Part Sourcing Assistance/Advice Thread

n_maher

I would check octopart.com and see if you can find any of the semis from a distributor. For the DN2540N3s the other part would be fine if it is the TO92 package you need, not TO220. For the MJW21194, I would look for the 21196 as well (higher rated).

If you are in the US, I would use Antek transformers. Something like this: https://www.antekinc.com/as-1230-100va-30v-transformer/

Dual primaries, shielded. These work very well. They also have 28V or 24V if you want to drop that a bit. If you are in Europe, not sure what shipping would look like for these. Otherwise there are probably better options in Europe than buying transformers from Mouser.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pars said:

I would check octopart.com and see if you can find any of the semis from a distributor. For the DN2540N3s the other part would be fine if it is the TO92 package you need, not TO220. For the MJW21194, I would look for the 21196 as well (higher rated).

If you are in the US, I would use Antek transformers. Something like this: https://www.antekinc.com/as-1230-100va-30v-transformer/

Dual primaries, shielded. These work very well. They also have 28V or 24V if you want to drop that a bit. If you are in Europe, not sure what shipping would look like for these. Otherwise there are probably better options in Europe than buying transformers from Mouser.

Fantastic, thanks Pars!

5 hours ago, Pars said:

Is it OK to mix PNP with a higher rated NPN? Or do I need to stick with exact complimentary?

Is it frowned upon to make a separate post asking if anyone has any here, or should it be kept to this thread?

Fake? https://www.ebay.com/itm/282183443413?hash=item41b371a3d5:g:jP4AAOSwzaJX39va&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4GNkEAQg%2FjOoJrNbKOJ3YaRLeg52WKNNfGrDBY1l0slSvaMPH7MJnW0I64%2BTbeD8jMBQA7QT8cpwRskwq6CyyplgPfiDufQl%2FrUnMqnLqmnfzXg2RGmvEQLiiyOxbQNl6PJtUwMpn0LnxgFdd1PePd9BZEego1aQXXGc9plAwLjbD2hZlILkhLpPoNwUdd12DNpWDURBcvdYhllWIOqHXyTo96mvEFNcP9dNhfEvlamuJXv%2BWCcwuBXfCqPNlw4%2BuaMu1dDnqylObWBvWi40C85rrpfcJERfX4fuS5jB%2BF%2Fm|tkp%3ABFBMnIXUtsxh

There is no such thing as exact complementary transistors. The effective masses for holes and electrons are quite different, as are hole and electron mobilities. So no matter how you tweak the transistor geometries to get some sort of match, there are always differences between npn and pnp complementary transistors.

7 hours ago, jokerman777 said:

New to ES headphones and am currently waiting on these back ordered parts to build a KGSSHV, trying my luck here in case if someone knows any reliable source having them in stock or has spare ones to get rid of. :) 

4 x STN9360

3 x IXCP10M90S (TO220)

4 x KSC5026M

radio spares and farnell has STN9360

IXCP10M90S and KSC5026M have been out of stock for a while and look to be out of stock for sometime. 😞

I've sucessfully used stn0214 as replacement for ksc5026M as per JoaMat's recommendation in several other builds. Don't know the heat dissipation requirement for the position where they are used in KGSSHV, but someone more knowledgeable than me might chime in here. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice! My mouser updates tell me that (which is probably not new info):

STN9360 a batch of production is done and is on the way to warehouse now so I guess they will be back in stock soonish.

10M90S says production in process so despite long wait time probably will come back.

KSC5026M it says "Production Issues Reported - Delivery Unknown" which doesn't look good 😅

I wonder if I can do 2SC3840 instead? it's in the PSU and for no reason and understanding I thought I need to either use 2SC3840/2SA1486 or KSC5026M/KSA1156 in complimentary pairs... but since 2SC3840/KSA1156 is what I can get realistically...

btw I think I'm going to use STP8NK80ZFP instead of the obsolete FQPF8N80C, at a glance the specs looks very similar other than a different Id rating and speed.

54 minutes ago, jokerman777 said:

Thanks for the advice! My mouser updates tell me that (which is probably not new info):

STN9360 a batch of production is done and is on the way to warehouse now so I guess they will be back in stock soonish.

10M90S says production in process so despite long wait time probably will come back.

KSC5026M it says "Production Issues Reported - Delivery Unknown" which doesn't look good 😅

I wonder if I can do 2SC3840 instead? it's in the PSU and for no reason and understanding I thought I need to either use 2SC3840/2SA1486 or KSC5026M/KSA1156 in complimentary pairs... but since 2SC3840/KSA1156 is what I can get realistically...

btw I think I'm going to use STP8NK80ZFP instead of the obsolete FQPF8N80C, at a glance the specs looks very similar other than a different Id rating and speed.

