu" stage. he-he!

Saved a fist full of bucks then and now while gathering sand for the T2.

• 1 month later...

I may be using an H bridge driver sometime in the near future and what I'm looking at now is made by ST in some weird proprietary MultiPowerSO-30 package. Is there some sort of PCB adapter I can buy to solder on and connect to some large header so I can do some prototyping? Or would I have to lay out my own.

Also, kind of random but is it possible to buy large aluminium heatsinks with a bunch of transistor mount holes pre-drilled in them?

The issue with that package is the three heat slugs under the chip. Depending on your thermal requirements, a custom breakout PCB is really needed.

You can find surplus heat sinks with pre-tapped holes, check out EBay. Nothing new-stock though. You could look into some of the clip designs though, or using a single bar to apply pressure to a number of devices at once... Plenty of ways to get creative here.

Edited by luvdunhill