Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

http://www.elma.com/en-eu/products/rotary-switches/audio-solutions/product-pages/a47-series-audio-attenuator-detail/

http://switch-products.shallco.com/item/rotary-switches/rotary-switches-industrial-and-military-grade/114-fm

My experience is that the people at Elma are super nice and helpful. The people at Shallco are not. And I have been told from reputable people to expect to disassembled the Shallco to try to get it to align correctly.

Am in need of sourcing some 340mm x 165mm single flanged or flat back heatsinks (and I'll get my own custom L plates made to house the dozen or so T03 output transistors) that is capable of dissipitating 300watts peak of thermal output heat. 

Conrad Heatsinks located down here in Aus in my state doesn't seem to be contactable as I've sent two emails and no reply.

Any further heap is greatly appreciated as I'm desperate to get this power amp going. (One of the fins broken off, so either new alu sinks or somehow grind and finish the broken bit off).

Thanks

Conrad Heatsinks located down here in Aus in my state doesn't seem to be contactable as I've sent two emails and no reply.

I had Conrad fail to respond to emails a few months ago. Once they finally did, they were very apologetic and offered me a big discount. I think someone there is just disorganized, so I'd try again.

Not your exact size, but HeatsinkUSA might be an option.

I had Fischer make some 350*150mm sinks for me recently.  I also have some Conrad from a group buy on DIYA years back.  I'll have to find them and measure the exact dimensions. 

I believe the DIYA GB ones were Conrads 350mm profile in 151.5 (6") length - at least the two Conrad GBs I recall seeing.

//UFN

Edited by UFN

Anyone know a good place to buy iec punches stateside? Are they easier to work with than "grinding it out" with a drill press?

Just curious, what is your process? You might enjoy Morgan Jones' "Building Tube Amplifiers" as he goes though a lot of things that even an experienced circle hole cutter tech might be able to learn from.

Spoiler: he answers your question

Just curious, what is your process? You might enjoy Morgan Jones' "Building Tube Amplifiers" as he goes though a lot of things that even an experienced circle hole cutter tech might be able to learn from.

Spoiler: he answers your question

Thanks for reminding me I purchased that book during some o'reilly sale. He only mentions Greenlee as a supplier of these

I've been bs-ing shapes by drilling holes to approximate things, then filing the rest out with a dremel. 

Step drill bit for XLR holes. I don't know about everyone else but I've been finding them pretty annoying to work with lately.

I saw Spritzer's pics of a broken punch and I figured I'd give it a shot.

He talks about how to cut shapes, read again, it's even complete with a progression of pictures. The example is a transformer, trapezoidal shape of sorts.

The "jeweler's saw" / "piercing saw" works wonders and it's quite simple to use.

Edit: perhaps it's only in the newest version of the book... Regardless, I already gave up the farm :)

Edited by luvdunhill

i have a whole bunch of greenlee punches from .5 inch thru 3 inches

The only way to go for chassis up to 3/16 inch thick

i even bought a square one for doing the iec sockets.

birgir can supply pictures of what happens when you try to use them on 10mm

panels

Well, my matched octet of EL84 tubes arrived today.  The first thing I did with them is run them through my Jackson 658A tester.  On initial testing, everything tested well except that on 4 of the 8 tubes, there was flashing on shorts test K (the first shorts test).

After finishing the initial test, I decided to retest the 4 failing tubes being sure to give them plenty of time to warm up.  The first 2 tubes I tried then passed shorts test K with no problem. The third tube still has a flashing problem with this test. The last tube arced when I inserted it into the tester. By arced I mean that there is an extremely bright, flashing, white light.

To be sure that my tester wasn't the problem, I reinserted a tube that originally passed shorts test K. It exhibited normal behavior including still passing test K.

So I have 1 defective for sure and 3 other suspect tubes.  I sent a message to the seller asking him to suggest a resolution to this problem.  We'll see what he says.  Do you think that I should insist on all 4 (potentially) bad tubes being replaced or just the one that arced?

I guess I need to see if JJ EL84 have a reputation for being "fragile".  At least it happened in my tester and not my amp.