Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

Here is the link again.

I'm planning to close the GB next weekend. There haven't been a whole lot of people asking me yet, but it's fine, since Satodenki doesn't have minimum order requirement or high quantity discount.

Just remember tho, this is going to be the only GB I'll do for you guys, so take advantage of it while you can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bdent seems to have finally gotten their shit together. The server is still slower than what it used to be but at least the search function seems to be fully functional and the quantity discount is back. My account tho, is still in the wind. I don't imagine they will ever restore those data now; however, they have 15% discount for new customers, maybe I'm qualified for it?

I need a couple of 4-40 by 3/8 (ish) screws for a project, anyone have a couple that I could buy?  I'd rather not drop $70 on a bag of 100 right now.

Depending on the material, you can get a pack of 100 of these from McMaster for as low as $1.49. Unless I am missing something.

I am sure I have piles of them, but they are still in boxes. If nobody else has some, I'll send some in a few days.

Hi guys,

can anyone recommend a small (suitable for transportable chassis) single deck (preferrably sealed) reasonable quality, and rugged potentiometer model? 5kΩ or perhaps 10KΩ (I can just parallel a fixed R). I can deal with stereo if need be and just wire it up mono, but it needs to be smallish and reliable. it doesnt nessecarily have to be amazingly linear, as its used for controlling ESS digital volume; so just attenuates a 3.3VDC voltage which is sent to an ADC/MCU. the ones I have been using are just too flimsy and exposed and when contact starts to falter and resistance gets screwy, instead of losing volume like in a normal analogue setup, I get bursts of full volume!

the ESS is directly connected to an internal balanced combo IV/headamp... as you can imagine through my jh13, full volume isnt good!! format is not a huge deal, i'll probably do myself another PCB to suit, but it needs to fit within say 10-18mm vertical height and standard ~6mm shaft to suit my Titanium knob :wub: . I live a stones throw from the Beach here, so sealed is definitely desireable. ive gone through 2 of these in the last year of use and i'm onto my last one after the 2nd started dying yesterday

perhaps Justin may have something suitable? are the Alps RK series still the way to go? something like RK09Y11L0001 perhaps? anyone have any experience with these or other recommendations? can anyone recommend a source for them for just a few pieces? the more suitable parts seem only available wholesale.

thanks in advance for any help with selection and sourcing :sherwood:

sorry for the long post

Jeremy

Edited by qusp

Probably a little big (19.7mm) but I found this pot exceptionally good, using it with the ess volume as well. Very smooth action, I’m using a hefty 40mm dact knob, feels amazing.

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay/PE30L0FL103MAB/?qs=/ha2pyFaduiNVN97hyKZaXQqQaLD/cP0gzoykKHtOU7g4/n9rOQ8TQ==

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/427/pe30-240032.pdf

much abliged John, cant ask for more relevent experience than that! and i'm glad you mentioned the feel as well, it was something I meant to specify, since it still needs to be tactile.

it might just work, any chance I could file 0.5mm off top and bottom without riuning the integrity of the encapsulation/Can? it does save just a little by being panel mount, I need another excuse to do a board revision with new regs and with the amp on the same PCB anyway after a year now, might even do some inputs for an Amanero, as I use this also in the office for watching iview and SBS online with some active monitors. i've been meaning to make a new front panel with a couple seeed/itead PCBs now they do custom routing and then mount all the indication LEDs as SMD and use a frosted perspex false panel in front of that. the proof of concept worked well for the last 12 months or so, so its time to get it into a final format.

pricing isnt too bad on that unit either, looks good quality. smaller would be better, but its a good back up. has anyone else got any recommendations? I will have to file a flat on there for the knob grub screw.

thanks again mate!

Jeremy

Edited by qusp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glass Jar Audio Jeff Rossel?  He's slow as hell.  Amazing that someone with such poor customer service continues to have customers.   He will get you your product, and whatever you are ordering will be just fine.  You'll just have to wait.  

Edited by bhjazz

Suggestions for a solder pot?  I just found a few rolls of Cardas wire in a box o' parts, but the strands are all enamel coated.  I know I can do this with a solder iron, but a solder pot seems like it would be much faster.  Do I really need temperature control?  This one at Amazon seems fine, but I'd rather the cost were below that somehow magic $100 mark.  

Many thanks.

Glass Jar Audio Jeff Rossel?  He's slow as hell.  Amazing that someone with such poor customer service continues to have customers.   He will get you your product, and whatever you are ordering will be just fine.  You'll just have to wait.  

Yeah, I just received his reply 2 days ago. He's really busy that what he told in the message. Now I just wondering whether I should source all the parts by myself and the time of waiting is really killing me, rather than Jeff takes ages for him to reply and ship it out. Too too too slow for him..... :chair:

• 2 weeks later...

actually way more expensive. i used to pay under $2 for 2SJ109. if only i had been rich i would have bought enough to retire on them.  my last buy of 2SJ74s was maybe 50-70 cents each

at this rate people will be buying Gilmore Lites just to pull the 2sk389 and 2sj109s

Edited by justin