Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

Anyone have an extra Alps SPUJ190900 input selector switch for a Dyna mini? Just ready to order parts and Mouser is out of them.

They do have the SPUJ1901000 in stock at 4x the price; same switch with snap in terminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT: went ahead and ordered both just in case

Perhaps a better moral question would be the horribly flawed EU lead study which resulted in ROHS. Arguably, this has contributed to millions of tons of failed consumer electronics clogging landfills. The US military still does not allow lead-free in its equipment, and I don't use the crap either.

?

I am still in the process of sourcing for a KGSSHV Carbon build. Unfortunately I was send one wrong board and I can´t reach the seller any more ?

So, if anyone has a KG SiC PSU PCB in Landscape with +15V -15V -400V I am happy for your PM. Additionally if anyone needs a +400V + Bias PSU, feel free to contact me.

Edit: I got an 8 Dollar coupon at JLPCB so I thougth paying 8,50 dollar for 5 PCBs is probably worth it. 

So I will give away 4 of the +-15V -400V PCBs for cost of shipping. I am located in Germany.

• 6 months later...

In case this is of interest to anyone.

Took me a while to find it: Kester 44 Sn62Pb36Ag2 (2% silver eutectic) solder in .025"/.6mm diameter.  Very good price too - $55.18USD in 1lb spool. Typically found them at over $100 USD with 25 minimum order.

Vendor is Concorde Electronics, part # 24-7150-0018.  https://www.concorde-electronics.com/products/kester-24-7150-0018.html

Bad news - shipping is $12.26 USD, good news - fast shipping. Got it in 4 days.

I set out looking for the one in .02"/.5mm diameter (24-7150-0010) and finally found it at R.S. Hughes with no minimum order and less than $100 USD. Only to be told a few weeks after placing my order that they do not have it in stock. 

EDIT: I found this .025"/0.6mm diameter solder to be a good compromise between soldering of through-hole components and SMD. It works well for most SMD except those really tiny ones which I still prefer the .02"/0.5mm diameter. But the .02"/0.5mm diameter solder is a bit too small for through hole component soldering. 

Kester 44 solder.JPG

Edited by mwl168
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for some help/advice on replacing the primary choke in the Menace TC power supply. It's currently an open frame Triad, model C14X (6H/200mA/150ohm) and I'd like something that better matches the electraprint output transformers from an aesthetic perspective.  The logical answer is a Hammond something from the 193 series of enclosed/potted chokes and the closest that I can find is the 193H (5H/200mA/63ohm) but that's obviously not that close with both resistance and inductance being different.  I'm wondering if the 193J wouldn't be the better choice as more filtering and less voltage drop shouldn't upset things too much. I don't have the ability any more to model this so I'm looking to the folks here to help sanity check my choice. I looked around for other possible alternates and I'm not seeing much short of simply having Electraprint build one, which doesn't looking all that expensive.

The difference between 5H and 6H almost certainly won't be noticed. You can add a 90R resistor in series if you need to make up for the voltage drop, but again, it is difficult to imagine that making much difference. The J is probably an upgrade, so all things equal, I'd use that one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone know of a supplier for old school push button power switches?

I'm looking for something like the one below. They were everywhere on 70's Japanese consumer electronics. Sansui, Marantz, Kenwood. These latched on-off. Press to turn on. Press again to turn off. You pressed them in about 5 - 10 mm (half-inch) and usually had round aluminum buttons.

I still see these used in some new (typically high end) audio gear. But can't find anything at Mouser, Digikey, Arrow, etc.

pushbutton.jpg

Yup, got tired of the illuminated anti-vandal switches that we usually use. 

Those look like the type of switch I had in mind. Can I ask where you found them?

edit: Looks like Mouser and probably others have them. I didn't recognize the switches without the buttons (caps sold separately).

How smooth does the model in your photo feel when you press the button?

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Fitz you're the second person I've heard of (recently) who have had failure of Fluke multimeter input jacks.

It's actually a years old intermittent connection that's gotten worse over time, and I'm tired of having to press/wiggle the plugs to get it to work. This meters been treated pretty rough, so I'm not that surprised by it. It was the one I used in the field, so it got banged around six ways to Sunday.

Edited by Fitz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

Does anyone know of a PCB Mount four conductor jack (2.5mm or 3.5mm is fine) with a panel bushing? Either TH or SMD is fine. Don't need any switched pins. Having trouble finding one and figured this would be a pretty standard part...

the nearest i can find has no thread for panel mounting but is 3.5mm 4 pole, no switching.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Kycon/STX-35331-4N-TR?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvlX3nhDDO4ANdBTK25DNHDLDgQvn584hU%3D

is a 3.5mm socket, 4 pole (3 signals + ground) smd (the picture shows a thread for panel mounting but the datasheet says no thread)... The datasheet implies there may be a variant with a thread but the STX-35331-4N-TR   4N is 4 pole No thread...

datasheet: https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/222/STX35331-334673.pdf

disclaimer I have not actually used one of these, I just did a mouser search and this might fit your needs.

Edited by jamesmking

the nearest i can find has no thread for panel mounting but is 3.5mm 4 pole, no switching.
https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Kycon/STX-35331-4N-TR?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvlX3nhDDO4ANdBTK25DNHDLDgQvn584hU%3D
is a 3.5mm socket, 4 pole (3 signals + ground) smd (the picture shows a thread for panel mounting but the datasheet says no thread)... The datasheet implies there may be a variant with a thread but the STX-35331-4N-TR   4N is 4 pole No thread...
datasheet: https://www.mouser.co.uk/datasheet/2/222/STX35331-334673.pdf
disclaimer I have not actually used one of these, I just did a mouser search and this might fit your needs.

Yeah same - that means I can’t just use the panel nut to affix the board to the chassis. How odd.

3 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

Yeah same - that means I can’t just use the panel nut to affix the board to the chassis. How odd.

they all seem to be classified and mobile phone stereo connectors..... and I guess module phone manufacturers do not care about socket robustness...

I checked radio spares - same selection as mouser however farnell has

https://uk.farnell.com/lumberg/1502-02/socket-3-5mm-jack-4way/dp/1368639?st=3.5mm 4 pole

its panel mount but not really pcb mount 😞 

same with

https://uk.farnell.com/pro-signal/mj-079/connector-3-5mm-phono-jack-4pole/dp/1267373?MER=sy-me-pd-mi-alte

just go 4 pin XLR.....

Edited by jamesmking

10 hours ago, jamesmking said:

they all seem to be classified and mobile phone stereo connectors..... and I guess module phone manufacturers do not care about socket robustness...

I checked radio spares - same selection as mouser however farnell has

https://uk.farnell.com/lumberg/1502-02/socket-3-5mm-jack-4way/dp/1368639?st=3.5mm 4 pole

its panel mount but not really pcb mount 😞 

same with

https://uk.farnell.com/pro-signal/mj-079/connector-3-5mm-phono-jack-4pole/dp/1267373?MER=sy-me-pd-mi-alte

just go 4 pin XLR.....

Thanks! I ended up just going with a panel jack and wiring. I needed it to fit in an existing toggle switch hole. Just sent boards off to get made - posted the board in another thread...