Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

Thanks for the input.

I use the software FlatCAM to convert CNC files from gerbers. Eventually I found the way to invert a gerber with just one push at one button. I’m very embarrassed I didn’t noticed the button, it has been in front of my nose all the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I have arrived from northern Europe some 2SK216 (thanks Joamat 😉 ) but I have doubts as to whether they are original

What do you think? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have tested them and they all give more or less the same values although looking at the data.

spacer.png 

Edited by jose

46 minutes ago, jose said:

I have arrived from northern Europe some 2SK216 (thanks Joamat 😉 ) but I have doubts as to whether they are original

What do you think? 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have tested them and they all give more or less the same values although looking at the data.

spacer.png 

Are the pin connections correct?. Most of the fake 2SK216s are remarked devices and they don't have the same pinout. Not a guarantee, but a strong indication.

Edited by UFN

2 hours ago, jose said:

What do you think? 

testing breakdown voltages would be a good idea. Fingers crossed you have a real ones. Here is some high resolution photos of a known good one from a reliable source- and its brothers are working my T2...

Markings are printed not etched and are a greyish cream colour not white. (photo has been colour balanced). Ends of legs are fairly sharp.

_MG_6207.thumb.jpg.2df253b43249c13b5a03a53ce06c22f3.jpg

close up of the circular area in the middle. Lighting adjusted to make the text in the dimple more readable at the expense of the printed markings. Text in the dimple is raised. The starting angle relative to the top of the transistor for the word MALAYISA and the associated number and letters in the dimple varies between the 216s I have.

_MG_6208.thumb.jpg.4d5f087921df1daa9da262b63ce13c7a.jpg

_MG_6209.thumb.jpg.c973120da476b1d845b75ed5d2fd9ff8.jpg

Edited by jamesmking
  • Like 1

From an appearance stand point, the genuine 2SK216 I have all have the wider part of the pins being much longer than typical TO-220 parts. The one Jose shows does look the part (and consistent with the one James shows).

Edited by mwl168

35 minutes ago, jose said:

I tested it with my old DY294 and I have breakdown voltages from 1470 to 1485v.

Hmm, that seems awfully high for the 2SK216. I was expecting 200V or slightly higher.

Nice microscopic photos.

Edited by mwl168
  • Like 1

the style of that 6 in the 2sk216 seems a lot different from mine. But maybe they changed font...

perhaps its a 7s2sk216 (7 2sk216 is series. in a single package)... 🤪

I just tested a few of mine. Setup on the DY294 : selected NPN 

gate and source connected to the emitter on the dy294

drain connected to collector on the dy294

and I get around 230V breakdown. spec sheet says 200V....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My peak dca75 in identify mode says the following:

N-Ch Enhancement mode MOSFET
Vgs(on)=0.557V at Id=5.01mA and Ig=0µA
Vgs(off)=0.080V at Id=5.3µA
gm=25.6mA/V at Id=3.0mA to 5.0mA
Rds(on)=6.1Ω at Id=5.0mA and Vgs=8.0V
with body diode

Edited by jamesmking
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jamesmking said:

I just tested a few of mine. Setup on the dy295: selected NPN 

gate and source connected to the emitter on the dy294

drain connected to collector on the dy294

and I get around 230V breakdown. spec sheet says 200V....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

source left disconnected otherwise same setup

gate connected to the emitter on the dy294

drain connected to collector

and I get around 255V breakdown. 

-----------------------------------------

Thanks James I was checking them with a wrong connection.

Now I can read from 230 to 235v 

spacer.png

PD. I'm sorry it's hard to hold all of this with one hand

Edited by jose
  • Like 2

Great to hear about the new measurements which are in line with genuine 2SK216. 

When testing field effect transistors DY294 manual says  “A short circuit should be formed between G and S pin. Otherwise the transistor can easily be damaged.”

To make testing of k216/j79 a bit easier I’ve made a simple adapter for the DY294 tester.

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 1:13 AM, JoaMat said:

To make testing of k216/j79 a bit easier I’ve made a simple adapter for the DY294 tester.

Hey JoaMat, what adapter is this, can you please share? Need to test all mine for the DIY T2. 

rather than create an adapter I soldered clip leads onto the pcb and ran the leads through the existing holes in the plastic case: The clips also allow me to use adapters for sot23 etc etc. (the same adapters I also use with my peak dca75 transistor tester and identifier)

1383335734_IMG_20210507_1339387531.thumb.jpg.9c384730bcc0aa86dfbb508a1d18dba8.jpgIMG_20210507_135044654.thumb.jpg.4c2598efc729582987efc001df17fd41.jpg

Edited by jamesmking
  • Like 1

I don't have either of the devices that James has (dy294 or the peak atlas dca75... wish I did), but I built an adapter for the Toshiba dual JFETs using a zig-zag socket, a piece of PCB board, and some thick diode leads. I'll try to post a pic later. This, in conjunction with James' mod with the clip leads, would make this easy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, starcat said:

Hey JoaMat, what adapter is this, can you please share? Need to test all mine for the DIY T2. 

I’m out of town for a couple of days, but I see if I can post a picture of it when back home. Basically it just a piece of pcb, some three pin socket (green I think) and two wires. 

• Like 1

Adapter was the magic word. Made one with a 3-pin Dupont connector... very easy to swap the transistors. Thank you very much, champs! 

IMG_1662.thumb.JPG.269adb8d7bf472d287cc319f0ad75a81.JPG

The 2cs3675 test somewhere between 1030-1120V on the DY294. 

Any special test procedures I should follow? Testing first with the Peak DCA75 checking pin's and type then the breakdown voltage with the DY294.

IMG_1664.thumb.JPG.8ea9619f54458f18daa61eb76a74a8df.JPG

Edited by starcat
  • Like 4

That’s similar to what I do. But I have left and middle pins connected to one wire going to E on the meter while the third pin goes to C. When I measure j79/k216 I just put the transistor into the socket (be aware of orientation). For c3675 and a1486 I put their C and E pins into socket accordingly.  

When measuring breakdown voltages C and E are involved. If you want to measure Collector Emitter breakdown voltage than Collector to C and Emitter to E while Base is floating. In case you are measuring a Mosfet you should connect Drain to C and Source and Gate to E.

Duoyi DY294 Operating Instructions.pdf

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, starcat said:

Here is the simple adapter I made.

IMG_0405.thumb.jpg.d67340751161f47c25ba0148e852e43f.jpg

Black wire connected to left and middle pins of the green holder and red wire to right pin. Black banana to E on the meter and red to C.

At some point I must have changed C and E connectors on the meter to bananas but I can’t remember having done that…

P.S.

Found this in cyber space:

https://jestineyong.com/duoyi-dy294-meter-repair/

https://www.pa4tim.nl/?p=6022

• Like 2