Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

Hehe. In order to avoid paying $3.40@ for some Wellwyn RC55s from Mouser for the Salas phono stage I built, I lucked out on some from element14 (Newark) or somewhere where I had to buy something like 12-15 of them (one off) but got them for $1@ or something like that. Other values of the same resistor were on the order of $1.25@ or so. I just wouldn't pay that price each.

Edited by Pars

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid question. Now searching for tube socket for KGST, GG and BH.

Lot's of options. Aside from the material they are made of (bakelite, ceramic, teflon), I'm stuck at terminal type.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301444050005

https://www.ebay.com/itm/301838302161

Are these gold pins really intended to be soldered into PCB? Will solder adhere to gold plated surface?

Or better look for sockets with leaf terminals?

I´m using the same kind of socket (but I prefer bakelite). So far I have not had problems.

You can solder them to the Pcb without problem (always when you have a powerful soldering iron, about 25 / 30W).

I recommend that when you solder them to the plate, you have a valve inserted. This will keep everything aligned. 

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

the Teflon drifts a bit.

So the diameter is .716 inch and the hole size is 81th

have not found a socket that does not fit or fits tight yet.

Thank you! I'm trying to push the boundaries around spacing a pair of EL34 output tubes pretty close to each other. It seems standard minimum recommendation is spacing of 1.5 times the envelope diameter. The EL34 is 33.3mm and I'd like to space them 1" apart (2" center-to-center). What about rotating one 90 degrees of the other, or another specific orientation, as the heat dissipation patterns are directional, I'd think. Do you have any guidance on positioning, assuming I'd like to get them pretty close together - like you see on Atma-Sphere, etc? 

• 1 month later...

I have never seen any, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. I would be doubtful though - Neutrik makes the blanking plates because you can get pre-punched 19" rack panels for Neutrik D-series jacks where there may be more holes than you need and so the blanking plates are handy for keeping dust out etc.. I can't imagine many cases where there are many more IEC-holes in an enclosure than you need ?

Edited by UFN
stupid autocorrect...

^ This. Plus the Neutrik blanking panels are for a known standard jack series. I don't know if there is a standard IEC hole size (it seems that most of mine are all over the map), but that might make it more difficult to find. I know a lot of the chinese vendors on ebay, etc. all sell cases with the IEC cutout (presumably to a standard size), so perhaps someone does make some.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Pars said:

Yeah, those seem to be a problem to find right now. I don’t know that I would trust anything from eBay. How many do you need? I may have enough that I could spare some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the 16 needed for that build, would very much appreciate it if you had any to spare, let me know!

• 1 month later...

Currently sourcing parts for a KGSSHV, using  a BOM I got from spritzer (don't know who made it). Have been able to find most stuff, my main problem is the 130V zener (625-Z4KE130-E3 on mouser), the 3N254-E4/51 (currently EOL and minimum order of 120, which is more than I'll need in a lifetime probably), and the 1000pf/1000V cap. I found the 562R10TSD10 as a possible replacement for the cap, would that one be fine? For the 2 others I can't find anything that looks like a good replacement. Any help is appreciated.

• 1 month later...