Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

Does McMaster-Carr stock something like this panel bushing for 1/4" shafts

Strong recommendation to make a bushing from Delron instead of steel or aluminum. Or at least use a Delron rod.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-acetal-homopolymer-rods

I have used Delrin rods on 2 different builds and have been very happy with the results.  Electrical isolation is my main reason for use but cost and easier machining also weigh in.

Me

Does it slip when you turn it?  I'm using it to turn the shaft of a volume control and goldpoint switch.  The knob will be collet mount and the shaft coupler is a clamping style

If what you mean by 'slipping' is a feeling of flex in the rods while turning, it depends.  On both a M3 build and an Aikido (picture below) there is no feel of flex when turning normally.  However, when going past the limits of the switches/volume control you can feel some flex.   The M3 has less flex than the Aikido due to it having shorter shafting, but not by much. I plan on using the same shafting when I finish casing my KSA4.

Me

post-4368-0-64338800-1414235198_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

On the topic of potentiometers: does anyone know where to get a decent audio taper one with a 25mm/1" shaft? I'm restoring a McIntosh unit with two mono Alps pots and the original part was discontinued. I tried replacing the original pot's deck, but that didn't go so well. Flatted/D would be ideal but I can always file a round shaft down. Best bet so far is probably to just use one of two decks on a stereo rk27.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried but I think I have tin ears. :) There really isn't a good way to quickly swap out a high voltage supply without building some complicated rig, and the amps where I've tried it already had high supply rejection. I've always justified it to myself based on longevity and an aversion to series connected caps, for a relatively small increase in price now that everyone's releasing big DC link caps.

E: I think Frank Cooter has a few posts about switching to film caps for B+ to good effect in his single-feed designs.

Edited by PretentiousFood

I recently did some comparisons of PS caps on the output of a regulator in a differential tube amp. Just by ear, I thought the DC links (not sure which brand I used) worked about as well as the ASC motor runs, some Mundorf M-Tube caps, and a bunch of other expensive film caps. They were better than electrolytics, but decidedly worse than the Multicap RTX which were by far the best option I tried.