Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

If it’s ksc5026 in KGSShv style power supply you can probably use stn0216 stn0214 intstead. Solder it standing on the to126 pads (might be to220 pads on your board?). Power dissipation there is something like 40 – 60 mW, I think.

Edited by JoaMat
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JoaMat said:

If it’s ksc5026 in KGSShv style power supply you can probably use stn0216 intstead. Solder it standing on the to126 pads (might be to220 pads on your board?). Power dissipation there is something like 40 – 60 mW, I think.

you mean this one

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/STN0214?qs=pmcUWs1B1IKOCzUPe9wAgg%3D%3D

stn0214? So tiny

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been using the DN2540 in TO-92 package since my first Carbon build without any problems on the amp board. However I’ve seen two instances where the DN2540 on the GRHV developed a Drain-to-gate leakage. That caused excess current thru the HV PNP. In one case (my own build) it was caught in time and didn’t do any real damage, in the other case (someone else’s board with a TO220 DN2540) the PCB was cooked, the ST9360 failed and brought down both the BC557s. The leakage problem is regardless of the DN2540 package. I’m suspecting in the cascode CCS there may be a corner case where it is stressed beyond the safe limit.

2 hours ago, simmconn said:

I’ve been using the DN2540 in TO-92 package since my first Carbon build without any problems on the amp board. However I’ve seen two instances where the DN2540 on the GRHV developed a Drain-to-gate leakage. That caused excess current thru the HV PNP. In one case (my own build) it was caught in time and didn’t do any real damage, in the other case (someone else’s board with a TO220 DN2540) the PCB was cooked, the ST9360 failed and brought down both the BC557s. The leakage problem is regardless of the DN2540 package. I’m suspecting in the cascode CCS there may be a corner case where it is stressed beyond the safe limit.

did the SiC survive (someone else’s board with a TO220 DN2540)?

8 minutes ago, simmconn said:

The SiC did survive and still tested good all the way to 1700V on a curve tracer. I guess the ST9360 had a slow death and the BC557s gave up before more current could damage the SiC. 

I've seen similar. 
DN2540 leaking usually shows up as the output voltage of the PSU drifting.
As far as I remember the supplies breaking down was all wired as negative rails.
However, I have not seen it on any GRHV using the cpc1117. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

pray to the deity of semiconductor manufacturing (in a reverential voice tinged with grief)....

🙏

oh Nosemi please hear our plea for our DIY hobby....

in the name of silicon

please bless us with some manufacturing

and fill up our inventories

In the name of NPN and PNP

blessed are the mosfets, depletion or enhancement

for the DIYers shall inherit 10M90S

and it was good

Let not the ebay scammers rebrand and re-etch

for they will be accountable to silicon

and burn in the foundries of ixys

for all eternity

Let it be known Toshiba and NEC will escape Renesas

Sanyo and Fairchild will rise again

and return to us all

for now and for evermore

Ahmen.

(The DIY hymn book chapter 11 covid 19 to recession 2008 verses 1-4)

Edited by jamesmking
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/14/2023 at 7:53 PM, nopants said:

You guys know any other places that sell baseplates similar to what hifi2000 has?

image.thumb.png.34158b9c7a0be402d9ca9777138921d2.png

I've used a few smaller ones and I'm pretty hooked, but shipping from Italy for the larger plates is a bit of a pain.

Does the diyaudio store have the one you want? They have US stock, so should be cheaper.

19 hours ago, Pars said:

Does the diyaudio store have the one you want? They have US stock, so should be cheaper.

Sorry I wasn't clear- that page is from the diyaudio store, when you add a few pieces to the cart they tack on like 50 dollars shipping. I'll just grab a few extras when I buy the next case from them.

I'm looking to build a Gilmore CFA3 and GRLV, anyone have boards available?

Also, some sand is out of stock. Does anyone have the following, or know if the following subs will be OK:

CFA3:

MJF15030G: Can I sub MJE15028G? It has 120v C-E voltage vs 150v of the orig, and I'd need shoulder washers/isolation washers.

PZTA56 Can I sub DPLS4140E-13 ?

GRLV:

MJW21194G Can't find a decent sub here. Thoughts?

DN2540N3-G Can I sub DN2540N3-G-P003 Seems the same. Confirmed

OPA134, I assume I can sub the SMD version with an adapter board, but the SMD version is out of stock too... Other good subs? OPA228?  opa228 Confirmed

Transformers:

These three were recommended. Any reason to pick one over the other? The 30v 1.67A one is considerably smaller, still "enough"? 30V vs 24V practical differences?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/553-VPT24-4170

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/553-VPT30-3330

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/553-VPT30-1670

Many thanks!