Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

anyone knows what happened to bdent? Why did they switch from the totally clean and straightforward site to the current messy and ugly site? in addition, the search function doesn't seem to work for me and my account is gone (deleted?) Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

EDIT: also... I don't see quantity discount anymore... did bdent get taken over by another company??

Edited by jwzhan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sourcing parts for a off-board KGSSHV...

Most has gone well however unfortunately I have some questions...

2SC4686A by Toshiba, previously stocked by Mouser... Only place I found it was BDent, and at 4x the cost. Instead of 1,05USD its 4,25. Is it the same part?

2SC2705 by Toshibs, previously stocked by Mouser. Neither they, nor Bdent, not Farnell stock them. Any tips?

Z4KE130A-E3 by Vishay. Can't find it stocked anywhere. Tips? Is it replaceable with this one from Digikey? CZRA5952B-G

Otherwise I'm pretty much set for populating the board. Gotta start somewhere... Then worry about the case etc..

Thx!

Bdent is just more expensive but the part is out of production so it's not going to get any cheaper.  No sub available with the same or better specs. 

I can help you with 2705's as I have a bag full of them and any 130V zener will work.  I got some from Mouser recently but don't remember the partnumber...

Bdent is just more expensive but the part is out of production so it's not going to get any cheaper.  No sub available with the same or better specs. 

I can help you with 2705's as I have a bag full of them and any 130V zener will work.  I got some from Mouser recently but don't remember the partnumber...

Thanks dear Nordic comrade!

1) Does it have to be 1,5 W 5%? Can't find a single one on Mouser with that spec...

2) You don't happen to have 2 LSK389 too? It's a shame ordering just 2 transistors from all over the Atlantic.

/Valentin (Sweden)

Any 130V zener will do, any wattage and tolerance will do.  I should have some LSK389's but I'd have to check.  Just shoot me a PM so I won't forget. 

Now it's time to patch up this nasty cut I got while drilling the front panel for the newest amp...  :mikey2:

Any 130V zener will do, any wattage and tolerance will do.  I should have some LSK389's but I'd have to check.  Just shoot me a PM so I won't forget. 

Now it's time to patch up this nasty cut I got while drilling the front panel for the newest amp...  :mikey2:

Thx for the clarification!

Let me know if you need some stiches! ;)

those 4686 parts are gone already?! damn they went fast.... luckily I have enough of them as spares...

and 2705 too? I barely have enough to build a balanced Dynahi.. need to stock pile all the parts I can get my hands on... this is just crazy..

I too have gone abit paranoid about not being able to get parts and have lately been doing some search. Ebay has lots of parts that come up from time to time but I am not really sure if they are real and if fake, their specs are ok and can be used.

I am constantly thinking that I will need parts to do the builds and also I must have extra parts if things go wrong or for future repairs. If I can't get the parts then I am screwed. The search for the silicon "gold" continues.

Edited by Victor Chew

Any tips on a novice soldering station? The ones on Mouser and Digikey start at almost 150€...
Is it just me or why are they so damn expensive? I mean.. It's a warm and thin metal pen?

Is this one acceptable: http://www.conrad.se/L%d6DSTATION-ST50-D-DIGITAL-50-W.htm?websale7=conrad-swe&pi=588888&ci=SHOP_AREA_17589_1508030

And a question on a multimeter that will have the range needed for measuring the KGSSHV...

http://www.conrad.se/websale7/?Ctx=%7bver%2f7%2fver%7d%7bst%2f3ec%2fst%7d%7bcmd%2f0%2fcmd%7d%7bm%2fwebsale%2fm%7d%7bs%2fconrad-swe%2fs%7d%7bl%2f01-aa%2fl%7d%7bp1%2f8bf3f2d57f98b1da0791d7b63972c42b%2fp1%7d%7bmd5%2fc3eb314da460e95ef1c0e90a0859c419%2fmd5%7d&act=product&prod_index=122900&cat_index=SHOP_AREA_17622_1101010&otp1=tablink2

I'm guessing that:

0,1 mV – 600 V both ~V/-V

1 pF – 50 µF

0,1 µA – 10 A both ~C/-C

0,1 Ω – 40 MOhm

is enough?

The cheap stuff really isn't good enough for high voltage.  You can get away with a cheap meter but a Fluke would be a far better buy.  They last for a long time as well. 

For soldering, I've got two of the cheapest stations Conrad offers (they are also sold here) and they are ok but something like my OKI stations is far, far nicer. 

just don't get the Fluke's base model, because those meters' input impedance is too damn low.

I have a cheap $50 Weller station.. it doesn't have enough juice for soldering heatsinks from time to time, but other than that it served all my need..

A solder station with Temp feedback and control would be much nicer for a novice builder, because guess the best Temp for solder can be a little difficult...