FQPF8N80C is still available from radio spares: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mosfets/1454316 and https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mosfets/6715326 and https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mosfets/6715326P

KSC5027 might be an alternative to KSC5026 in the longer term - different package TO-220, higher current and wattage BUT different pinout

Edited by jamesmking
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 2:21 PM, MLA said:

I've sucessfully used stn0214 as replacement for ksc5026M as per JoaMat's recommendation in several other builds. Don't know the heat dissipation requirement for the position where they are used in KGSSHV, but someone more knowledgeable than me might chime in here. 

Not so far ago it was expected in JUL-23 on mouser, but now shift to 19-Aug-24. So only stn0214.

here said https://www.mouser.com/PCN/onsemi_Generic_PD24419ZB.pdf it could be replaced on FQP8N80C, but mouser also suggested STP8NK80ZFP

Edited by bbest

Thanks, looking at the datasheet I think the KSC5027 jamesmking suggested might be a better fit and pretty legit replacement for KSC5026M? the specs looks like they are the same thing other than the 5027 can handle more dissipation (I only know how to read numbers so I can be dead wrong). TO-220 should fit into the TO-126 footprint, base and emitter pin are swapped so just need to flip it when soldering it in?

I'm also curious what makes the 10M90S special to be a current regulator IC? The datasheet label the pins as G/A/K (gate, anode, cathode?), is it basically a MOSFET? 

You can use just about any NPN transistor with sufficient BV(CEO) and BV(CBO) rating and not too much Cob (usually means not a high current part). If the Cob is too small on the replacement part, you may want to increase the value of the compensation cap (5pf).

For the 10M90S, rumor says (in its SPICE model notes) it has an internal OPAMP so it would be more complex than just a depletion mode MOSFET. In fact the actual part performs even better than the SPICE model which only has a depletion mode MOSFET and a body diode. I guess that makes the G/A/K notion more appropriate and the manufacturer can continue to charge $4 a pop.😉

You can use IXTP01N100D to replace the 10M90S  in most places if you can't wait to get the amp up and running. Some resistor values need to be tuned to get to the current the circuit was originally designed for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, simmconn said:

You can use just about any NPN transistor with sufficient BV(CEO) and BV(CBO) rating and not too much Cob (usually means not a high current part). If the Cob is too small on the replacement part, you may want to increase the value of the compensation cap (5pf).

For the 10M90S, rumor says (in its SPICE model notes) it has an internal OPAMP so it would be more complex than just a depletion mode MOSFET. In fact the actual part performs even better than the SPICE model which only has a depletion mode MOSFET and a body diode. I guess that makes the G/A/K notion more appropriate and the manufacturer can continue to charge $4 a pop.😉

You can use IXTP01N100D to replace the 10M90S  in most places if you can't wait to get the amp up and running. Some resistor values need to be tuned to get to the current the circuit was originally designed for.

Very helpful info, thanks Simmconn! I was searching for high voltage depletion mode MOSFET and IXTP01N100D indeed came to the map. I kinda do want to get the amp running before the of expected shipping date of those transistors which takes months. Been sitting on a pair of X9000s that I can't listen to without an amp for a good while now.

I don't know if I'm doing this correctly I took a rough guess of the current running thru the 10m90s based on its datasheet.

bias_supply.thumb.PNG.169e7e4483dc5c5f52b24686532c14e4.PNGHV_supply.thumb.PNG.e9a73a15751553f472725ece5ca36573.PNG

And seems to use IXTP01N100D for replacement I should find the Vgs that gives the same Id and then get the Rk value from Vgs/Id? Tho the figure in the datasheet doesn't have the resolution for this application 😵

IXTP01N100D.PNG.919d6290ccbdb2b7f1e5c6a78123e4fb.PNG

You can put together a test circuit using a trimmer pot and dial in the target current with say, 50V across the CCS and get the resistor value, something like the post here.

It's okay if the actual current is a couple of mA higher than designed. It will turn to heat on the Zener diodes and won't burn a hole on your board.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, jokerman777 said:

Thanks, it shows back-ordered again on the UK site now, back to living with 5027s  

😬 either someone just purchased almost 2K in one go or the stock notification I got was an error, or the shipment to farnell got hijacked 😞

digikey still says expected stock around 26th june...

Edited by jamesmking

Transformers (US): Is SumR still a good transformer? Trying to get a quote from him, but Richard seems to get confused easily. I was asking about encapsulation and provided a picture of the 2x30 transformer he did back during the dynaFet GB (2010) just to ask if that is what an encapsulated transformer looks like, and he provided me a spec sheet (for a quote) on that transformer, in addition to the one I was asking for. He still hasn't come back with pricing yet. I realize 1-2 transformers is small potatoes, but still...

That's unfortunate.. I been planning on getting a set of power transformers for T2 build from SumR.

Any recommendation on other good winders within North America who'd do custom one-off toroids? Other alternatives I heard mostly are from EU, prefer not to get heavy irons from overseas unless running out of options....