Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

I am in process of collecting parts for T2. All available except those one:

KSC5026MOS
IXCP10M90S

And time of delivery always move right. For example for IXCP10M90S it was around 04/2022 but now in both shops mouser, digikey phrases like this:

On Order: 1,843 Expected 8/9/2022

It took some time 😪

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2021 at 8:47 AM, Craig Sawyers said:

On 8/17/2021 at 9:35 AM, Beefy said:

Yep, looks about right. I bet they use the same casing across all the styles, and just use two of the same LED for the single color version, meaning polarity doesn't matter. And for the 19+ mm sizing, contacts rated at 250V 3A just like the eSwitch I've used recently.

To @penmarker, again, maybe I'm overly cuatious, but I think you are much better served using a quality switch of known providence.

For these, if machining a front panel with a 1-1.5mm recess for the outer bezel, would you have the cavity cut at the datasheet size (22 or 25 mm), or would you add a bit to this dimension? The eSwitch datasheets show a tolerance for the overall body, but not for the bezel.

7 hours ago, Pars said:

For these, if machining a front panel with a 1-1.5mm recess for the outer bezel, would you have the cavity cut at the datasheet size (22 or 25 mm), or would you add a bit to this dimension? The eSwitch datasheets show a tolerance for the overall body, but not for the bezel.

Ah, so you want the entire bezel to sit flush? That could look quite interesting. Just note that the way the ULV7 switches slope inwards around the edge, you might actually have a gap. I think you'd only need a 0.5 mm recess on the entire 2.0 mm that it normally stands proud of panel to get a meld-into-the-panel effect.

In any case, I just measured the two 25 mm switches installed in the gear on my desk as best as I could with calipers. Came up with 24.92 ± 0.2 mm over several measurements.

Thanks Nate, but I already have an order in with Modushop and will just need to wing it. I'll probably go a little big on diameter (25.2 for a 25mm switch). I don't have the switches yet. That panel will be re-anodized after machining, so should look fine.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 8:54 AM, Pars said:

One more stupid question regarding vandal switches. The eSwitch ones I am looking at have 3V LEDs. None of the PSUs in the equipment have anything near this (+/-30V in one, +45V in the other). Do you just use a series dropping resistor, voltage divider, or what to accommodate these? I'm guessing trying to change out the LED(s) in one of these switches would probably be a good time if you fried it :)

26 minutes ago, Pars said:

One more stupid question regarding vandal switches. The eSwitch ones I am looking at have 3V LEDs. None of the PSUs in the equipment have anything near this (+/-30V in one, +45V in the other). Do you just use a series dropping resistor, voltage divider, or what to accommodate these? I'm guessing trying to change out the LED(s) in one of these switches would probably be a good time if you fried it :)

Series dropping resistor. I used a few hundred ohms on a 5V power supply, about 7k ohms on a 27V power supply.

The internal resistor value and LED Vf aren't specified, so there was a tiny bit of trial and error to get the value exactly right, but I managed to get pretty close to 3mA on the two different power supplies with spare parts.

One other quick question: the datasheet shows panel depth of 1-10mm. Have you used this on a 10mm panel, and did it fit OK? I'm rethinking doing the cavity inset, but might put a 2mm cavity or so on the back side. Otherwise, just have the hole drilled and use in 10mm panel.

1 hour ago, Pars said:

One other quick question: the datasheet shows panel depth of 1-10mm. Have you used this on a 10mm panel, and did it fit OK? I'm rethinking doing the cavity inset, but might put a 2mm cavity or so on the back side. Otherwise, just have the hole drilled and use in 10mm panel.

I use https://uk.farnell.com/alcoswitch-te-connectivity/av1921e712q04/vandal-resistant-sw-dpst-3a-250vac/dp/2565144?st=dpst latching

AV1921E712Q04 definitely fits a 10mm panel without any recess.

2309534.pdf

Edited by jamesmking
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Pars said:

The other option is to have the panel threaded to match the pitch on the switch so you literally thread it thru.  I've had to do that in a pinch on a really thick panel but would avoid it if possible, it's high risk (fit).  I'd opt for the back side recess which I've successfully done after the fact if push comes to shove.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 10:39 AM, bbest said:

I am in process of collecting parts for T2. All available except those one:

KSC5026MOS
IXCP10M90S

I saw IXCY1090S are used for GRHV.   Aren't they OK for T2 CCS as well?   IXCP is hopeless, but at least IXCY still can be found.  I don't know where to find a small board to convert SMD to TO220 pattern though.

16 hours ago, ibuski said:

I saw IXCY1090S are used for GRHV.   Aren't they OK for T2 CCS as well?   IXCP is hopeless, but at least IXCY still can be found.  I don't know where to find a small board to convert SMD to TO220 pattern though.

Thermal resistance 100k/w instead 80k/w..... I think it can be used, but I would make an accurate calculations before. And you will need a board with a full metal polygon and a way to mount it on heatsink. It is gonna to be cumbersome. 

Anyway I can't find IXCY too.

Edited by Rinat
  • Like 1

Yes, arrow is reliable. And they take private individuals as customers. Since they have multiple warehouses around the US, if you order much, you will get multiple shipments, in big boxes (for the items being ordered/shipped). Kind of irritating, but they are reliable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ibuski said:

arrow.com seems having 103 pcs. of stock.   Are they reliable?  Do they take private customers?  I don't know.

Yea, I've bought a few parts for T2 from arrow. They have not a great customer support for individuals, but all parts are genuine. 

• Like 1

Hi Guys. I'm starting a GRLV build for a Dynalo. I've found a set of pcb's, but I'm finding it difficult to find MJW21193 & MJW21194 transistors.  MJW21195 and MJW21196 for replacements are 40+ weeks out at Mouser. I haven't found any elsewhere. Does anyone know where I could source some or a suitable alternative?

Thanks.

When you still have difficulties to find 2SA1943/2SC5200 (probably not, as they were so popular), Toshiba sells their successors TTA1943/TTC5200 also.  They should be a bit cheaper than 2SA/2SC, and have better performance with modern technology.  In below thread I find sentences "TT transistors showed outstanding endurance levels. These transistors were almost indestructible and extremely rugged well in excess of MIL standards".

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/2sc5200-and-ttc5200.233303/

• Like 2