Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I might case up the damn thing in the following week if I manage to CAD draw the panels- however one niggle remains. I know that some of you are using relay based stepped attenuators- do you connect the ground (I prefer the term- common wire) of the controller board somewhere? I get 50Hz hum if I don't connect it to the PSU common wire.

Btw, I keep hearing that the signal common wire should be separated from safety or power grounds. More than one way of skinning a cat?

• 1 month later...

I bought 50 pairs of 2sj74 and 2sk170 from bdent. I got 11 matched quads within 0.2mA. I still have 28 of 2sj74s left. I'm wondering if anyone has extra 2sk170s with idss between 6.5mA and 7.8mA. I only need 10 matched quad sets. I'm going to sell the extra sets for $10/each shipped ConUS with postage (that's if I'm able to get those 170s for reasonable price.) Drop me a PM if you can help. Thanks. smile.png

FETAudio is legit. I've bought from Spencer on a couple occasions. Great communication and fast shipping (well, at least as fast as it can come from Hong Kong). The parts appear to be exactly as they are advertised.

You can get additional references over on DIYAudio. Lot's of threads on the topic. Spencer posts there as well, however, PM's or the sales link (hotmail account) on FETAudio work best for getting ahold of him.

The one from bdent is real the one from MCM is not. The datasheet has specificly drawn out the package, but apparently the forger decided that all TO-126 look alike so didn't bother with with it. The hfe is actually within the specified range, but breakdown voltage isn't. Don't have equipments to test other parameters. Could've definately fooled me if they faked the package correctly...

Does anyone know of a diy solution to power conditioning?  The reason I ask is that the power where I live is not very consistent.  Line voltage varies from115v-125v and I don't know if there is ever an actual 60hz cycle going on.  I would like to build something that I could have a constant and reliable voltage coming out of for my audio gear.  I did not think that it made that much difference but when it starts to fluctuate my dac acts a little weird and loses lock and my cd transport does not read the toc.  It is very annoying and I want to fix the problem without having to buy one of the $4K units I see advertised in the magazines.  Can anyone help with this?

Edited by c12mech